Jake Long close to signing deal with Dolphins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Long close to signing deal with Dolphins

NBCSports.com's Tom Curran reports the Dolphins are nearing a contract agreement with Michigan OT Jake Long.

-----

Talk about taking the suspense out of the NFL Draft.

Rorshach's Journal

I'm gonna jump on this bandwagon.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

We'll see...
      Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

here's the link : http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/arch...t-the-top.html

Comment

I already sent my final updated mock to Walter, with Jake as the #1 overall pick.

Comment

Maybe Ireland was bull****ting about the "pillar of the defense."
            Last edited by Matt McGuire; 04-21-2008, 11:52 AM.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

From PFT http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

The other odd dynamic here is that Jake Long and Gholston are represented by the same firm, CAA.
              If it’s true that the Fins intend to pay less money to the No. 1 pick than the No. 1 pick from a year ago received, we’d be shocked if Jake Long is the guy, absent a change in agents. If Tom Condon wouldn’t allow his name to appear on a six-year deal for late first-rounder Benjamin Watson of the Patriots several years ago, there’s no way that Condon would attach his Han**** to a contract that represents a reduction in the value of being the first overall selection in the NFL draft.
              So we tend to think that this is a ploy from the Dolphins to get Gholston to tell CAA’s Ben Dogra that whatever the Fins are offering had better be accepted. Now.
              2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

How can they have Gholston rated ahead of Chris Long? Are you kidding me?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  How can they have Gholston rated ahead of Chris Long? Are you kidding me?
                  I don't take too much stock into what PFT has to say

Comment

is it still a lock?

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                      I don't take too much stock into what PFT has to say
                      Also remember its not Condon's choice, its Long's choice. Condon is just there to negotiate the best deal possible and advise Long on what to do.

And ultimately it counter productive for Long to not take it. If he signs as the #1 overall choice at a low ball offer, then every contract will be lowballed from there down.

Bottom line, if Long passes on the deal and Gholston takes it, it is still the #1 overall pick, and still has the same domino effect. Only difference is Jake's contract will be even smaller if he passes on Miami's deal.

Comment

I'm not sure if I agree with that, Craig. Just because No. 1 would lowball him doesn't mean No. 2 would. Maybe No. 2 would try to, but that would just lead to an ugly holdout until the team could cave. If No. 1 signs a low deal, there could be a ton of holdouts in the top 10.
                        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome believes that the Dolphins will take Virginia DE/OLB Chris Long if they can't trade out of the No. 1 overall pick.

A more recent report indicated that Jake Long is close to finalizing a deal with Miami. Newsome thinks it's all a Bill Parcells smokescreen. "Right now, probably half of you think Jake Long is going to be the No. 1 pick," Newsome said. "I’d probably smile and say that’s not going to happen."

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/...king-jake.html

What do you really know Ozzie? (That was not meant to be sarcastic)
                          WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                          Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                            I'm not sure if I agree with that, Craig. Just because No. 1 would lowball him doesn't mean No. 2 would. Maybe No. 2 would try to, but that would just lead to an ugly holdout until the team could cave. If No. 1 signs a low deal, there could be a ton of holdouts in the top 10.
                            that would start a slippery slope for every draft where the #2 player can get more than #1... people thought reggie bush would do that when mario williams went #1 a few years ago. This isnt impossible, but imagine how the already out of hand rookie contracts would get if they didnt represent the order the players were picked.
                            Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

I really have no idea what is going on.

If Bill Parcells was a poker player, he'd be a really tough one to beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X