Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUST READ Chris Steuber article

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/746393.html

Great breakdown, I agree with everything he says.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

I still think Jake Long's best comparison is to Matt Light.

He also said:

"...so they can acquire more picks in a draft that doesn’t have a true No. 1 pick?"

That really threw me off.

Comment

I think Jake Long is a much better prospect than Robert Gallery was. Gallery, although great in pass protection, lacked the mauler mentality and the strength to back it up. I know combines don't count for much to you, Matt, but even you can't ignore 37 vs. 24 reps on the bench press.
      - Also known as Dan.
      - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Matt Light is an average run blocker. Jake Long is a great run blocker.

No comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
          I think Jake Long is a much better prospect than Robert Gallery was. Gallery, although great in pass protection, lacked the mauler mentality and the strength to back it up. I know combines don't count for much to you, Matt, but even you can't ignore 37 vs. 24 reps on the bench press.
          If it was about bench presses, then Tony Mandarich would have been a 10 time pro bowler.

Comment

Yeah, but when comparing the two, Jake Long has much more strength.

I don't think Jake Long will be great enough to ever warrant the #1 selection, but I don't think he'll bust like Robert Gallery. Steuber's analysis matches mine: Jake Long is fierce in run blocking, and a major reason why Mike Hart was ever given consideration for #1 round status (Even if it was a while ago.).

Gallery never had that fierceness, partially because he didn't have the physical component, but also he just wasn't tough in initiating blocks.
            - Also known as Dan.
            - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

I agree blaze, I have never once doubted Long's effort or run blocking (but i wish he was thicker like a pace or jones).

But at some time the quarterback will drop back, adn jake long doesn't have the explosive feet to handle the speed, especially in the AFC.

You don't draft #1 for pure run blocking. You can improve there. Joe Thomas will get bigger and will imrpove. Hard to improve on pass protection.

Jake Long's technique can't get much better, i don't see the upside in him.

Counter argument for all the people "what about chris long's upside": chris long has very good athleticism. Not elite quick twitch speed, but outstanding agility and has a veyr good first step. Great pass rush repitoire.

Chris Long doesn't have much upside because his technique and motor is flawless, but he is a better athlete than jake long. And that is why I am sticking with Chris Long at #1.

Comment

I am not arguing with a single point of yours except one.

I think it's looking more and more likely that Jake Long will be the #1 selection. Is it the smart move? HELL no. If the Dolphins had any idea what they were doing, Chris Long would be the #1 selection. It makes too much sense not to pick him, but maybe the Tuna sees something in Jake that we don't.
                - Also known as Dan.

Comment

If Jake Long does go #1 overall, I'm hoping Gholston goes to the Jets. That could set up some intrigue twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                    If Jake Long does go #1 overall, I'm hoping Gholston goes to the Jets. That could set up some intrigue twice a year.
                    lol told walter that like 7 minutes ago

Comment

That would. I think has a chance of happening.

Comment

Except I'm not positive on this, but would Miami start Long at RT? If the Jets draft Gholston he would be ROLB (I'm just guessing here) because Pace would be the rush LOLB who would be going up against the LT to get the QB from behind. Then the Long and Gholston matchup in the AFC East would make sense to me.

Did I confuse anyone here?
                        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                          Except I'm not positive on this, but would Miami start Long at RT? If the Jets draft Gholston he would be ROLB (I'm just guessing here) because Pace would be the rush LOLB who would be going up against the LT to get the QB from behind. Then the Long and Gholston matchup in the AFC East would make sense to me.

Did I confuse anyone here?
                          You confused me, so I'll try and put my opinion in simple terms.

Calvin Pace is better off as going against a RT while Gholston should go against LTs. I assume Miami starts Jake Long at LT.

Comment

Working...
                          X