No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not crazy about the Steelers draft. I think Washington and Samuels will be players, but Edmunds is yet another boom/bust player in the first, I'm not a fan of Ruldoph as a prospect, and the lineman that they took may have been taken too early, though Munchak could work some magic there. They just didn't improve the roster enough. It has already prompted some Ben whining about Bryant and Ruldoph, which is some distraction that this team doesn't need.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
      I'm not crazy about the Steelers draft. I think Washington and Samuels will be players, but Edmunds is yet another boom/bust player in the first, I'm not a fan of Ruldoph as a prospect, and the lineman that they took may have been taken too early, though Munchak could work some magic there. They just didn't improve the roster enough. It has already prompted some Ben whining about Bryant and Ruldoph, which is some distraction that this team doesn't need.
      You don't like Allen?
      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

You don't like Allen?
        I like him, but he seems to be more of what they already have: an SS kind of guy. Then again, who knows what their plans on defense are at this point.
        sigpic

Comment

Obviously there may be injury concerns with Williams and LVE, but not being a doctor I'll trust the guys that get payed by NFL teams to make the determination there. I'd also much rather worry about Williams knee than a Randy Gregory drug problem again. IMO Gallup looks like a solid to high level #2 WR, and Schultz was a damn steal. For my money, Dallas had the 2nd best class this year behind only the Giants. We'll see how it works out 3 or so years from now.
          Word. I'm not crazy about Schultz but he can probably replace Hanna at least. Surprised it took this long for Garrett to draft a Stanford tight end considering the offenses that we and they run.

I know I **** on my team a lot, but I honestly believe they've been the single best drafting team of the last 5 years. It's one of the few football-related things they get right as an organization.
          CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

Comment

• Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

Word. I'm not crazy about Schultz but he can probably replace Hanna at least. Surprised it took this long for Garrett to draft a Stanford tight end considering the offenses that we and they run.

I know I **** on my team a lot, but I honestly believe they've been the single best drafting team of the last 5 years. It's one of the few football-related things they get right as an organization.
            Yeah, in retrospect they have killed it on the offensive side of the ball. Haven't been impressed with their defensive acquisitions though. Between injury issues and character risks, always seems like there's something wrong there.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by whatdoyouwant711 View Post

If you don't like Schultz you are, in fact, crazy. You're right though, ever since the Travis Frederick draft they have been doing a very good job in the draft for the most part. I think this year was better than usual. Normally, I feel Jerry wouldn't be able to keep himself from gambling on Arden Key in the 2nd but they managed to stop that foolishness this year.
              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

I like him, but he seems to be more of what they already have: an SS kind of guy. Then again, who knows what their plans on defense are at this point.
                My thought is maybe he is better than what they have as a SS type. If I were to be hopeful, I'd say it could allow them to play some 3-3-5 as a base with an extra safety on early downs, but we all know that won't happen.
                Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

My thought is maybe he is better than what they have as a SS type. If I were to be hopeful, I'd say it could allow them to play some 3-3-5 as a base with an extra safety on early downs, but we all know that won't happen.
                  This is what they should do. This is what they are built to do. But this is what they won't do. 2-4-5, all day. Despite not really having the roster for it. I get that LB wasn't deep this year but you have to adjust for that.

As far as SS type players, that's all they have. Allen, Burnett, Davis (who will be the next casualty at FS), Edmunds (who knows), Behre (former Giant, ST guy), that's what they have. It's like they are allergic to coverage safeties, despite that being extremely helpful.

At least the offense should be good. With Ben pissy about Ruldoph, hopefully he'll be fired up this year. No excuses with the ammo they have. AB, Juju, Washington, Bell, McDonald, Samuels, etc. Tons of targets plus a good OL.
                  sigpic

Comment

This is what they should do. This is what they are built to do. But this is what they won't do. 2-4-5, all day. Despite not really having the roster for it. I get that LB wasn't deep this year but you have to adjust for that.

As far as SS type players, that's all they have. Allen, Burnett, Davis (who will be the next casualty at FS), Edmunds (who knows), Behre (former Giant, ST guy), that's what they have. It's like they are allergic to coverage safeties, despite that being extremely helpful.

At least the offense should be good. With Ben pissy about Ruldoph, hopefully he'll be fired up this year. No excuses with the ammo they have. AB, Juju, Washington, Bell, McDonald, Samuels, etc. Tons of targets plus a good OL.
                    I'd move that kid from Tenn they drafted last year to FS. He has some of the tools, and there was a good bit of talk about him moving there in the pre-draft process. Will they? Probably not. Too much ego and stubbornness wrapped up in what they do imo.

We'll see what happens with the offense. I'll be curious the first few weeks to see if it changes much with Ben's pet coordinator, but I expect them to speed down the pass happy, run only if we have to road at 100 mph.
                    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

I'd move that kid from Tenn they drafted last year to FS. He has some of the tools, and there was a good bit of talk about him moving there in the pre-draft process. Will they? Probably not. Too much ego and stubbornness wrapped up in what they do imo.

We'll see what happens with the offense. I'll be curious the first few weeks to see if it changes much with Ben's pet coordinator, but I expect them to speed down the pass happy, run only if we have to road at 100 mph.
                      Sutton? It was apparently discussed, but they want to keep him as a CB for now. He's probably their planned successor for Haden. There was rumblings that Brian Allen could be moved there, too, but with the safety heavy draft it's unlikely.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sutton? It was apparently discussed, but they want to keep him as a CB for now. He's probably their planned successor for Haden. There was rumblings that Brian Allen could be moved there, too, but with the safety heavy draft it's unlikely.
                        That's the guy! Apparently a number of teams thought he profiled better as a FS than a CB. Not surprised the Steelers aren't moving him, though. It might actually solve a problem on defense and we can't have that. Because there are no schematic or personnel problems, right?
                        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

That's the guy! Apparently a number of teams thought he profiled better as a FS than a CB. Not surprised the Steelers aren't moving him, though. It might actually solve a problem on defense and we can't have that. Because there are no schematic or personnel problems, right?
                          Haha correct! Which is why I would have been cool with a CB in the first, as someone could go to safety. But all SPARQ, all the time in rd. 1.
                          sigpic

Comment

Haha correct! Which is why I would have been cool with a CB in the first, as someone could go to safety. But all SPARQ, all the time in rd. 1.
                            Josh Jackson really fit the play making zone corner profile. I mean, let's be honest, they're gonna stay a zone team as long as Tomlin has final say. So, short of Rooney decreeing a scheme change, might as well get the best zone corners you can. On the other hand, this kid made more "business decisions" in college than Deion Sanders. Not only does he not like getting his jersey dirty, he plays like he's afraid of doing the laundry. That would have left Mike Hughes as an option, but he's undersized and might be more of a slot guy (the one spot I feel confident the team may have on lock). He also has that sexual assualt allegation from UNC in his background. And, of course, neither passes their new SPARQ threshold. I swear, if I were still a fan, I'd be beating my skull into a brick wall about now.
                            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Josh Jackson really fit the play making zone corner profile. I mean, let's be honest, they're gonna stay a zone team as long as Tomlin has final say. So, short of Rooney decreeing a scheme change, might as well get the best zone corners you can. On the other hand, this kid made more "business decisions" in college than Deion Sanders. Not only does he not like getting his jersey dirty, he plays like he's afraid of doing the laundry. That would have left Mike Hughes as an option, but he's undersized and might be more of a slot guy (the one spot I feel confident the team may have on lock). He also has that sexual assualt allegation from UNC in his background. And, of course, neither passes their new SPARQ threshold. I swear, if I were still a fan, I'd be beating my skull into a brick wall about now.
                              Honestly I'd be more upset if this was a stronger draft. But if they get 2-3 guys out of this, I'd be happy despite the moves I didn't like. They may simply need a higher draft pick to really put this defense together. Or another good draft like 2017. Then it's a matter of running a more sensible scheme.
                              Last edited by steelers_pens_fan; 05-06-2018, 08:57 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Honestly I'd be more upset if this was a stronger draft. But if they get 2-3 guys out of this, I'd be happy despite the moves I didn't like. They may simply need a higher draft pick to really put this defense together. Or another good draft like 2017. Then it's a matter of running a more sensible scheme.
                                Good luck with that. I used to think it was all Lebeau, but the zone coverage bs hasn't gotten any better, although the rush concepts seem to have improved. This is what you're running until Tomlin is gone or Rooney says otherwise.

Oddly, in the course of continuing to complain about the team drafting Rudolph, Ben accidentally made a good point. The hell did they draft Dobbs for? Did they waste that 4th rounder, mis-evaluate Dobbs or what?

Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X