2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
    I usually take a wait and see approach with next year's class. We have a whole season to get through first. There have been a lot of strong DL coming out lately though.

Kentucky always seems to have one or two interesting prospects. The question isn't wether or not Wisconsin will have good lineman, but how many TDs those lineman will score against Illinois.
    I'm just saying that going into the season that's how things look to me. Of course it's possible there are several backs I'm forgetting, but the only two that come to mind are Love and the 'bama kid.
    Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Man, I still wish the Jags had gotten Hayden Hurst and Harrison Phillips. Although, I think Chark could be a huge boon for them with his length/speed and the way everybody is going to be stacking the box to stop the run. They don't need him to be AJ Green, but if he could be Torrey Smith look out. My pre-season draft wants for the Jags are Jonah Williams (T, 'bama), Dexter Lawrence (DT, Clem), and Noah Fant/ kid from Kentucky (TE). Of course, I don't expect Lawrence to be available in the 2nd, and I didn't know he was 350lbs either. Kid is a behemoth. No, I don't believe in Dareus. Leelee would be proud.
      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
        Man, I still wish the Jags had gotten Hayden Hurst and Harrison Phillips. Although, I think Chark could be a huge boon for them with his length/speed and the way everybody is going to be stacking the box to stop the run. They don't need him to be AJ Green, but if he could be Torrey Smith look out. My pre-season draft wants for the Jags are Jonah Williams (T, 'bama), Dexter Lawrence (DT, Clem), and Noah Fant/ kid from Kentucky (TE). Of course, I don't expect Lawrence to be available in the 2nd, and I didn't know he was 350lbs either. Kid is a behemoth. No, I don't believe in Dareus. Leelee would be proud.
        Not setting the bar very high there.
        sigpic

Comment

Not setting the bar very high there.
          Honestly, they don't need to. One half-decent deep threat would patch the biggest offensive hole that they have. They excel in a lot of areas, so all they really need is to just not really, really suck at stretching the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

Honestly, they don't need to. One half-decent deep threat would patch the biggest offensive hole that they have. They excel in a lot of areas, so all they really need is to just not really, really suck at stretching the field.
            Half decent, sure. I wouldn't call that Torrey Smith though. Of course, I'm biased a bit. I still say he did more damage as a PI magnet during Flacco mortar shots than as an actual receiver.

It's just a matter of Bort hitting him enough without the usual Bort mistakes.
            sigpic

Comment

Half decent, sure. I wouldn't call that Torrey Smith though. Of course, I'm biased a bit. I still say he did more damage as a PI magnet during Flacco mortar shots than as an actual receiver.

It's just a matter of Bort hitting him enough without the usual Bort mistakes.
              A bit biased??? Dude.
              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

A bit biased??? Dude.
                Just a bit. Haha.

Training camps are coming up. Hopefully these teams can avoid as many injuries as possible. Having stars go down in August just makes the product worse.
                sigpic

Comment

Just a bit. Haha.

Training camps are coming up. Hopefully these teams can avoid as many injuries as possible. Having stars go down in August just makes the product worse.
                  I wish that we got football coverage of the preseason like baseball seems to give of their preseason. Lots more informed talk about 2nd and 3rd year players that look like they're going to step up, players that are in danger of losing their spots, roles they have in mind for rookies etc. Instead, we get a lot of filler crap.

Oh, and I'd take the best of Torrey Smith (tired of the word "prime") over any deep threat the Steelers have had in the past ten years. Difference of opinion I suppose.
                  Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

I wish that we got football coverage of the preseason like baseball seems to give of their preseason. Lots more informed talk about 2nd and 3rd year players that look like they're going to step up, players that are in danger of losing their spots, roles they have in mind for rookies etc. Instead, we get a lot of filler crap.

Oh, and I'd take the best of Torrey Smith (tired of the word "prime") over any deep threat the Steelers have had in the past ten years. Difference of opinion I suppose.
                    You could definitely argue about the 7 or so games Bryant was relevant. Those first couple of years of Wallace were fantastic though. Until he became a turd when he wanted paid.

I'd love the more informed coverage, too. Instead we have "well, the starters are on the bench. Let's hear from (insert celebrity here)!"
                    Last edited by steelers_pens_fan; 07-21-2018, 09:47 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

You could definitely argue about the 7 or so games Bryant was relevant. Those first couple of years of Wallace were fantastic though. Until he became a turd when he wanted paid.

I'd love the more informed coverage, too. Instead we have "well, the starters are on the bench. Let's hear from (insert celebrity here)!"
                      Yep. Plus this year we'll also get Rodgers/Brady/Iggles/Rams talk, even when none of them are involved in the game being broadcast. I wonder why we don't get anything better?
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Yep. Plus this year we'll also get Rodgers/Brady/Iggles/Rams talk, even when none of them are involved in the game being broadcast. I wonder why we don't get anything better?
                        Two reasons:

1. The networks think it will drum up interest in admittedly mediocre football. It does not.

2. More often than not, we get back up regional commentators. Which means misinformation, mispronounced names, unfunny references, and generally a mediocre performance. And if it's not a regional broadcast, ESPN will use backup commentators as well. Like the disastrous Rex Ryan experiment last year.

The only people that will be interested in preseason football are the hardcore fans that want to see the building blocks of player development, or who is getting extra attention for fantasy purposes. A more analytical approach would make sense.
                        ​​​​​​
                        sigpic

Comment

Two reasons:

1. The networks think it will drum up interest in admittedly mediocre football. It does not.

2. More often than not, we get back up regional commentators. Which means misinformation, mispronounced names, unfunny references, and generally a mediocre performance. And if it's not a regional broadcast, ESPN will use backup commentators as well. Like the disastrous Rex Ryan experiment last year.

The only people that will be interested in preseason football are the hardcore fans that want to see the building blocks of player development, or who is getting extra attention for fantasy purposes. A more analytical approach would make sense.
                          ​​​​​​
                          I'd think the local commentators would have a better idea of what is going on with the team. It's hard to keep up with 32 teams in any sort of in depth way. But a local guy should be able to spend a week doing some homework and give us more info. It's not like girlfriends and housewives are watching preseason anyway, so give the football fans some football information. But, I guess the suits just can't help meddling.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

I'd think the local commentators would have a better idea of what is going on with the team. It's hard to keep up with 32 teams in any sort of in depth way. But a local guy should be able to spend a week doing some homework and give us more info. It's not like girlfriends and housewives are watching preseason anyway, so give the football fans some football information. But, I guess the suits just can't help meddling.
                            You would think so, but some of these guys can barely speak. More highlights on some of these developing players and some comparisons between how these guys look in preseason and training camp would be cool. One of the draws of Hard Knocks is that you get an inside look at guys trying to make the roster. You can easily get a good story when you not only see that an unknown is making a team, but you also can get some analysis as to how he's doing it, his strengths as a player, what coaches say about him, etc.
                            sigpic

Comment

You would think so, but some of these guys can barely speak. More highlights on some of these developing players and some comparisons between how these guys look in preseason and training camp would be cool. One of the draws of Hard Knocks is that you get an inside look at guys trying to make the roster. You can easily get a good story when you not only see that an unknown is making a team, but you also can get some analysis as to how he's doing it, his strengths as a player, what coaches say about him, etc.
                              Yeah, that's my thought in terms of coverage as well. Hard Knocks turns me off because it's so formulaic. There's gonna be a star of the team that we follow, some "serious" discussions between coaches, some "serious" discussions with the GM, and that one on the bubble longshot guy we get to know who always gets cut just to tug at the heartstrings.

In sad news, Tony Sparano has died at 56. RIP.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Barkley's rookie contract is fully guaranteed.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X