No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not surprising to see Jackson struggle. I assume the Ravens are looking at him as contract leverage, insurance, and a calculated investment as much as a real future face of the franchise.
    If they can develop him as a passer just a bit and put him in a complementary system, they'll get a huge return on their investment.
    If he doesn't pan out, they aren't any worse off than the Titans are with Kevin Dodd, and they still have Flacco.

Comment

• This explains why we made the Alex Smith trade. Kirk Cousins wasn't going to resign with us and we had no realistic shot at a starting QB in the draft.
      ~

Comment

• Pacman worked out for the Browns? Ffs, Cleveland.
        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• In Redskins camp news, it appears the coaching staff is really high on Josh Harvey-Clemons, whom we drafted in the 7th round in 2017. The hope is that he can cover the move tight ends that have been killing us ever since we switched to a 3-4. (Of course, the catch is that he's undersized and is projected to be a nickel/dime backer. We get killed on first and 10 by those TEs, too.)
          ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
            In Redskins camp news, it appears the coaching staff is really high on Josh Harvey-Clemons, whom we drafted in the 7th round in 2017. The hope is that he can cover the move tight ends that have been killing us ever since we switched to a 3-4. (Of course, the catch is that he's undersized and is projected to be a nickel/dime backer. We get killed on first and 10 by those TEs, too.)
            ~
            Any word on how Guice has looked?
            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Man, I really wanted Reid. I mean, Vacarro is still an upgrade over Cyprien, but I wanted a social justice team.

Comment

• Looks like some national prognosticators are quite down on LSU this year. Maybe it's me being a homer, but I think the program is heading in the right direction. Coach O had one hell of a mess to clean up and finally seems to be making some progress. I don't expect a national championship, but matching last year's win total seems reasonable.
                Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post

Any word on how Guice has looked?
                  Good. He's on track to be the starting 1st/2nd down back. Chris Thompson has a firm handle on 3rd down back, albeit he's still got to get more comfortable/confident coming back from the broken leg.
                  ~

Comment

• My only issue with Vaccaro is how long it will take for him to be hurt again.

LSU needs to be fun this year. Maybe knock off Bama, have a stupid fun high scoring affair with Auburn?

I hear Guice is a big hit with the Washington staff. Pitt should have drafted him and let Bell go, but nooooooooo...
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
                      My only issue with Vaccaro is how long it will take for him to be hurt again.

LSU needs to be fun this year. Maybe knock off Bama, have a stupid fun high scoring affair with Auburn?

I hear Guice is a big hit with the Washington staff. Pitt should have drafted him and let Bell go, but nooooooooo...
                      - Vacarro has also long had "want to" issues. He's been known as a guy that just plays the game because he's good at it. I suppose as an emergency option he's ok, but not a guy I'd want in my locker room long term.

- Possible if the QB position really comes together, but reports on that haven't been good to date. This feels a lot like one of those years where the team/program is actually in a better place than the previous year but it might not reflect that in the record. Auburn could have a pretty nasty front 7 this year, too. Assuming they can get all those kids to play. Some definite cases of guys that just play because they're good/got a scholarship rather than guys who lay it out there for their team. I do, however, question their offense. Long known as a kinda wacky yet run first team, Malzahn has really given over control to his pass happy OC. They could be interesting this year in a train wreck sorta way.

- Thanks Tomlin.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Good. He's on track to be the starting 1st/2nd down back. Chris Thompson has a firm handle on 3rd down back, albeit he's still got to get more comfortable/confident coming back from the broken leg.
                        ~
                        Haven't watched much, if any, Redskins in a few years. Frankly, I hate Gruden's offense. But I have heard that Thompson is a stud 3rd down/change of pace back. So, they could have what I consider a really fun offense if Jay-bird doesn't twat it up. I look forward to seeing those two Bama boys on the d-line as well. Do they have Payne playing the nose?
                        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Haven't watched much, if any, Redskins in a few years. Frankly, I hate Gruden's offense. But I have heard that Thompson is a stud 3rd down/change of pace back. So, they could have what I consider a really fun offense if Jay-bird doesn't twat it up. I look forward to seeing those two Bama boys on the d-line as well. Do they have Payne playing the nose?
                          Da'Ron Payne is indeed penciled in at starting NT. While I was limping around, I missed the fact that his ankle got stepped on. It's just a few weeks (from a week ago), but you want a rookie to get as many practices in as possible before he's thrown into the fire.

The silver lining is Tim Settle is getting those 1st team reps/coaching, and he needs them too. I'm excited by the fact that our D will have two legitimate nose tackles instead of zero (like usual).
                          ~

Comment

Da'Ron Payne is indeed penciled in at starting NT. While I was limping around, I missed the fact that his ankle got stepped on. It's just a few weeks (from a week ago), but you want a rookie to get as many practices in as possible before he's thrown into the fire.

The silver lining is Tim Settle is getting those 1st team reps/coaching, and he needs them too. I'm excited by the fact that our D will have two legitimate nose tackles instead of zero (like usual).
                            ~
                            Where they got Ziggy playing?
                            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Bill Barnwell, who I know some folks like, has chosen Pitt, Minn, Car, Tenn, Ariz, and Buff to decline this year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...tions-schedule
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Where they got Ziggy playing?
                                He's been a quality locker room guy for us, but totally miscast in the NT role (which to his credit, he just accepted and did his best...Chris Baker would have been better at it while he was here, but Baker didn't want to play nose). However, now he's a reserve end and time and younger players may have finally caught up with him.

P.S.Re: Safety and Troy Apke - This is a comment I made elsewhere.

1) I'm all for giving UDFAs just as much a chance to make the team based on their performance as 6th and 7th round picks.

2) Call me crazy, but I think Troy Apke should have been a 6th round pick, not a 4th. People who watch Penn State football were surprised to see Apke picked before Marcus Allen, who went in the 5th round to the Steelers.
                                ==========
                                I don't actually see much, if any, Penn State football. I got that from you guys. The context is Apke is fast, but as far as learning to play football, he's got a LONG ways to go. Meanwhile, we have a UDFA named Kenny Ladler who was in the CFL the last two years. He's been the best safety in camp so far behind the two starters (DJ Swearinger and Montae Nicholson).
                                ~

Comment

Working...
                                X