Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by kirmie View Post

    Inconsistent right now. This turned into more of a rebuild than Quinn and Patricia expected. They've beaten and lost to good teams. The defense seems to be a lack of talent and some confidence issues due to switching to more of a 3-4 with a lot of names changing and injuries. Not sure what has been up with the offense though. Stafford seems off at times and has been holding onto the ball too much.

    I think people will be complaining going into next year, but the team will be better because of the scheme and cultural changes. Culture changes would be the biggest. Robert Ayers being gone a day after signing, players complaining about running, and things like Tabor being benched for a practice squad call up were big. This would probably have gone smoother if the offseason work wasn't as reduced as it is these days.
    I can see it taking time. The Lions haven't been truly awful with Stafford but seemed to have the same flaws every year. Playing in what is now a tougher NFCN makes it more difficult, too.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • Interesting, though kind of long, article on what goes on with the setup at Ford Field. Security does way more than I thought they did. They have programs monitoring social media within 2 miles of the stadium. They even have a bomb squad and snipers present during the game. They do a solid job of keeping those kind of guys out of view I guess.

      It looks like it also cost $250 to take a course and be allowed back into NFL stadiums if you get kicked out. That's an expensive course. It also rags a bit on the amount of people who get arrested at Browns games since one of the guys used to work for the Browns.

      https://theathletic.com/658664/2018/...at-ford-field/
      http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kirmie View Post
        Interesting, though kind of long, article on what goes on with the setup at Ford Field. Security does way more than I thought they did. They have programs monitoring social media within 2 miles of the stadium. They even have a bomb squad and snipers present during the game. They do a solid job of keeping those kind of guys out of view I guess.

        It looks like it also cost $250 to take a course and be allowed back into NFL stadiums if you get kicked out. That's an expensive course. It also rags a bit on the amount of people who get arrested at Browns games since one of the guys used to work for the Browns.

        https://theathletic.com/658664/2018/...at-ford-field/
        Yeah, guarantee the NFL has security ratcheted up at this point. Too many crazies out there.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • Originally posted by kirmie View Post
          Since I felt like it, for those looking for insight on predicting the Lions draft in no particular order:

          1. Glover Quinn seems to have lost a step and with no pass rush his instincts don't get to be as helpful. 2018 3rd round pick Tracy Walker seems to be on tract to take over the deep safety spot with Quandre Diggs keeping the shallow safety role.

          2. The Lions have no legitimate edge rush except for when Ansah is on the field, which hasn't been very often. Multiple players have 4+ sacks, but the majority of those have been coverage sacks. 2018 4th round pick Da'Shawn Hand thankfully has been solid as an interior and 3-4 DE type of pass rusher so the need falls more toward the EDGE type. I think that'd go a long way for the Lions defense so this may be one of their earliest picks.

          3. TJ Lang is probably done and Joe Dahl hasn't been able to get snaps over Kenny Wiggins so OG is high on the need list even though 2018 1st rounder Frank Ragnow looks good. They could go middle of the pack in free agency with a draft pick around the 4th.

          4. The Lions don't have a developmental QB after losing Kaaya in 2017. Quinn had mentioned it is a good idea to take one every two years so they're totally due to take a QB. Not sure when in the draft, but definitely predict them to take one.

          5. Teez Tabor seems to have lost the team's faith in his ability to play corner. Expect him to transition to safety or get beat out at CB next year. The Lions will want at least one more CB to work with. Jamal Agnew was getting play as the #2 before his injury and the Lions prefer Nevin Lawson in the slot so if Lawson stays around they'll be looking for an outside corner.

          6. This should be obvious on Thanksgiving, but the Lions need another RB. Kerryon shouldn't play, Blount has been ineffective, and Riddick is only awesome when he doesn't take a hand off (though I think he has dropped more balls this year than the rest of his career combined). Kerryon has a history of dings and the RB position rarely has a bell cow anymore so I expect this to be a priority as well, but it could be addressed in free agency rather than the top half of the draft.

          7. After completely giving up on the season by trading Golden Tate and not replacing him with a random white guy like the Patriots always do with their slot WRs, the Lions now need a slot receiver. With how the Pats have always treated this and trading Tate I expect this to be a free agency pickup or late in the draft.

          8. Michael Roberts is the only TE who is guaranteed to be back next year. Expect 2 blocking TEs to make their way to Detroit. Most likely in free agency, but if a solid one drops to the Lions in the draft they will likely take him.

          9. Don't expect OT to be a priority because the Lions like 2018 5th round Tyrell Crosby. OT would be a BPA only kind of pickup and likely later in the draft if at all. The only caveat is if Crosby is moved to OG to fill that hole, but I expect him to stay at OT right now.

          10. Thanks to Snacks, A'Shawn, and Hand the Lions DT type role is pretty set. I think they keep RJF and Kerry Hyder around as well. RJF because of the locker room/vet aspect and his donuts. Hyder because he tore his Achilles in the last preseason game of 2017 so I don't think he is fully healed yet. Probably one 3/4 DE type for depth needed. Could be late in the draft, but probably undrafted or a cheap free agent.
          Why shouldn't Kerryon play?

          I'm honestly surprised Hand has been so good. I was really wrong about him.
          Flinchy McTapQwik

          Lol

          Comment


          • OJ Howard to IR.
            Flinchy McTapQwik

            Lol

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Castiron View Post

              Why shouldn't Kerryon play?

              I'm honestly surprised Hand has been so good. I was really wrong about him.
              He landed funny on his last run Sunday. Barber was announcing and said it looked like how he landed on turf and tore his ACL. Then the Dr. who comments on stuff on Twitter about what the injury looks like said it could be an ACL, but he wasn't nearly as sure as he usually. Thankfully it turned out to be just a sprain. He and Marvin Jones missed practice yesterday and its a short week so they're almost guaranteed to be out at this point. There is a decent chance Kerryon plays next week, but he may still be out as they were calling him week to week rather than day to day.
              http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

              Comment


              • Originally posted by kirmie View Post

                He landed funny on his last run Sunday. Barber was announcing and said it looked like how he landed on turf and tore his ACL. Then the Dr. who comments on stuff on Twitter about what the injury looks like said it could be an ACL, but he wasn't nearly as sure as he usually. Thankfully it turned out to be just a sprain. He and Marvin Jones missed practice yesterday and its a short week so they're almost guaranteed to be out at this point. There is a decent chance Kerryon plays next week, but he may still be out as they were calling him week to week rather than day to day.
                Just when I get Leonard Fournette back.

                Comment


                • So are the Redskins the most injury plagued team this year? I get the feeling that as long as Dan Snyder doesn't Snyder it up they will be fun to watch next year.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
                    So are the Redskins the most injury plagued team this year? I get the feeling that as long as Dan Snyder doesn't Snyder it up they will be fun to watch next year.
                    They have been the last three years now. Might be a trend unfortunately. The Giants had a similar stretch under Coughlin his last few years.
                    CMD VI Cattle Wranglers of Arlington

                    Comment


                    • I'm expecting a slugfest in the trenches of the Cowboys-Redskins game tomorrow.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

                      Lol

                      Comment


                      • Too many backups and scrubs on offense.
                        ~

                        Comment


                        • Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

                          Lol

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Castiron View Post
                            Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
                            Happy Thanksgiving!
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • Cowboys won three in a row.

                              Might they sneak up and win that division?
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

                              Lol

                              Comment


                              • The Redskins are super banged up, the Eagles are banged up and underachieving, and the Giants...yeah.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X