No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Bob Cooter is no longer the Lions OC. It is a sad day for awesome names, but he should get another chance in a few years since he is only 34. When the Lions blocking scheme changed and he simplified things a bit it really helped at the time (when he originally took over as the OC midseason in 2015), but his play calling wasn't that great and it remained simple for far too long, It also seemed like Patricia was requiring more hard nosed running plays which may have been conflicting with Jim Bob Cooter's style.

I wonder if Golden Tate being traded and not doing much with the Eagles hurt his free agent asking price and may help him possibly come back to the Lions? The Lions have a need for, well, a player exactly like Golden Tate. Brandon Powell did good against the sleep walking Packers, but he's no Tate. Not sure if this was an Eagles issue or what. I mean, the game plan to get production out of Tate is to throw any pass within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage then eat popcorn and watch guys miss tackles. He is already 30 though.

Sounds like TJ Lang wants to continue playing for the Lions and would be open to a pay cut. He might stick around if that's the case. Obviously they would still need to find somebody else at the same time because of the injury risk. Dude is awesome and totally a Detroit homer so it would be great if the Lions could win with him.
    http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

• Originally posted by Castiron View Post
      Anybody have a draft crush yet? The closest I've come is Christian Wilkins.
      So after LSU-UCF, Rashard Lawrence is looking pretty good. He was an absolute monster in that game.

Originally posted by kirmie View Post
      Jim Bob Cooter is no longer the Lions OC.
      Cue the unsubstantiated Cooter to UT rumors.

Comment

• Wow, just realized this. The Packers interviewed Jim Caldwell for the HC job. Teryll Austin and Jim Bob Cooter are both available right now. It is possible that the HC, OC, and DC for the Lions in 2017 could be coaching the Packers in 2019. That'd be stupid weird and kind of hilarious. I highly doubt the Packers hire Caldwell though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

So after LSU-UCF, Rashard Lawrence is looking pretty good. He was an absolute monster in that game.
          First time all year. UCF can't block.
          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Powerful, breaks lots of tackles. Seemed to hit the hole quick, but not much in the way of long speed. It will be interesting to see what his combine looks like.
            I just don't see him being successful in the NFL. Maybe I'm wrong.
            Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Brian Kelly possibly going to the Bucs? What???
              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• lol Somebody pointed out an interesting stat for the Lions. They had 2 players with 2 forced fumbles to lead the team. One was rookie DT Da'Shawn Hand. The other... WR Kenny Golladay.

Edit: I really wish the Lions would have lost in Lambeau instead of sweeping the Packers. That #5 pick would have been interesting with the teams ahead of it not likely to take QBs. Could have been a good trade opportunity.
                Last edited by kirmie; 01-03-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

First time all year. UCF can't block.
                  So I guess you're not a fan? I've literally watched two LSU games this year, and the other was TAMU, where he made some splash plays too.

Comment

• Speaking of LSU. Is Greedy Williams really an awesome CB or is he hyped more for his supposed until proven at some sort of offseason event height? Could be a possible Lions target depending on how the draft falls. I'd prefer the Lions wait and take a CB like David Long in the 2nd, but if none of the top pass rushers are around they'd absolutely take a BPA tall CB.

Edit: Dan Orlovsky could be a name that pops up in the near future for coaching jobs as well. Probably on the QB coach or lower area. Apparently Jim Caldwell offered him a job in 2017, but he didn't want to get into coaching yet. That's around when he started doing the Twitter based stuff and joining ESPN. He's said he is open to it now if there are ties to him.
                    Last edited by kirmie; 01-03-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kirmie View Post
                      Speaking of LSU. Is Greedy Williams really an awesome CB or is he hyped more for his supposed until proven at some sort of offseason event height? Could be a possible Lions target depending on how the draft falls. I'd prefer the Lions wait and take a CB like David Long in the 2nd, but if none of the top pass rushers are around they'd absolutely take a BPA tall CB.

Edit: Dan Orlovsky could be a name that pops up in the near future for coaching jobs as well. Probably on the QB coach or lower area. Apparently Jim Caldwell offered him a job in 2017, but he didn't want to get into coaching yet. That's around when he started doing the Twitter based stuff and joining ESPN. He's said he is open to it now if there are ties to him.
                      Not much experience, but a lot of talent with Greedy.
                      Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post

So I guess you're not a fan? I've literally watched two LSU games this year, and the other was TAMU, where he made some splash plays too.
                        I mean, I wish he was better but he just isn't. Rotational player imo.
                        Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

• So, do the Steelers trade AB or no? I think they should, but what can they get for a 30 year old WR with that contract?
                          Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

So, do the Steelers trade AB or no? I think they should, but what can they get for a 30 year old WR with that contract?
                            Cap space is getting higher and there are teams that have the space. It's also not a nightmare to move from the Steelers perspective either with some cap magic. WRs age slower than other positions, and with AB's work ethic and route running ability, he should be fine for awhile.

They should absolutely move him. He's a complete cancer at this point. Should have let Bell walk this year, too. This team made its own bed and now they are lying in it. Thanks Tomlin!

Also, does Art 2 just not speak in public? Any reason for waiting until after the postseason to make moves?
                            sigpic

Comment

Cap space is getting higher and there are teams that have the space. It's also not a nightmare to move from the Steelers perspective either with some cap magic. WRs age slower than other positions, and with AB's work ethic and route running ability, he should be fine for awhile.

They should absolutely move him. He's a complete cancer at this point. Should have let Bell walk this year, too. This team made its own bed and now they are lying in it. Thanks Tomlin!

Also, does Art 2 just not speak in public? Any reason for waiting until after the postseason to make moves?
                              I agree, just don't think the team will pull the trigger. I suspect we get more Tomlinisms and more of the same next year. It's a shame, because I might actually root for the team again if they did make a stand and move AB while letting Bell go.
                              Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

There are a few issues, but I think the contract situation is fine for a trade. The Steelers keep the dead money so the team that trades for AB gets him at a cost of less than 12.6M per year for 3 years. So for the trading team he would actually be cheaper than what Alshon Jeffrey is being paid per year on average. That's totally workable with the cap space increases.

The cancer aspect would be the biggest issue that will hurt his trade value. Teams will be afraid that he'll still be an issue after a change. Plus he didn't even make it past episode 1 of The Masked Singer so there are obvious off field issues. Actually, that last part may be a real concern depending on when it was filmed and how much effort he put into it. If it was during the season and took time away from what he normally did football wise each week that wouldn't be great for teams who are worried about the cancer aspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X