No announcement yet.

2018 NFL & College Football Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeaaah, Rutgers is definitely in the the low tier in the Big 10.
    sigpic

Comment

• I wish Rutgers wasn't in the B1G. They are just awful at everything. Their athletic department has been in disarray for a several years now, it seems.

At least MD is good at basketball. And MD's football program should be on the upswing with all of Kevin Plank's Under Armour money (fancy unis and a brand new athletic training facility... Durkin getting some decent defensive players and OL). They'll never compete with the perennial championship contenders, but maybe they can actually crack the rankings for once. Not a total embarrassment, at least. Plus they've given the NFL some good players lately. (Stefon Diggs, Yannick Ngakoue, Sean Davis, some late-rounders). Oh, and they own at Lacrosse (as do other schools in the area like Loyola and John's Hopkins, which is in the B1G apparently for lacrosse, which is why they have one more championship than Rutgers lol)
      Last edited by Terps; 06-18-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• Agree about MD, they have a decent pedigree in BB, awesome in LAX and potential in FB to at least ride a cyclical wave of competitiveness every 3-5 years. With them, the $$ issue was the buy-out from the ACC. They had to borrow against their future conference share in order to pay that off, so they won't be receiving the full $50M+ until 2024 most likely.

RU is a complete train wreck right now, so them even getting to be a member should be enough reward. While its true the media market that is leveraged thru their membership has played a big role in the new contract, it is offset by their lack of mediocrity in athletics, let alone potential for excellence.

For now, they'll have to be happy with their inclusion...(not so much athletics)...in the BTAA and CIC. HUGE $$$ in that area, far more than in athletics.

Comment

• Yeah, Rutgers has been awful. They really are unable to compete with the other B1G teams in pretty much every sport. I get that there's probably some cash reason they're in there, but they're just constantly getting embarrassed.

Comment

• Damn. Titans receiving group is looking damn good now. Davis, Decker, Taylor, Matthews, and Sharpe.

So many players are coming back from injury though. I think expectations may be a bit high.

Comment

• I thought Titans were high on Tajae Sharpe, but it seems like he's the 4th or 5th string WR on the roster now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terps View Post
                I thought Titans were high on Tajae Sharpe, but it seems like he's the 4th or 5th string WR on the roster now.
                That's what I thought. He definitely played better than you expect a fifth round rookie to play, but I think this is mostly a continuation of last year's policy of making things easy for Mariota first and foremost, hence the overspending on receiver.

Comment

• The Lions finally signed 3rd round pick Golladay. I have absolutely no idea why he wasn't already signed as he had been at all of the workouts. Apparently he has been looking good so far so maybe he won't suck once pads go on.

Marvin Jones is trying to get better by working with Randy Moss. That sounds counterproductive to me.

Originally posted by Terps View Post
                  I wish Rutgers wasn't in the B1G. They are just awful at everything. Their athletic department has been in disarray for a several years now, it seems.

At least MD is good at basketball. And MD's football program should be on the upswing with all of Kevin Plank's Under Armour money (fancy unis and a brand new athletic training facility... Durkin getting some decent defensive players and OL). They'll never compete with the perennial championship contenders, but maybe they can actually crack the rankings for once. Not a total embarrassment, at least. Plus they've given the NFL some good players lately. (Stefon Diggs, Yannick Ngakoue, Sean Davis, some late-rounders). Oh, and they own at Lacrosse (as do other schools in the area like Loyola and John's Hopkins, which is in the B1G apparently for lacrosse, which is why they have one more championship than Rutgers lol)
                  I think you're forgetting all of the major accomplishments they've had athletically the last few years. They picked up 2 of the top 15 football recruits in the state of NJ each of the last two years. They beat #11 ranked tOSU in the B1G men's basketball tournament. ... Honestly though, I think the best they may have done in any sport outside of Lax was coming in 5th as a team in wrestling due almost entirely to Anthony Ashnault winning his bracket. If they did better in something I probably missed it because I sometimes forget that Rutgers exists, let alone that they are in the B1G.
                  http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                    Damn. Titans receiving group is looking damn good now. Davis, Decker, Taylor, Matthews, and Sharpe.

So many players are coming back from injury though. I think expectations may be a bit high.
                    Tennessee is actually my early pick to win that division. I like what they are building there. Plus, The Texans will be breaking in a very raw QB ( who may still be better than Brock, but still), The Colts are still kind of ass outside of Luck, and the Jags are still the Jags. Not sure what kind of playoff run that they are capable of, but winning the division isn't out of the realm of possibility.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post

Tennessee is actually my early pick to win that division. I like what they are building there. Plus, The Texans will be breaking in a very raw QB ( who may still be better than Brock, but still), The Colts are still kind of ass outside of Luck, and the Jags are still the Jags. Not sure what kind of playoff run that they are capable of, but winning the division isn't out of the realm of possibility.
                      Yeah, and you'd be in good company picking them. It should be a close division. Here are my concerns:
                      The Titans OL played phenomenally last season,and while it's reasonable to expect Jones, Conklin, and Lewan to continue that high level of play, Spain and Kline are former scrubs who had their best seasons. OLine play may fall off a bit.
                      Outside of the end of the season, the Titans were pretty dang healthy last season. While right now, they have Corey Davis, Kevin Dodd, Sylvester Williams, Tajae Sharp, Matt Cassell, Karl Klug, Eric Decker, DeMarco Murray, and Marcus Mariota all coming back from injury. Plus Derrick Morgan and Brian Orakpo have injury histories and played all season healthy. I expect injuries will be more prevalent and problematic this season.

The Jaguars added a lot of talent again, and last season their offense underperformed. I know it's the Jags, and they always underperform, but I think the chance that their offense isn't better is close to zero, and now all that defensive talent they added a year ago is more seasoned. Bortles had maybe his worst season in '16, so he should at least bounce back a little.

The Texans played almost all season without JJ Watt and Kevin Johnson. Despite Watson, I absolutely loved the rest of their draft. Cunningham, Foreman, and Watkins were real quality grabs.

The Colts are a healthy Andrew Luck away from domination at all times, even though I didn't like their draft very much.

Comment

• My impression is 3rd round picks are the last to sign these days. Something in the CBA?

Happened this year with our 3rd rounds, Fabian Moreau.
                        ~

Comment

• Originally posted by ifthethunderdontgetya View Post
                          My impression is 3rd round picks are the last to sign these days. Something in the CBA?

Happened this year with our 3rd rounds, Fabian Moreau.
                          ~
                          http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ild-wild-west/

For reasons not entirely known, the current labor deal allows for more negotiation in round three than in the other rounds. Over time, this has created fluctuations in the various slots, giving both team and player ammunition for digging in and not budging.

Comment

• Well, that's odd, but good to know. Wonder how much money they even end up haggling over?
                            http://i.imgur.com/gF4v0yy.gifv

Comment

• Derek Carr signed a 5 year, $125 million extension. I'm pretty sure he's the highest paid player now.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by steelers_pens_fan View Post
                                Derek Carr signed a 5 year, $125 million extension. I'm pretty sure he's the highest paid player now.
                                Remember when people here were saying Blake Bortles was better than Carr? I do.
                                Flinchy McTapQwik

Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X