Jumbo Elliot - Jake Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbo Elliot - Jake Long

Good the thing Bill Parcells drafted the next Elliot, because Elliot didn't play against the speed at DE that is in the NFL even now.

Elliot was not an elite pass protector and the proliforation of the WCO has changed what you need in an elite left tackle, and we all thought a big mauling LT is what you need.

Tony Mandarich
    Leonard Davis
    Mike Williams
    Robert Gallery

list goes on and on. Jake Long will struggle with speed and he won't live up to his contract.

Bad draft pick, nothing else I can say about it.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Jumbo Elliot last name is kick a$$

Comment

Matt, in your assessments of OT's I notice that you focus quite a bit on the ability to stop high speed DE's that rush the edge's well. I think that this may be a bit misguided and I will try to make my point by asking the following questions:

1) What is the percentage of plays run vs. pass?
      2) How many teams have a great Right DE that is an awesome pass rusher?

I don't know actual stats to answer the above, but most teams run more than pass and very few teams have a Michael Strahan type.

That being said, would it be fair to say that your concerns about Jake Long may be limited to about 1 play in 25 over the course of the season? Is the fact that he an absolutely awesome run blocker makes up for your expressed concerns?

And finally, to you think it's possible that through training he can get better at his only flaw?

What do you think about this?

Comment

To be fair, if he was taken at #5 to the Chiefs or if Matt was running teams #1-7 and he slipped to the Ravens, he would be unanimously hailed as the next great LT of those franchises. But because he was picked #1, and you thought Chris Long was the pick, you have decided he is no longer elite and will not live up to his pick? Did I get that right?

Comment

Originally posted by animal52 View Post
          Matt, in your assessments of OT's I notice that you focus quite a bit on the ability to stop high speed DE's that rush the edge's well. I think that this may be a bit misguided and I will try to make my point by asking the following questions:

I don't know actual stats to answer the above, but most teams run more than pass and very few teams have a Michael Strahan type.

That being said, would it be fair to say that your concerns about Jake Long may be limited to about 1 play in 25 over the course of the season? Is the fact that he an absolutely awesome run blocker makes up for your expressed concerns?

And finally, to you think it's possible that through training he can get better at his only flaw?

Sun., Sep. 7 NEW YORK JETS (Probably Gholston) He'll get raped.

Sun., Sep. 14 at Arizona Cardinals (I don't Know)

Sun., Sep. 21 at New England Patriots (Adalius Thomas) He's going to get eaten up.

Sun., Sept. 28 BYE

Sun., Oct. 5 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (Shawne Merriman) HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sun., Oct. 12 at Houston Texans (Mario Williams) HAHAHAHAHAHA

Sun., Oct. 19 BALTIMORE RAVENS (Terrell Suggs) Could hold up. But I'll be pissed off Suggs doesn't get him.

Sun., Oct. 26 BUFFALO BILLS (Aaron Schobel) Underrated. Should get him too.

Sun., Nov. 2 at Denver Broncos (Elvis Dumervil) **** yes.

Sun., Nov. 9 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (Daryll Tapp) Probably not.

Sun., Nov. 16 OAKLAND RAIDERS (Derrick Burgess) Probably

Sun., Nov. 23 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (Adalius Thomas) Should finish the job he started.

Sun., Nov. 30 at St. Louis Rams (Chris Long? Probably not) I don't know who there LE is.

Sun., Dec. 7 at Buffalo Bills (Toronto) (Aaron Shobel) It's cold in Canada.

Sun., Dec. 14 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (Manny Lawson) This matchup is too tough to predict.

Sun., Dec. 21 at Kansas City Chiefs (Jared Allen? Tamba Hali? Turk McBride?) Allen and Hali would most likely beat him.

Sun., Dec. 28 at New York Jets (Gholston?) Depends on projection.

YOU NEED A GOOD PASS PROTECTOR AT LT
          Last edited by PuppyPuncher; 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I can predict the Manny Lawson one. Lawson will be shoved on his ass every play. He can't rush, he can only cover. Motherf******.

Comment

I think you are grossly underrating his pass protection ability. That is not what Matt is even saying. He's just saying that his ability in this area is not good enough for a #1 overall, not that he's not very good.

Comment

Yeah, never seen someone who gave up what, one sack and drew zero penalties get less respect for his pass protection.

Comment

I think you are grossly underrating his pass protection ability. That is not what Matt is even saying. He's just saying that his ability in this area is not good enough for a #1 overall, not that he's not very good.
                  At the very minimum, Adalius Thomas, Gholston, Elvis Dumervil, Shawne Merriman and Mario Williams should get him. I'm kind of wavering on Aaron Schobel now.

Comment

Originally posted by crash_diet View Post
                    Yeah, never seen someone who gave up what, one sack and drew zero penalties get less respect for his pass protection.
                    So? Chris Williams gave up two sacks in two years. Should he be going #2 overall? No. It's the NFL production at Michigan doesn't always translate.

Comment

Williams is a top-15 pick because of his great protection abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                        At the very minimum, Adalius Thomas, Gholston, Elvis Dumervil, Shawne Merriman and Mario Williams should get him. I'm kind of wavering on Aaron Schobel now.
                        Games are not won or lost on the occassional heroic sack by a DE. On offense, moving the ball on the ground effectively and controlling the clock does. He'll be good enough to do that and pass blocking as well.

Miami lost 15 games last year. All of the top 5 picks are #5overall types. Parcells picked the one that he felt could help him the most where the game is won the most, in the running game.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
                          Williams is a top-15 pick because of his great protection abilities.
                          Yeah, I like Williams. I'm not trying to sell him short like he's some kind of 5th rounder.

Comment

Games are not won or lost on the occassional heroic sack by a DE. On offense, moving the ball on the ground effectively and controlling the clock does. He'll be good enough to do that and pass blocking as well.

Miami lost 15 games last year. All of the top 5 picks are #5overall types. Parcells picked the one that he felt could help him the most where the game is won the most, in the running game.
                            Are you from the 1940's?

Vernon Carey was a pretty good run blocker. Parcells should have just stuck with him at LT. Since, that's all the game seems to be about.

Comment

Animal do you know what makes a pass rusher good. Simple, First Step. Packers DE KGB, Texans DE Mario Williams, Browns OLB Kamarion wimbley, Colts DE Dwight Freeny. All examples of a great first step. You know what makes Pass Rushers Great? Their non-stop Motor. How many of these guys do you think Long went against during his career at Michigan? One. Vernon Gholeston. As a Senior and Gholeston got the Only sack against Long in 3 years. Granted only one sack in 3 gamess against Gholeston. Think about him against guys better than Gholeston.

I see him giving up 10-15 sacks this year and moving to the right side next year.
                              If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                              Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Working...
                              X