Rams Cannot Begin Negotiations with #2 pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams Cannot Begin Negotiations with #2 pick

"ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday that the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second pick in the NFL draft, were told today by the NFL management council that they do not have permission to begin negotiations with any player now that the Dolphins have signed Long. A league spokesman said there have been internal discussions to determine whether the Rams have the right to negotiate with a player or players"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3358424

Lol image if they allowed this and we had the top 5 picks down before Saturday. Kinda ruins draft day.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

I think it is unfair that the Dolphins can negotiate but no one else can, and I guess this goes for every draft.

Matt McGuire's order of business to improve the Draft:

1. Change from current TVC to my TVC
    2. Have a set contract for each pick in the first two rounds (all guaranteed money, but it is much cheaper than what is going on now).

With new TVC, the top picks become more expendable, but still valuable.

With a set contract, no need for contract negotiations, like the NBA.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Right. That also gets rid of stupid holdouts.

Comment

Like the NBA or not their Rookie contracting is better than the NFL.
        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          I think it is unfair that the Dolphins can negotiate but no one else can, and I guess this goes for every draft.

Matt McGuire's order of business to improve the Draft:

1. Change from current TVC to my TVC
          2. Have a set contract for each pick in the first two rounds (all guaranteed money, but it is much cheaper than what is going on now).

With new TVC, the top picks become more expendable, but still valuable.

With a set contract, no need for contract negotiations, like the NBA.
          I was thinking about that this morning, it got brought up on mike and mike. Slot the picks, but guarantee the money. I feel that every round should be slotted to be fair, but only 1st 2 are guaranteed, the rest get a portion guaranteed. All 3 year deals w/ negotiable options for more years. player is an RFA after 3 years, full free agency after 4 years in the league.
          Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
            Like the NBA or not their Rookie contracting is better than the NFL.
            No doubt. When a rookie who has never played a down on Sundays becomes the highest paid o-lineman in the league, there's something wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumsteroo View Post
              I was thinking about that this morning, it got brought up on mike and mike. Slot the picks, but guarantee the money. I feel that every round should be slotted to be fair, but only 1st 2 are guaranteed, the rest get a portion guaranteed. All 3 year deals w/ negotiable options for more years. player is an RFA after 3 years, full free agency after 4 years in the league.
              I think the third rounds and on can be negotiated.

First two rounds get guaranteed contracts, like the NBA in the first round. So that means if a player is a Day One pick, they get guaranteed money.

It just makes so much sense.

GMs can then negotiate with agents of Day Two picks...how long do these players hold out? They aren't the problem, it is the first round and I think he second round picks should be slotted money wise as well.
              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I like this decision. The whole negotiation process creates a domino effect and takes away from the element of surprise the draft offers.

If we're going to allow negotiations all the way through, then why not bypass the draft and just consider all the players free agents?

Rorshach's Journal

Comment

Because, SuperUberBob, they did the FA thing, and a couple of teams got all the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    I think the third rounds and on can be negotiated.

First two rounds get guaranteed contracts, like the NBA in the first round. So that means if a player is a Day One pick, they get guaranteed money.

It just makes so much sense.

GMs can then negotiate with agents of Day Two picks...how long do these players hold out? They aren't the problem, it is the first round and I think he second round picks should be slotted money wise as well.
                    Solid point . This arguement against slotting is always that owners wont pay that money to vets, they will just stockpile cheap rookies every year.

a. this is true, there are bad owners who dont care about winning. those teams always **** up anyway and this wont change much.

b. how about a salary cap minumum? a team has to spend 90% of the cap at minimum, also raise the veteran minimum salary for a player who has been in the league 4 years or more.

c. How long of contracts do they give the slotted picks? and is it different between the 1st and 2nd rounds?

I say 4 years in rd1, after which they are true free agents, 3 years for rd2 guarantee after that they are a RFA.
                    Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X