2008 Mock Draft - Matt Ryan Slips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Mock Draft - Matt Ryan Slips

This is my mock draft. I simply don't believe that Matt Ryan is a top 10 prospect and I believe that NFL GMs know that. I don't see a team trading up into the top 10 to get him either.

1. Miami Dolphins - T Jake Long, Michigan
    I had this pick before the signing because it makes the most sense. Chris Long would be a great addition to this team but they still have Jason Taylor while their offensive line may as well be corpses. Jake Long will be an immediate upgrade and will help ensure that Ronnie Brown will continue to produce as he did in 2007. Also, the thought that Miami should have taken Matt Ryan here is absolutely preposterous. Ignoring the fact that Ryan is an overrated prospect, it simply isn't smart to judge John Beck after one year. Even the great Peyton Manning threw 29 INTs his first year.

2. St. Louis Rams - DE Chris Long, Virginia
    A lot of people have Glenn Dorsey going here. The fact is that St. Louis is high on him but they have nothing at DE. Chris Long will provide great pass rush for a defense that couldn't produce sacks in 2007. St. Louis could also feasibly trade down and take Derrick Harvey but I don't see them getting an offer that's worth it.

3. Atlanta Falcons - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
    Atlanta needs help at quarterback, both lines, and linebacker. Fortunately for them, the best prospect at any of those positions falls to them at #3. Glenn Dorsey will be a great starter as long as his body holds up.

4. Oakland Raiders - DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
    Most mocks I have seen have Darren McFadden falling here. I don't see it. The raiders have Justin Fargas and Dominic Rhodes at RB. Vernon Gholston will fill a huge void on the defensive line or at OLB. Either spot they decide to put him should produce immediate results.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
    The Jared Allen trade makes taking Matt Ryan here next to impossible since even if Ryan doesn't slip, they can safely take Brian Brohm at #17. Kansas City's biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball and Sedrick Ellis is simply the best prospect available here. He should be an immediate upgrade to Kansas City's depleted defensive line.

6. New York Jets - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas
    The Jets biggest need isn't running back but there is no way they will pass up McFadden here. McFadden will complement Thomas Jones extremely well and greatly improve the Jets offense running behind their young, talented line.

7. New England Patriots - G Branden Albert, Virginia
    Branden Albert has been shooting up draft boards at an unbelievable rate. The Patriots would like Keith Rivers or Leodis McKelvin here as well, but after the beating the Giants threw the Pats offensive line in the Super Bowl, they will take the versatile Albert.

8. Baltimore Ravens - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
    The Ravens remember what happened last time they took a quarterback in the first round. Kyle Boller happened. Former defensive backs coach John Harbaugh won't be able to stop the salivation when he sees Leodis McKelvin still on the board at #8. The Ravens undoubtedly need a quarterback but they should be able to pick one up in the second round without the risk associated with picking Ryan here.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - LB Keith Rivers, USC
    The Bengals would have loved Sedrick Ellis but he's off the board. Derrick Harvey is a possibility but a bit of a reach as well. The Bengals need help at linebacker and Keith Rivers is, by far, the best in this class.

10. New Orleans Saints - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    The Saints would certainly like McKelvin to fall to them here and if he does it will be remembered as the steal of this draft years from now. But Rodgers-Cromartie isn't too bad of a prospect to settle for. Jason David was a complete failure and Randall Gay isn't going to single-handedly solve the problems with the Saints' secondary.

11. Philadelphia Eagles (trade from Buffalo) - T Ryan Clady, Boise State
    When I saw this trade in Walter's mock I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it. The Bills need an upgrade at cornerback and Lito Sheppard would definitely fit the bill. In addition, at #19 the Bills should get their choice from this class of wideouts. The Eagles need offensive line help and trading up to get Clady wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not sure he's worth giving up Lito Sheppard for but the Eagles seem eager to dump him.

12. Denver Broncos - T Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
    Williams spent the first half of his college years blocking for Jay Cutler. The Broncos need offensive line help and this reunion would certainly please them quite a bit.

13. Carolina Panthers - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
    The Panthers have all kinds of needs across their defense. But Jake Delhomme is getting old and there is no one behind him. Matt Ryan will not start immediately but the Panthers don't need him to.

14. Chicago Bears - T Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh
    The Bears really need help at quarterback, wide receiver and the offensive line. The Bears would have loved Ryan to slip another spot but Otah will be a huge help as well. With a proper line in front of him Cedric Benson should finally justify his first round selection.

15. Detroit Lions - RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
    Derrick Harvey could easily be the pick here as well but the Lions won't be able to pass up Mendenhall. The oft-injured Kevin Jones was released leaving the Lions without much to work with at running back. Mendenhall should make an immediate impact and allow Jon Kitna to throw less than 40 times per game.

16. Arizona Cardinals - CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida
    The Cardinals cannot use this pick on anything but a cornerback. They have needs at running back, defensive end, and linebacker but none is as drastic as their need at corner. Mike Jenkins is a nobrainer here if he falls that far.

17. Kansas City Chiefs - QB Brian Brohm, Louisville
    The Chiefs could take Derrick Harvey here but I don't see them using two first round picks on the defensive line. Their next biggest need is at the offensive line but all the top prospects are gone and don't have value here. Brian Brohm will be an insurance package for Brodie Croyle that could be traded down the line if Croyle does work out.

18. Houston Texans - RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
    The Texans are very excited that Stewart falls to them. He will be the replacement for Domanick Davis (I'm sorry, Domanick Williams) that the Texans sorely need.

19. Buffalo Bills (trade with Philadelphia) - WR Devin Thomas, Michigan State
    Buffalo gets Lito Sheppard and Devin Thomas out of this deal. Devin Thomas will provide a solid target for second-year quarterback Trent Edwards.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - WR DeSean Jackson, California
    Tampa would ideally like a player with less question marks here but Jackson's returning abilities put him over the top. If Mike Jenkins falls this far I don't see them passing him up but I also don't see that happening.

21. Cincinnati Bengals (trade with Washington) - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
    This trade may not happen until draft day but I believe when Cincinnati sees Derrick Harvey here they will not be able to help themselves. Chad Johnson wants out and the Redskins need a big receiver to run their West Coast offense. Derrick Harvey is an absolute steal here and a more-than-capable replacement for Justin Smith

22. Dallas Cowboys - WR Limas Sweed, Texas
    A lot of people have the Cowboys taking Felix Jones here. Allow me to explain quickly why there is no way that will happen. After Dallas picks here there is only one team that might take a running back before Dallas picks again at #28. However, there are a plethora of teams that could take a receiver in there. Dallas wants both so the smart pick is a receiver here and a running back at 28.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers - T Gosder Cherilus, Boston College
    Pittsburgh's only major need is on the offensive line and Cherilus is simply the best player left on the board.

24. Tennessee Titans - WR James Hardy, Indiana
    Malcolm Kelly was the pick until he ran his abysmal 40. James Hardy benefits from two factors that land him in the first round - Malcolm Kelly's 40 time and the desperate need at WR for the Titans.

25. Seattle Seahawks - DT Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina
    The Seahawks could take Felix Jones here but with Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett in their backfield they will turn their attention to the defensive line. The addition of Kentwan Balmer will make Seattle's line a force to be reckoned with.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Phillip Merling, Clemson
    The Jaguars cannot believe Merling falls to them at #26. They will use up about 12 seconds of their allotted 10 minutes to make this pick.

27. San Diego Chargers - T Sam Baker, USC
    San Diego would desperately like to deal this pick but come draft day it won't happen. With Brian Brohm, Phillip Merling, and Gosder Cherilus off the board there is simply no one worth trading up to get here. Sam Baker may be a bit of a reach here but he's probably the only real option

28. Dallas Cowboys - RB Felix Jones, Arkansas
    The Seahawks pass on Jones allowing the Cowboys to grab him at #28. The Cowboys have found a new Jones to complement Marion Barber in their backfield.

29. San Francisco 49ers - LB Quentin Groves, Auburn
    The 49ers added Patrick Willis last year and this year they make their linebacker unit one of the most feared in the league with the addition of Groves.

30. Green Bay Packers - CB Aqib Talib, Kansas
    Aqib Talib will not have to start immediately as Charles Woodson and Al Harris are still in place but the Packers need to get younger at this position.

31. New York Giants - S Tyrell Johnson, Arkansas State
    It's either Johnson or Kenny Phillips here but Johnson is flying up draft boards so I'll give it to him due to momentum.

That's it. Read/Review/Hate

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

I hate Quentin Groves so I don't like the SF pick. Tyrell Johnson is overrated as well, and Felix Jones in the first round would surprise me. Still, a pretty good mock.

Comment

Dude...your top 20 is almost verbatim mine in the forum contest, hahaha. Minus a player switch or two. And I have Ryan slipping one more spot to the Bears.

...So, obviously, I think it's good.

Comment

So the Panthers pass on Brady Quinn last year, and with Matt Moore in the fold they take Matt Ryan?

Explain that one.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
          8. Baltimore Ravens - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
          The Ravens remember what happened last time they took a quarterback in the first round. Kyle Boller happened. Former defensive backs coach John Harbaugh won't be able to stop the salivation when he sees Leodis McKelvin still on the board at #8. The Ravens undoubtedly need a quarterback but they should be able to pick one up in the second round without the risk associated with picking Ryan here.
          Ozzie Newsome is not some wuss who isn't ever going to take a QB just because he got burned by Kyle Boller. We have relatively nothing at QB, with a great CB in Chris McAlister & an adequate Samari Rolle.

Comment

Last year Jake Delhomme did not have the injury questions he has now and there was always the chance that David Carr would pan out behind him. I don't think the Panthers are willing to consider the position at all solid with one injury prone quarterback and an undrafted, unproven player behind him.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Last year Jake Delhomme did not have the injury questions he has now and there was always the chance that David Carr would pan out behind him. I don't think the Panthers are willing to consider the position at all solid with one injury prone quarterback and an undrafted, unproven player behind him.
              Undrafted and Unproven player > David Carr

Maybe if you actually watched Matt Moore play in college or the NFL you wouldn't classify him as "undrafted" and "unproven."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                Undrafted and Unproven player > David Carr

Maybe if you actually watched Matt Moore play in college or the NFL you wouldn't classify him as "undrafted" and "unproven."
                Actually, I agree that Moore is a better quarterback than Carr and that he looked pretty good in the preseason. But college/preseason success translates to the NFL at about the same rate as a coin lands heads. Until Moore has NFL success, I definitely consider him unproven.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Actually, I agree that Moore is a better quarterback than Carr and that he looked pretty good in the preseason. But college/preseason success translates to the NFL at about the same rate as a coin lands heads. Until Moore has NFL success, I definitely consider him unproven.
                  He actually played near the end of the season and looked like he could be an effective signal-caller.

Comment

Don't tell that to Montreo.

He doesn't see a big name he automatically thinks that player sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                      He actually played near the end of the season and looked like he could be an effective signal-caller.
                      I actually wasn't aware of that but the keyword is looked. I still don't think the Panthers will pass on Ryan. They are much less solid at that position than they were a year ago when they passed on Quinn. One interesting scenario would be the Browns trading Quinn to the Panthers for that pick if there is a defensive player there that they are in love with but I don't see Quinn getting traded.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

I actually wasn't aware of that but the keyword is looked. I still don't think the Panthers will pass on Ryan. They are much less solid at that position than they were a year ago when they passed on Quinn. One interesting scenario would be the Browns trading Quinn to the Panthers for that pick if there is a defensive player there that they are in love with but I don't see Quinn getting traded.
                        Ok, let me rephrase that. He moved the ball down the field despite the Panther's lack of skill on offense.

Comment

As a Redskins fan I watched Patrick Ramsey efficiently move our offense down the field in his first limited action. I still don't think that proves anything.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

As a Redskins fan I watched Patrick Ramsey efficiently move our offense down the field in his first limited action. I still don't think that proves anything.
                            Lol, what would Matt Moore have to do to convince you? Win League MVP?

Comment

I agree that Matt Moore may or may not be the replacement for Delhomme when his elbow falls off entirely, but I don't think they'd spend their first rounder on Matt Ryan. They have Delhomme, who was great until he had Tommy John Surgery. They have Moore, who is at worst, a stop-gap option. Derrick Harvey's available on your board at #13, and Mike Rucker retired. There's your pick.
                              - Also known as Dan.
                              - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X