No announcement yet.

2008 Mock Draft - Matt Ryan Slips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt Moore would have to put together a solid full season. There are also rumors from reliable sources that Carolina would be willing to trade with the Patriots to take Ryan at #7 so I don't see them passing on him at 13.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
      I agree that Matt Moore may or may not be the replacement for Delhomme when his elbow falls off entirely, but I don't think they'd spend their first rounder on Matt Ryan. They have Delhomme, who was great until he had Tommy John Surgery. They have Moore, who is at worst, a stop-gap option. Derrick Harvey's available on your board at #13, and Mike Rucker retired. There's your pick.
      If they pass on Ryan, I am 100% sure that they will take Derrick Harvey.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
        Matt Moore would have to put together a solid full season. There are also rumors from reliable sources that Carolina would be willing to trade with the Patriots to take Ryan at #7 so I don't see them passing on him at 13.
        Has Jay Cutler put together a solid full season? Vince Young? Matt Leinart?

List goes on and on buddy. Not many QBs put together a full solid season. Geez, give some respect to the defenses of the NFL for a change instead of assuming every offense can score at will.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I'm not sold on Cutler either and I'm willing to bet Leinart is a bust. Vince Young has put together as solid a season as he could with the talent around him and has shown enough in an extended amount of playing time to consider him a franchise QB.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

If they pass on Ryan, I am 100% sure that they will take Derrick Harvey.
            Why the hell would they take Matt Ryan over Derrick Harvey? He has two first names, for Chrissake. At least Matt Moore has a proper last name.
            - Also known as Dan.
            - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Why the hell would they take Matt Ryan over Derrick Harvey? He has two first names, for Chrissake. At least Matt Moore has a proper last name.
              lol... Well I hadn't considered the two first names thing, I must admit. I guess I'll drop Ryan to the 7th round =P

Actually if I were the GM in Carolina I would pass on Ryan for Harvey. But I'm not. Marty Hurney is and he is absolutely in love with Ryan. Personally, I wouldn't touch Ryan until maybe #17 with the Chiefs' second pick.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

I'm not sold on Cutler either and I'm willing to bet Leinart is a bust. Vince Young has put together as solid a season as he could with the talent around him and has shown enough in an extended amount of playing time to consider him a franchise QB.
                You totally missed my point.
                2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  You totally missed my point.
                  No I understand what you are saying. I just disagree. I think a quarterback has to put together a solid full season to consistently win in this league.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

I still don't see why the Ravens would pass on him.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                      I still don't see why the Ravens would pass on him.
                      They would pass in this scenario because Leodis McKelvin is a better prospect than Matt Ryan. I'm not sure if I agree with it, because Ryan isn't bad. He put up rather good numbers without any talent around him. He had 19 interceptions against some 600+ passes. That ratio is similar to Brian Brohm's (12 interceptions over just over 400 passes), and no one questions his decision making.
                      - Also known as Dan.
                      - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

They would pass in this scenario because Leodis McKelvin is a better prospect than Matt Ryan. I'm not sure if I agree with it, because Ryan isn't bad. He put up rather good numbers without any talent around him. He had 19 interceptions against some 600+ passes. That ratio is similar to Brian Brohm's (12 interceptions over just over 400 passes), and no one questions his decision making.
                        But CB isn't a gigantic glaring need. We have McAlister and Rolle. Sure Rolle will most likely get cut next offseason, but he is serviceable for the season.

Comment

Pretty much what Blaze said. Leodis McKelvin is clearly a top 10 prospect with very little questions translating to the NFL. Matt Ryan is a question mark at best and when you listen to GMs around the league you hear the same thing. He's got great intangibles and good instincts but they're just not sold on him. I think that's generous. I don't think he'd be anywhere near a round 1 selection if he came out with Young, Cutler, and Leinart and those guys haven't really done anything much so it's a reach at #8.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Pretty much what Blaze said. Leodis McKelvin is clearly a top 10 prospect with very little questions translating to the NFL. Matt Ryan is a question mark at best and when you listen to GMs around the league you hear the same thing. He's got great intangibles and good instincts but they're just not sold on him. I think that's generous. I don't think he'd be anywhere near a round 1 selection if he came out with Young, Cutler, and Leinart and those guys haven't really done anything much so it's a reach at #8.
                            Sure... it's easy to say that when Young, Cutler and Leinart are all in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                              But CB isn't a gigantic glaring need. We have McAlister and Rolle. Sure Rolle will most likely get cut next offseason, but he is serviceable for the season.
                              I think that the Ravens should draft a CB, but not in the first round. You can train a guy like Terrence Wheatley or Jack Williams if either falls to the late 3rd round, or pick up a guy like Charles Godfrey in the 2nd.

And there's definite question marks about both DRC and McKelvin transitioning into the NFL. Pure athleticism only gets you so far. McKelvin played in the Sun Belt Division, and Rodgers-Cromartie played in Division 1-AA. The jump from these divisions to the NFL is ginormous. The last few guys to play at Troy did do well in the NFL, but that's no guarantee.
                              - Also known as Dan.

Comment

First off McAllister and Rolle are both getting up there in age. Rolle's play, in particular, has seriously dropped off. Second off, quarterback is a risky position to pick because the intangibles are hard to evaluate. In the 2000 NFL Draft the first quarterback taken #18 overall was Chad Pennington. In the sixth round, #199 overall a little-known quarterback who was considered a project at best was taken by the New England Patriots. His name was Tom Brady. Point is, especially with Ryan having so many question marks, the Ravens are better off waiting until their second round pick to take a QB. Honestly, there's a decent chance the guy they get has a better career than Ryan anyway.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Working...
                                X