Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMONTERO
    replied
    Gholston has the speed and versatility to play coverage. He isn't just a rush player like most people have him pegged as. As I've said before, I consider Gholston the top prospect in this draft because of his versatility and pure athleticism.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
    I'm only going to respond to the Gholston issue because it's really all difference of opinion. But I would say that Kiwanuka doesn't exactly have the physical prowess of a Vernon Gholston.
    There is more to being a linebacker in a 4-3 than looking good when you take your shirt-off. Coverage?

Leave a comment:

• MMONTERO
    replied
    Once again though there is no value in this mock for the Chiefs at either pick. I suspect they could trade out of #17 down a bit to pick up Cherilus but outside of that option there is no one there to pick.

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
    Here are some other issues I have:

-You'd be willing to take Vernon Gholston as a LE?
    -You think that the Chief;s biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball? Have you seen their offensive line?
    -I think Brandon Albert to Pats is dumb because their defensive line held up for 18 games and I think your taking credit away from the best pass rush in the league.
    -Not a fan of projecting trades.
    -The Broncos have Ryan Harris, so I don't think they would LT.
    -The Lions are reportedly extremely high on Derrick Harvey.
    -I could see Arizona also taking Harvey over Mike Jenkins.
    -Ocho Cinco will not get traded. The Bengals don't have the cap to do it.
    -I don't see Tyrell Johnson over Kenny Phillips. Kenny Phillips provides versatility while Tyrell Johnson is being touted as an in-the-box safety which is a very overrated way to use your safety IMO.
    Although I don't agree with you much, I have to agree with most of those. Johnson is way overrated, and Albert at #7 is too high. Chiefs OL is horrible, and they have to go OL in the first round.

Leave a comment:

• MMONTERO
    replied
    I'm only going to respond to the Gholston issue because it's really all difference of opinion. But I would say that Kiwanuka doesn't exactly have the physical prowess of a Vernon Gholston.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    I mentioned that the Raiders could play Gholston at OLB too. I don't think he can only be a successful OLB in a 3-4. Gholston has all the intangibles you want in any defensive end or outside linebacker

The Chiefs do have glaring needs at offensive line but where is the value? At #5 Branden Albert and Ryan Clady would both be reaches at best. Plus, Sedrick Ellis is the better prospect and also plays a position they desperately need. At #17 there is no offensive lineman who gives them any value for their pick left on the board.

The Giants didn't devastate teams like they did the New England Patriots both times. If you look at the teams the Giants completely dominated, they had weak offensive lines. The Patriots would ideally like to trade that pick but I don't see them getting a satisfactory offer so Albert is the pick.

The Broncos need offensive line help so they will take the best offensive lineman available and juggle if need be. They might also take Mendenhall but I think the offensive line needs trump everything else.

The Lions may be high on Derrick Harvey and they may very well take him if he is still on the board. But they need the help at running back a lot more and if Mendenhall is still there I can't see them passing him up.

The Cardinals, as I mentioned, have such a need at corner that it would be hard for them to take anything else especially if Jenkins is on the board. If he isn't, I still think they would take Talib over Harvey due to need alone.

Chad Johnson's trade value will drop significantly after the draft since pretty much any team that needs a wideout will be able to draft one. If they don't trade him now, he will be dead cap space with no value instead of dead cap space that got something in return.

Tyrell Johnson vs. Kenny Phillips is a complete tossup in my mind.
    -I just don't see Gholston as a linebacker in a 4-3. It didn't work for Kiwanuka and I don't see it working for him. Plus they have Thomas Howard, who became a play-making linebacker.

-I'm alright with the Sedrick Ellis pick, I just didn't like how you prioritized D-Line over O-Line.

-The Giants leading the league in sacks sums up how I feel about their pass-rushing capabilities. They were also able to pin their ears back, ignore an ineffective Mauroney and use different blitzes and looks to get to Tom Brady.

-Like I said; Ryan Harris in the zone-blocking scheme sounds alright to me.

-I think they need help at DE more. They were the 31st ranked defense and rely on the pass rush a lot in their Tampa-2 system.

-I can understand where an argument for CB over DE can be made.

-But it's basically impossible, because of their salary cap.

-Like I said, Kenny Phillip's versatility beats out Tyrell Johnson's one-dimensional in the box play.

Leave a comment:

• MMONTERO
    replied

-You think that the Chief;s biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball? Have you seen their offensive line?
    -I think Brandon Albert to Pats is dumb because their defensive line held up for 18 games and I think your taking credit away from the best pass rush in the league.
    -I don't see Tyrell Johnson over Kenny Phillips. Kenny Phillips provides versatility while Tyrell Johnson is being touted as an in-the-box safety which is a very overrated way to use your safety IMO.
    I mentioned that the Raiders could play Gholston at OLB too. I don't think he can only be a successful OLB in a 3-4. Gholston has all the intangibles you want in any defensive end or outside linebacker

The Chiefs do have glaring needs at offensive line but where is the value? At #5 Branden Albert and Ryan Clady would both be reaches at best. Plus, Sedrick Ellis is the better prospect and also plays a position they desperately need. At #17 there is no offensive lineman who gives them any value for their pick left on the board.

The Giants didn't devastate teams like they did the New England Patriots both times. If you look at the teams the Giants completely dominated, they had weak offensive lines. The Patriots would ideally like to trade that pick but I don't see them getting a satisfactory offer so Albert is the pick.

The Broncos need offensive line help so they will take the best offensive lineman available and juggle if need be. They might also take Mendenhall but I think the offensive line needs trump everything else.

The Lions may be high on Derrick Harvey and they may very well take him if he is still on the board. But they need the help at running back a lot more and if Mendenhall is still there I can't see them passing him up.

The Cardinals, as I mentioned, have such a need at corner that it would be hard for them to take anything else especially if Jenkins is on the board. If he isn't, I still think they would take Talib over Harvey due to need alone.

Chad Johnson's trade value will drop significantly after the draft since pretty much any team that needs a wideout will be able to draft one. If they don't trade him now, he will be dead cap space with no value instead of dead cap space that got something in return.

Tyrell Johnson vs. Kenny Phillips is a complete tossup in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    If CB isn't a need on the Ravens defense, then wtf is?
    WE ARE PERFECTION.

J/K, but if the Ravens decided to go after a WR in the second round, I wouldn't be angry. CB is still a need but we need a QB twice as much as we need a CB.

Leave a comment:

• Blazedestin
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    I think it definitely is, but it's not a paramount need that needs to be addressed in the first round.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blazedestin
    replied

- Branden Albert to the Pats isn't the worst move. If I was the Patriots, Albert would be #4 on my board (Behind DRC, McKelvin, and Rivers), but Walter brings up a good point. Stephen Neal is an average guard who is getting old and is coming off injuries. I don't know if RG is a great way to spend a top 10 pick, especially when you have a fully depleted secondary, but it does fill a need.
    - I think the Cardinals will take CB over DE, even if it is Jenkins vs. Harvey. They need fast cornerbacks badly, and Jenkins fits the bill. I know they lost Calvin Pace, and Harvey can play the 3-4 Rush OLB (He bulked up over the offseason, but he could lose if it he had to), but I see the secondary as a bigger area of need.

- Tyrell Johnson would be a terrible pick for the Giants. I'd rather see them take Cliff Avril or Lawrence Jackson than a box safety who will struggle in coverage.
    - And Antoine Cason is going to go instead of Aqib Talib. Cason is a little shorter and slightly slower (.07 seconds, both are 4.4's), but he's more experienced and more physical. Talib is a poor tackler, IMO. This is not even considering his failed marijuana tests.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    First off McAllister and Rolle are both getting up there in age. Rolle's play, in particular, has seriously dropped off. Second off, quarterback is a risky position to pick because the intangibles are hard to evaluate. In the 2000 NFL Draft the first quarterback taken #18 overall was Chad Pennington. In the sixth round, #199 overall a little-known quarterback who was considered a project at best was taken by the New England Patriots. His name was Tom Brady. Point is, especially with Ryan having so many question marks, the Ravens are better off waiting until their second round pick to take a QB. Honestly, there's a decent chance the guy they get has a better career than Ryan anyway.
    QB is a bigger need than CB. I don't see how that can be argued. Sure, Rolle and McAlister got injured but at least they are on the roster. Ozzie isn't afraid to go after a QB just because of the risk. He was trying to trade up for Brady Quinn last year.

Leave a comment:

• Blazedestin
    replied
    First off McAllister and Rolle are both getting up there in age. Rolle's play, in particular, has seriously dropped off. Second off, quarterback is a risky position to pick because the intangibles are hard to evaluate. In the 2000 NFL Draft the first quarterback taken #18 overall was Chad Pennington. In the sixth round, #199 overall a little-known quarterback who was considered a project at best was taken by the New England Patriots. His name was Tom Brady. Point is, especially with Ryan having so many question marks, the Ravens are better off waiting until their second round pick to take a QB. Honestly, there's a decent chance the guy they get has a better career than Ryan anyway.
    Are you seriously trying to lecture PuppyPuncher? On the RAVENS?

Get off Walter's message board. Right now.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MMONTERO
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X