Drafting History 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting History 101

Lesson #1 from Prof. McGuire in my NFLD 101 class, read this article..it's a pre-req.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...t&lid=tab4pos2
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

There's the obvious message that a QB can't function without an offensive line protecting him and that nothing's guaranteed.

But I think if the Ravens took Matt Ryan, he could be successful. At least, he'd be walking into a better situation than most of the other first pick QB's did. Their offensive line isn't bad. They have Willis McGahee, who should be at 100% for 2008. Their receiving corps is mediocre at best, but that can be improved in the draft. Same with the secondary.

I'm not sure if the Ravens can get above 7-9 this season, but they're not nearly as bad of a team as the #8 overall pick would indicate.
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Too long. Can I have a summary?

Comment

Ravnes have a pretty good OL, I was talking about in general not Ryan unless the Chiefs were dumb enough to make this pick which I think is certainly not going to happen.

Gaither, Terry, Yanda, Carter, and Grubbs make for a pretty good offensive line for the future and Ogden is still here.

The Ravens have an underrated OL imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Ravnes have a pretty good OL, I was talking about in general not Ryan unless the Chiefs were dumb enough to make this pick which I think is certainly not going to happen.

Gaither, Terry, Yanda, Carter, and Grubbs make for a pretty good offensive line for the future and Ogden is still here.

The Ravens have an underrated OL imo.
          Yes, I agree we have a very young line that will only continue to develop. We don't have a Carter though. You must mean Chester.

I think Demetrius Williams could surprise this year, he possesses one of my favorite skills when it comes to WRs: The ability to fight for the ball when it's in the air.

Comment

Yeah, but beyond that, Derrick Mason will be 35 at some point during the season. Who else do you have at WR?
            - Also known as Dan.
            - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
              Yeah, but beyond that, Derrick Mason will be 35 at some point during the season. Who else do you have at WR?
              Mark Clayton, a first round receiver out of 2005. He was supposed to have a breakout season. Had some nagging injuries in his hamstring. I still wouldn't be surprised if this was his breakout season. I've read that Harbaugh is looking to make the WRs tougher in terms of getting YAC this year.

Comment

Right, right. Mark Clayton. Forgot about him. Wonder why? </sarcasm>

I still wouldn't be thrilled about your WR corps. Adding a 2nd or 3rd rounder at receiver would do wonders, methinks.
                - Also known as Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                  Right, right. Mark Clayton. Forgot about him. Wonder why? </sarcasm>

I still wouldn't be thrilled about your WR corps. Adding a 2nd or 3rd rounder at receiver would do wonders, methinks.
                  Yeah, yeah. Beat down on Mark Clayton. Not his fault that Steve McNair locks onto Todd Heap and Derrick Mason. Or that Kyle Boller locks onto Devard Darling deep.

I'm not thrilled with them overall, and I agree that we'll probably target a guy like Doucet in the second round.

Comment

Yeah I got Chester and Carter confused...both former Sooner centers.

Comment

In making his comparison he fails to note that Tim Couch went to an expansion team and the last I knew we didn’t have any new teams enter the league this year. So although there are some pretty poor teams out there he might go to…None could compare to what TC had to face. The local media ripped this kid apart
                      And he lost faith in his abilities. I really loved his passion for the game. So I conceder him a bust with an (*)
                      Because I think we all had a part in his demise. By all I mean that in a general sense.
                      Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

Comment

True but then by definition by giving Couch an asterisk, then nearly every bust deserves an asterisk.

Couch wasn't half bad late in his career.

What hurt his career the most was Hal Mumme making him through 300+ passes every day in practice at Kentucky. He really wore down his great arm.

Comment

True but then by definition by giving Couch an asterisk, then nearly every bust deserves an asterisk.

Couch wasn't half bad late in his career.

What hurt his career the most was Hal Mumme making him through 300+ passes every day in practice at Kentucky. He really wore down his great arm.
                          True but Couch lost confidence in his self…It was written all over his face. That’s not the same face he wore as a young draft prospect. Some times we are own worst enemies. This man was brutalized by the media and
                          Could never live up to the top pick. He was supposed to single handedly resurrect this proud franchise from the ashes. Its taken them until 2006 before they really started to fix an OL that was always the worst in the league, not to mention giving him second round bust like WR Quincy Morgan to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
                            True but Couch lost confidence in his self…It was written all over his face. That’s not the same face he wore as a young draft prospect. Some times we are own worst enemies. This man was brutalized by the media and
                            Could never live up to the top pick. He was supposed to single handedly resurrect this proud franchise from the ashes. Its taken them until 2006 before they really started to fix an OL that was always the worst in the league, not to mention giving him second round bust like WR Quincy Morgan to work with.
                            I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but I'm going to be honest.

Rumors were that Tim Couch was a total idiot...and I mean that he just wasn't very smart at all. Even with the loss of confidence, I never really thought he could learn an NFL playbook.

BUT, it hurt him so much that Butch Davis was his head coach.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but I'm going to be honest.

Rumors were that Tim Couch was a total idiot...and I mean that he just wasn't very smart at all. Even with the loss of confidence, I never really thought he could learn an NFL playbook.

BUT, it hurt him so much that Butch Davis was his head coach.
                              That could be...He was not the sharpest pencil in the box to start with

Comment

Working...
                              X