Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W5 Why is New Orleans favored over Carolina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W5 Why is New Orleans favored over Carolina?

Hello, I am new at handicapping, but have been doing pretty well the first 4 weeks. I absolutely do not understand why the LV line is favoring New Orleans over Carolina. I understand there is a rule of thumb 3 point home advantage, but it still should have Carolina the favorite. Can anyone explain this please? Thanks, Duke (a coffee pool player)

Welcome to the site, Duke.

By setting this line at -3, Vegas is implying these teams are even. I think it would have been different a week ago, but the Panthers lost to Tampa Bay at home, and David Carr was absolutely dreadful. That's why Saints are -3.

I take it you like Carolina? I do as well.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Thanks Walter, your reasoning makes sense. Do you think the LV experts have those variables such as losing a home gain, and an individuals poor performance factored into a computer program? If I look at USA today's site I see 6 different line sources which only vary 1/2 a point. It would seem that they either are all using the same program, or else five of them are copying one's line, and adding a .5 point of individuality. My simple program says Carolina by three points. Of course I only have a total of 4 weeks experience with it, but I have won $250 in coffee. Duke

Comment

I don't know if they use a computer program. I think they have to have some sort of inside information, or anything that has to do with larceny, because when they set an obvious line, the average bettors seldom win.
        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Walter, I am sure they have a computer program cranking out the line. I just don't know if it is one original and five copies, or six very similar programs. Remember I am new at this so I am just using my engineering experience, on what I see as a interesting problem. If I understand it right, LV wants the line to produce an equal amount of winners and losers. They make the most money on a 50/50 split. They must have been upset in week 4 because there were 11 wins against the spread. Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect. Duke

Comment

Originally posted by Duke View Post
            If I understand it right, LV wants the line to produce an equal amount of winners and losers. They make the most money on a 50/50 split. Duke
            Contrary to popular belief, this is a myth! Vegas wants 50/50 on some games, but sometimes they put out a soft line to induce a lot of action on one side, because they know the other one is right.
            2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

Interesting. If you are right about deliberate skewing of the line, then it follows that there is collusion among the six companies putting out almost identical lines. I think in one of your pre-game discussions you used the words "let's see where the money is". What did you mean?

Comment

Check out my picks page:

http://walterfootball.com/picks.php

I have an entire section for each pick devoted to whom the public is picking, and how many bets are being placed. If there is one-sided action on a game, chances are it goes the other way.
                2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

Working...
                X