Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
    I dont remember it.

Although i expect Mario Williams to give him, just like every other tackle alot of trouble because of the speed/strength combo he possesses that most DE's dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Smith View Post
      I highly doubt that happens, as it is right now i half way expect Calvin Pace to be on the Weak side and Gholston to be on the strong side where his speed and strength will match up better against TE's when he has to drop in coverage.

And also Shawne Merriman plays on the strong side as well, i thought we covered that once before?
      Calvin Pace 6'5' 272 lbs was a SOLB with the Cardinals....So I thought he might play there with the Jets. Why would they put their best pass rusher on the strong side.

And also Shawne Merriman plays on the strong side as well, i thought we covered that once before...I have never had this debate with you or anyone else on this or any other forum.
      Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
        Calvin Pace 6'5' 272 lbs was a SOLB with the Cardinals....So I thought he might play there with the Jets. Why would they put their best pass rusher on the strong side.

And also Shawne Merriman plays on the strong side as well, i thought we covered that once before...I have never had this debate with you or anyone else on this or any other forum.
        They would put him on the strong side because like i said before not only does he have the strength to handle the Tackles but the speed to drop back and cover even the fastest TE's like Vernon Davis.

Calvin Pace did play SS in Arizona but he was also barely average if that. I could be wrong but i just see them fitting better with Pace playing the weakside and Gholston playing the Strongside.

Why they would put him there is similar to the reasons Merriman plays the strong side. He's physical, fast, can cover TE's and handle Tackles and TE's on the pass rush and still get to the QB...

Comment

I know that it makes more sense to make Gholston their SAM linebacker, but I really hope that Mangini switches him over to WILL for the Miami games. Where's the threat at TE that he might need to cover, anyway? Anthony Fasano? He was traded as part of a package deal for a fourth rounder. I don't think the Cowboys missed him.
          - Also known as Dan.
          - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
            I know that it makes more sense to make Gholston their SAM linebacker, but I really hope that Mangini switches him over to WILL for the Miami games. Where's the threat at TE that he might need to cover, anyway? Anthony Fasano? He was traded as part of a package deal for a fourth rounder. I don't think the Cowboys missed him.
            If they play him a Sam i dont see them switching him to Will just for the drama of Jake Long Vs Vernon Gholston, Especiually since Kenyon Colman will be the one lined up on him the majority of the time

Comment

I think you guys are missing the point. Calvin Pace is not a pass rush threat. Why would they put him there with the drafting of the best pass rusher in the draft ? It just makes no sense. Pace was signed to be a SOLB for the Jets.
              Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05-01-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I think you guys are missing the point. Calvin Pace is not a pass rush threat. Why would they put him there with the drafting of the best pass rusher in the draft ? It just makes no sense. Pace was signed to be a SOLB for the Jets.
                I agree with this comment.

Comment

Agree Gholston will rotate with Bryan Thomas and will probably take over by week 8 full time (hopefully) because Thomas is a bum.
                  WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                  Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

If they play him a Sam i dont see them switching him to Will just for the drama of Jake Long Vs Vernon Gholston, Especiually since Kenyon Colman will be the one lined up on him the majority of the time
                    I can hope, can't I? I said before I don't see them doing it.
                    - Also known as Dan.
                    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                      Come on Matt dont ruin the fantasy! I actually like Miami.
                      Then why the hell would u want them to pick first again next year?

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
                      HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Nice to see Walter only gives QBs only one season of an NFL career to determine how good they really are (much less on a 2-14 team like he is saying).
                        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

He was never a threat because he was a LB in a 4-3 scheme, and he was a DE coming out of college not a LB'er. So he has pass rush ability he just never got a chance to use it until Arizona started using a few 3-4 sets last year.

Besides one thing your missing is that the design of the 3-4 scheme is not to try and exploit the QB's blind side. Its to try and exploit the entire offensive line by putting together a package where the offense never knows there the 4th D-lineman is whether its the sam or the will or either of the ILB's.

The 3-4 is not like the 4-3 where the majority of the pass rush comes at the QB's blind side. The 3-4 is designed for it to come from everywhere. That's why defenses like SD are successful. They has to Rush linebackers in Phillips and Merriman. Same with Baltimore before this year with Adailus Thomas and Terrell Suggs...

But its not that hard of a concept to figure out, similar to SF playing LAwson on the SS to play Banta-Cain on the weak...
                          Last edited by Craig Smith; 05-02-2008, 08:30 AM.

Comment

He was never a threat because he was a LB in a 4-3 scheme, and he was a DE coming out of college not a LB'er. So he has pass rush ability he just never got a chance to use it until Arizona started using a few 3-4 sets last year.

Besides one thing your missing is that the design of the 3-4 scheme is not to try and exploit the QB's blind side. Its to try and exploit the entire offensive line by putting together a package where the offense never knows there the 4th D-lineman is whether its the sam or the will or either of the ILB's.

The 3-4 is not like the 4-3 where the majority of the pass rush comes at the QB's blind side. The 3-4 is designed for it to come from everywhere. That's why defenses like SD are successful. They has to Rush linebackers in Phillips and Merriman. Same with Baltimore before this year with Adailus Thomas and Terrell Suggs...

But its not that hard of a concept to figure out, similar to SF playing LAwson on the SS to play Banta-Cain on the weak...
                            Emmitt, is that you?
                            Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

Of coarse I know the difference between the two defenses, but in a 3-4 you still want your best pass rusher on the weak side, because he has less coverage responsibilities with the TE.
                              IE….Lawrence Taylor, Kamerion Wimbley and also you use Shawne Merriman as an example, but the truth is that they move him around in pass rush situations. So he is not always rushing from the strong side. you could be right, but I just don't see Pace as a WOLB. also he is more experienced in coverage schemes.
                              Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05-02-2008, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X