Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2009 NFL Draft Mailbag - Why do I hate Tarvaris Jackson and the Tennessee Titans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 NFL Draft Mailbag - Why do I hate Tarvaris Jackson and the Tennessee Titans?

http://walterfootball.com/draftmailbag.php

I've received like 2,000 e-mails exactly like these two.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Walter, do you know for certain if the Titans will use Chris Johnson at RB? I know he split time at RB and WR at East Carolina. They could decide to move him as a deep threat at receiver.
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

lol yeah imagein this War Room conversation:

Jeff Fisher: "Well we need a deep threat at WR"

Head Scout #1: "Sir, Devin Thomas and DeSean Jackson are on the board...they are the best deep threat WRs...(cutoff)"

Jeff Fisher: "They can't play RB...Chris Johnson is the pick!"
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

LOL seriously, I'm going to have the Titans draft a RB with one of their first two picks in every single mock I make from now on.

Johnson will be split out wide on some occasions, but the Titans need a real WR.
        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

What sucks the most is that we have to hold off our evaluation of VY for another year...maybe 2 because he doesn't have the talent around him.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Titans only win 5-6 games next year in that brutal division.
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

walter. i see that you've been saying that tavaris played crappy over the last couple games. while that is true, the rest of the team played terrible as well. these are week 16 and 17 totals: peterson- 63 total yards, 0 td's. taylor- 148 total yards (51 receiving), 0 td's. longwell- 1/2 on field goals. run defense- 234 yards allowed. pass defense- 515 yards allowed, 5 td's, no ints. pass rush- 3 sacks. offensive line- 5 sacks allowed (4 vs denver). williamson- 1 easy touchdown vs denver, 2 other big gains vs denver, dropped. i dont know if you did, but if you watched these games (mostly denver) you would see that tavaris was the only person who didnt appear to quit. he might not have had great or even decent numbers but he fought to bring us back. 90% of vikings fans (myself included) think t-jack can be an adequet starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              What sucks the most is that we have to hold off our evaluation of VY for another year...maybe 2 because he doesn't have the talent around him.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Titans only win 5-6 games next year in that brutal division.
              They better win with defense, since VY has no weapons and their runners, no matter how many they get, aren't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter
                Nice stats, but I'll throw this one at you:

Person A- 3-0, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 1 lost fumble, 63.4% completion in Weeks 15-17
                Person B - 1-2, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 2 lost fumbles, 58.4% completion in Weeks 15-17

A is Young; B is Jackson.

When opposing teams started loading up against the run to stop Adrian Peterson and the season was on the line, Jackson folded terribly. The Vikings may make the playoffs, but once they get there, they're done. Think the Ravens in the earlier part of this decade, or even the Dolphins with Jay Fiedler.

I have a friend who works at the Mirage, and he told me that the books were terrified at the prospect of Minnesota making the playoffs because they knew the sharp bettors were going to bet against them and make tons of money.
                First off, I should say thanks to Walter and most of the rest of this community for keeping things real and honest about Tarvaris Jackson and his current lack of skill. Talking to all Vikings fans I know personally, they all think of Jackson like he's our team's achilles heel. However, when you take the conversation to the internet, there are always a handfull of people out there who are very vocal in their efforts to defend Jackson, and who are usually armed with some manufactured and utterly meaningless stats that never hold up to any level of scrutiny. I honestly often wonder if half of the guys doing that are real Vikings fans, or if they are really Packer/Bears fans who just want to see the team stuck with Jackson under center for longer. lol

Originally posted by craigdizzle28 View Post
                walter. i see that you've been saying that tavaris played crappy over the last couple games. while that is true, the rest of the team played terrible as well. these are week 16 and 17 totals: peterson- 63 total yards, 0 td's. taylor- 148 total yards (51 receiving), 0 td's. longwell- 1/2 on field goals. run defense- 234 yards allowed. pass defense- 515 yards allowed, 5 td's, no ints. pass rush- 3 sacks. offensive line- 5 sacks allowed (4 vs denver). williamson- 1 easy touchdown vs denver, 2 other big gains vs denver, dropped.
                Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor had bad numbers because other teams were selling out to stop the run against the Vikings, just daring the Vikings to throw. Jackson obviously didn't get the job done, which is what Walter is talking about. The fact that he wasn't able to hit, often wide open, receivers is a testament to the fact that he was not getting his job done even given extremely easy opprotunities to do so. Passing doesn't get much easier than it does against the soft man-to-man coverage, with no saftey help, that he was seeing most of the time. The defense suffered in those games because they were on the field all of the time, and usually they were in horrible field position, all thanks to the Jackson's inability to generate any kind of passing game.

i dont know if you did, but if you watched these games (mostly denver) you would see that tavaris was the only person who didnt appear to quit. he might not have had great or even decent numbers but he fought to bring us back.
                I don't think anyone is questioning Jackson's heart. He plays with heart, and generally seems like a good kid. However, that doesn't change the fact that I think...

1: He was a huge reach draft day.

2: He has not developed enough to where he's a competent starter. (At most he should be a backup.)

3: It's a huge mistake for the organization to never pick up another first-day QB, or veteran QB with starting potential, to push Jackson, and give the team some insurance for when he fails.

4: Jackson's mental toughness just doesn't seem to be there.

5: Potential doesn't win games. If it did, Jeff George would be in the hall of fame right now, with an open spot next to him being prepared for Aaron Brooks. Also, heart doesn't win games either. Skill does win games... and Jackson is sorely lacking in the skill department.

6: Jackson can win games with this team because the team will carry him no matter how bad he plays, but having him a QB is a massive, hemorrhaging liability and the presence of his incompetence at QB virtually guarantees the Vikings have no shot at winning a Championship.

90% of vikings fans (myself included) think t-jack can be an adequet starter.
                I beg to differ. I would say it's more like...

At least 90% of Vikings fans think Tarvaris Jackson should not be starting.

At least 90% of Vikings fans are angry that the team doesn't seem to be concerned with the fact that opposing defenses are able to stack 8-9 guys in the box on every down where Adrian Peterson is in the backfield, with absolutely zero fear of our passing game.

At least 90% of Vikings fans have been rooting vigorously for the Vikings to draft a real QB (meaning 1st or 2nd rounder) in each of the last 2 drafts.

At least 90% of Vikings fans are exasperated with the organization's stubborn insistence on going with a guy (Jackson) who clearly doesn't seem to have what it takes to start in the NFL.

At least 90% of Vikings fans are angry that this elite, Super Bowl caliber, team has been, and is currently being, wasted on a project QB that clearly isn't ready to start and is the only major weakness on the team that anyone can identify.

Maybe he can become an adequate starter, someday... in like 3 to 5 years.

$0.02,

--Z
                Last edited by ZN0rseman; 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM.
                sigpic
                WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
                PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
                NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
                Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
                Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
                MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
                PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
                Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
                Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
                ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
                Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
                TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
                InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
                Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
                EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
                EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
                Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
                BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
                Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  lol yeah imagein this War Room conversation:

Jeff Fisher: "Well we need a deep threat at WR"

Head Scout #1: "Sir, Devin Thomas and DeSean Jackson are on the board...they are the best deep threat WRs...(cutoff)"

Jeff Fisher: "They can't play RB...Chris Johnson is the pick!"
                  These are the Titans we're talking about here. Jesus christ.
                  - Also known as Dan.
                  - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Awesome post ZN0rseman... I was going to respond but you covered everything.
                    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                      These are the Titans we're talking about here. Jesus christ.
                      Wishbone, anyone?
                      Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

the vikings are NOT an "elite, superbowl caliber team". their offensive line is still inconsistent and their receivers still suck. end of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by xooberon View Post
                          the vikings are NOT an "elite, superbowl caliber team". their offensive line is still inconsistent and their receivers still suck. end of discussion.
                          There not an elite team but they can be good. The playoffs are about power running and stopping the run which there are the best in the biz at doing.
                          Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Well they got Berrian and their left side is incredible. Right tackle is an issue.
                            2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

yeah incredible at run blocking but i still maintain hutchinson is inconsistent in pass pro and mckinnie has ways to go until he should be considered as a great overall tackle

Comment

Working...
                              X