2008 Fantasy Football Top 20 players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Fantasy Football Top 20 players

Undoubtedly, last year was the year of the quarterback. Tom Brady and Tony Romo both put owners to shame for passing up on them with #1 overall selections and had great years. Thus, productivity from wide receivers also increased and running backs suffered. This year, expect a return to normalcy as several teams have improved their rushing attack with free agency and the draft.

1. RB LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers
    Tomlinson should still be the first back taken in all mock drafts. He has consistently put up good numbers in every year and, despite injuries last year, was still a great #1 RB in fantasy football.

2. RB Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings
    Peterson had a great rookie season with the Minnesota Vikings and proved himself a solid fantasy option at running back. However, injury concerns are still an issue with Peterson because of his upright running style making him a bit of a risky pick and giving Tomlinson the edge as the number 1 pick.

3. QB Tom Brady, New England Patriots
    There is no way that Brady will produce at the levels he produced in his record-breaking 2007 campaign. However, Brady is still the undisputed #1 fantasy option at quarterback and, given the dropoff in running back talent after Peterson and Tomlinson, deserves to be the number 3 pick. I suspect Brady could go as high as #1 overall in many mock drafts.

4. RB Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts
    Most "experts" would put a few running backs over Addai here but Addai is in a system that screams consistency. Addai produced very well in both of his first two seasons and, in an offense with that many weapons, you can expect more of the same.

5. RB Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles
    Brian Westbrook went to his first Pro Bowl last year but he has been a Pro Bowl caliber running back for years. Westbrook's fantasy value will spike as soon as McNabb goes down for any extended period of time. History shows that is likely. Westbrook will be the ideal safety outlet for Kevin Kolb.

6. RB Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams
    Jackson struggled last year due to injuries to both, him and his offensive line. This year, if Orlando Pace can stay healthy, he should be right back to form. He should still be considered a risky pick here but his potential is too much to ignore any longer.

7. QB Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
    This is probably a bit early for the second quarterback to be taken but Peyton Manning is an absolute fantasy stud. Manning gives more solid fantasy value than any running back left on the board.

8. RB Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins
    This is a classic risk/reward pick. No one knows exactly how Portis will be used in the West Coast offense of Jim Zorn. We do know that Portis has consistently produced at a high level in the NFL and should continue to do so however he is used.

9. RB Marion Barber, Dallas Cowboys
    Forget the fact that Barber should share some carries with Felix Jones. Forget the fact that he will never be an every down back. Barber is a stud. When given the ball, he produces in a big way. He has shown beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is a first-round fantasy value.

10. RB Ronnie Brown, Miami Dolphins
    Ronnie Brown really showed that he should be the back in Miami. Injuries slowed what could have been a stellar season for the young back. Whether Miami uses John Beck, Josh McCown, or Chad Henne at quarterback, Ronnie Brown will have a huge role in that offense and should be a solid fantasy producer.

11. RB Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo Bills
    Lynch showed last year that he could produce at the NFL level. Now, entering his second year, he will be asked to carry the offense as Trent Edwards goes into his first year starting. Lynch should put up great numbers as the #1 back and Edwards's safety valve.

12. RB Ryan Grant, Green Bay Packers
    Ryan Grant was a fantasy stud with Brett Favre leading the offense. While he benefited from the fear of the Packers' passing game, he also showed that he was a great open-field runner. With Rodgers taking over the quarterbacking duties, Grant's value should go up, not down. He is a very solid running back and should get even more carries with the departure of the greatest quarterback the Packers have ever had.

13. QB Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
    Tony Romo put up great numbers last year but he has been known to falter at the end of the season. He also has a wide receiver corps that is only getting older. Romo should still be a stud with Terrell Owens and Jason Witten to throw to but be careful with picking him. He could be a real hit or miss.

14. RB Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers
    Frank Gore was supposed to be an absolute fantasy stud last season. Instead he flopped. Gore is a great running back with solid skills but he has no support around him in that offense. Until he does, he doesn't justify a first-round pick.

15. RB Willie Parker, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Parker should lose out on some carries with the presence of Rashard Mendenhall and injuries are still a concern. Parker, when healthy, is an absolute beast but lack of touchdowns is another issue that drops Parker to the second round.

16. WR Randy Moss, New England Patriots
    After his 2007 campaign, Randy Moss is back where he belongs atop the NFL's wide receivers. Moss could be picked as high as the first round but I would personally discourage it. Wide receivers are rarely good first-round value.

17. RB Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs
    Johnson's fantasy value has plummeted faster than any other human's on record. However, Johnson could return to form and it is probably way to early to give up on him. If he falls this far, he could be great value.

18. QB Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
    Most people would put Carson Palmer ahead of Drew Brees but with all the questions surrounding Chad Johnson I think Brees gets the edge. Despite starting so badly last year, Brees still put up an impressive fantasy season.

19. WR Terrell Owens, Dallas Cowboys
    Owens has made a habit of putting up monster years. This year should be no exception.

20. WR Andre Johnson, Houston Texans
    When healthy last year, Johnson put up great fantasy numbers. He is easily second-round quality.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

McGahee > Larry Johnson & Willie Parker

Joseph Addai should not be that high, he couldn't get over 75 yards from weeks 10-17.

What's so great about Frank Gore?

Comment

I plain disagree with McGahee > Johnson and Parker. Both Johnson and Parker have more upside. Addai is the most consistent producer on the board there and he plays in an offense that gives him the potential value to be right where he is. Frank Gore is a great open field runner with explosive moves, and the strength to break tackles. He would be a perennial Pro Bowler on a better team.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

2009?
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
          I plain disagree with McGahee > Johnson and Parker. Both Johnson and Parker have more upside. Addai is the most consistent producer on the board there and he plays in an offense that gives him the potential value to be right where he is. Frank Gore is a great open field runner with explosive moves, and the strength to break tackles. He would be a perennial Pro Bowler on a better team.
          I don't see the upside in two running backs with terrible offensive lines. Larry Johnson is done now that he has had his pay day. Willie Parker is coming off a broken fibula.

Comment

yeah uh my bad meant 2008

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Gore is a pro-bowler. He went to the PB in 07 and should go this year.

Comment

I'm staying away from Ronnie Brown and Willie Parker. Miami still has yet to prove any offensive player can be worth a draft pick let alone top 2 rounds... and My man Mendenhall is a stud and might take away from Parker
                Check out my new site Today!
                Live 4 The Story

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Maciasz View Post
                  I'm staying away from Ronnie Brown and Willie Parker. Miami still has yet to prove any offensive player can be worth a draft pick let alone top 2 rounds... and My man Mendenhall is a stud and might take away from Parker
                  Ronnie Brown hauled ass last year before getting injured.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
                    Gore is a pro-bowler. He went to the PB in 07 and should go this year.
                    I am staying away from Frank Gore as long as Mike Martz is in San Fran...

People will be disappointed b y him again this year, not because of lack of talent, but because of horrendus play calling...

Comment

I'd try to acquire Gore around Week 8, personally.

I figure that Martz will have to change his philosophy when he realizes he doesn't have a QB or a WR Corps to adequately utilize his offensive scheme.
                      - Also known as Dan.
                      - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

I heard a good sleeper TE but I don't really want to tell anyone in Admin/Mod league Matt or Walter is setting up.

PM me if you are interested.
                        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

You and I agree at no. 1, 2 and 3 MMONTERO. However, I have Steven Jackson slotted 4th over Addai and Westbrook, with Manning 5th. In the case of Addai/Manning, Peyton touches the ball on every single offensive snap whereas Addai's production will be predicated upon getting the call from the O-Coordinator. Add to that the fact Kenton Keith will slice into his carries and the Colts drafted a Mike Hart, a very productive runner for the Wolverines. I had both Manning and Addai on separate rosters, and Manning easily outproduced Addai in terms of weekly fantasy points production.

I agree with Gore at 14, Parker at 15 and Johnson at 17. As a matter of fact, many draft "experts" has Larry Johnson ranked as low as the 3rd round due in large part to a lack of talent around him on offense and the fact he is coming back from an injury. As far as Gore and Parker go, like Johnson they too are both coming off injuries. In Gore's case, he too doesn't have much talent around him on offense and the hiring of Mike Martz will be his achilles heel in '08. The reason I can see Parker ranked 15th is the fact the Steelers got perhaps the steal of the draft by grabbing Rashard Mendenhall with the 23rd pick. I believe whole heartedly that Pittsburgh will deploy a 2-back system in order to alleviate any injury concerns to Parker and to have him "fresh" for the playoffs (they do not want to enter the playoffs with a rookie at RB).

Also, I'd like to just mention the guys whom I think are ranked a bit too high:

8. Clinton Portis
                          10. Ronnie Brown

And finally, I wanted to mention how astounded I was when I saw Randy Moss ranked 16th considering he's got a year under his belt catching passes from arguably the best QB in the league. The only offensive component NE lost in the off-season was Donte' Stallworth, who wasn't a major factor on offense. Everyone else returns. So I don't see much of a slide on Moss' part, if any at all. I personally have Moss in the top 10 on my cheat sheet.
                          sigpic
                          'GRD Vypers' ready to roll in '08!!

Comment

I don't understand at all how you can have LaDanian Tomlinson ahead of Adrian Peterson.

My top 3 would be in this order...

1: RB Adrian Peterson - Vikings
                            2: RB Joseph Addai - Colts
                            3: RB LaDainian Tomlinson - Chargers
                            sigpic
                            WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
                            PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
                            NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
                            Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
                            Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
                            MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
                            PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
                            Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
                            Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
                            ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
                            Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
                            TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
                            InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
                            Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
                            EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
                            EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
                            Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
                            BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
                            Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
                              I don't understand at all how you can have LaDanian Tomlinson ahead of Adrian Peterson.

My top 3 would be in this order...

1: RB Adrian Peterson - Vikings
                              2: RB Joseph Addai - Colts
                              3: RB LaDainian Tomlinson - Chargers
                              It's in another topic (I think Yahoo Round 1 Mock Draft), but my reasons are this. Injuries, Splitting Time, Forced to run with 8 in the box, and Sophomore Slump.

Tomlinson comes in with questions too, though. He's coming off an injury (MCL Sprain, right?), and he's nearing the age of regression for a RB. Addai is probably the most reliable of the three you have, but he won't put up great total numbers.
                              - Also known as Dan.
                              - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X