X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich Gannon on Tarvaris Jackson

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings...er=Vikings

Gannon foresees Jackson reaching potential in '08
    The former quarterback gushes about the young Vikings signal-caller, but cautions that the third-year player needs to stay healthy and build consistency.

Add former Oakland and MVP quarterback Rich Gannon to the people at Winter Park who look for quarterback Tarvaris Jackson to have a great 2008 season.

"I'm excited. I got a chance to go out there a little bit, and I watched -- really, I wanted to look at Tarvaris and see where he has come in just the one short year -- and I got a chance to watch some film and sit down with [coach Brad] Childress and really look at him, and talk about him, and evaluate him," said Gannon.

"I think he's made great strides. I think he's a very athletic guy, very gifted, and the big thing for him this year is just consistency."

Gannon, who also played for the Vikings, Redskins and Chiefs, said that Jackson's goal for this season is to stay healthy.

"He's got to play 16 games, he only finished 12 games a year ago, he needs to play 16 games," Gannon said. "He needs to be more efficient and more consistent. And if he can do those two things -- with the running game they have, the offensive line, they've upgraded their receivers, they're going to be better defensively -- there's no reason why that team cannot win the NFC North."

Gannon added: "I say this, and I say this to Brad as well: The reality of the situation is you're competing against the Tom Bradys, the Brett Favres, the Peyton Mannings of the world, and those guys are a very elite group, and you don't get there overnight.

[Jackson] is not quite there, but there's also a group of quarterbacks in the bottom third that maybe shouldn't be starters. I think he's somewhere in the middle and, as I said to him, there's a small box of players that we're talking about that are in that elite group. You need to start gravitating towards that group, and it only comes through hard work, dedication, passion for the game. I think you need to become more vocal, more of a leader on the field and off the field with that football team, and that's hard to do when you're a young player."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go another TJ thread....You guys can all debate on how bad he sucks.

We don't need another thread.

Comment

The Vikings PR machine is in full effect.

The fact that the front office is out here pimping Tarvaris Jackson to the media everyday, and holding press conferences just to tell everyone how much better he's going to be, is proof positive that Jackson sucks and that the coaching staff knows they messed up by not getting any competition at the QB position for the 3rd year in a row.

Objective Vikings fans (objective meaning, not guys like IlliniVike who have an agenda) are ranging anywhere from exasperated to furious with the QB situation of thier team. Right now, just like last year, the Vikings are a Super Bowl caliber team that's stuck with a Div2 QB, with bad mechanics, no decision making skills, average athleticism, and a pathetic 19 Wonderlic score.

BOOTY CALL 2008!
      Last edited by ZN0rseman; 05-15-2008, 05:11 PM.
      sigpic
      WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
      PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
      NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
      Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
      Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
      MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
      PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
      Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
      Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
      ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
      Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
      TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
      InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
      Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
      EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
      EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
      Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
      BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
      Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
        The Vikings PR machine is in full effect.

The fact that the front office is out here pimping Tarvaris Jackson to the media everyday, and holding press conferences just to tell everyone how much better he's going to be, is proof positive that Jackson sucks and that the coaching staff knows they messed up by not getting any competition at the QB position for the 3rd year in a row.

Objective Vikings fans (objective meaning, not guys like IlliniVike who have an agenda) are ranging anywhere from exasperated to furious with the QB situation of thier team. Right now, just like last year, the Vikings are a Super Bowl caliber team that's stuck with a Div2 QB, with bad mechanics, no decision making skills, average athleticism, and a pathetic 19 Wonderlic score.
        BOOTY CALL 2008!

So you take a shot at Jackson for his wonderlic score saying it's pathetic and then in the same post you show support for a guy who scored a 14.

Anyways it's about time to just drop it Illini...

Comment

Originally posted by Vikings_All_Day28 View Post
          [/U]

So you take a shot at Jackson for his wonderlic score saying it's pathetic and then in the same post you show support for a guy who scored a 14.
          Yeah, I know but Booty might just have the "it" factor... and I think (although I hope I'm very wrong) that Jackson just doesn't have it.

I couldn't agree more, but he won't.
          sigpic
          PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
          NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
          Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
          Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
          MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
          PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
          Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
          Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
          ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
          Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
          InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
          EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
          BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
          Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

[/U]

LOL...

Why drop it? It's fun to watch this Norseman guy post the same thing over and over again...

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
              Yeah, I know but Booty might just have the "it" factor... and I think (although I hope I'm very wrong) that Jackson just doesn't have it.

I couldn't agree more, but he won't.

What is this so called "it" factor you see out of JDB? He's white?

Comment

Get that race bull outta here. Nothin I can't stand more than people just assuming other people are racist. That's bush league.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire
                  The "IT" factor is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I'm sorry but IT is.
                  No kidding...What in the hell does it mean?

Comment

Pretty horsey corpse.
                    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                      The former quarterback gushes about the young Vikings signal-caller, but cautions that the third-year player needs to stay healthy and build consistency

<<<later in article>>>

Gannon, who also played for the Vikings, Redskins and Chiefs, said that Jackson's goal for this season is to stay healthy. "He's got to play 16 games, he only finished 12 games a year ago, he needs to play 16 games," Gannon said.
                      Seriously, you've got to be kidding. Is this the same Rich Gannon who took until his 12th year in the league to play a full season?? I don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head. He had like 4 healthy seasons out of 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire
                        The "IT" factor is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I'm sorry but IT is.
                        Come on Matt, you know what I mean by that. Some guys have all of the smarts and athletic ability in the world but they just can't put it together on the field. Surely I don't have to start listing out the players that have been like that do I? Plus, not only does Jackson not have "it" but he doesn't even have any of the rest of the package that those other guys do. At least they had decent mechanics...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                          Get that race bull outta here. Nothin I can't stand more than people just assuming other people are racist. That's bush league.
                          Quoted for truth.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                            What is this so called "it" factor you see out of JDB? He's white?
                            I agree, we should get rid of those people.

Comment

"It"...what the hell is "it"? The more I think about it the more dumb it sounds.

Norseman please explain the definition of "it" for me.

Leadership? Intangibles?

Comment

Working...
                              X