Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Runningbacks

Im tired of talking about QB's

So far my top two backs are Beanie Wells (I compare him to Ronnie Brown) and Knowshon Moreno (Im gna copy matt and compare him to Cadillac Williams, but a little slower)

I wanna hear your guys' reviews on Lesean McCoy and Arian Foster, idk much about them.

Also I think Brennan Southerland the FB From Georgia could have kind of a Jacob Hester role in next years draft.

Foster is a really tough, workhorse back that has more athleticism than given credit for. I have a great respect for his game. Not the gamebreaker that say Marshawn Lynch was, but he is really talented.

McCoy is a player I need more film on, but he seems like a good overall back.

When you consider not many teams need a RB any more, this is an elite RB class for first round talent.

I'm really considered about the depth of the class though. I just think Marlon Lucky, Javon Ringer, Ian Johnson, PJ Hill, not much impresses me.

Keiland Williams and Javarris James are pretty similar players as big backs. I can't stand LSU's multi back system, I think Les Miles is an idiot. I also think Chrales Scott is pretty underrated but he doesn't get enough carries.

As far as Beanie Wells player comparision, you're going to have to wait for my upcoming scouting report on him.
    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 05-16-2008, 05:06 PM.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Keep your eyes peeled for Stafon Johnson from USC.

If he gets the most carries for the Trojans - as expected - then watch out!!

At one point last season, Stafon was averaging more yards per carry than John David Booty was averaging in completions.

Joe McKnight is the Reggie Bush change of pace back, but that won't stop Stafon from having his much-expected breakout season.

Any doubters need only watch the USC/Nebraska game last year from Lincoln.
      sigpic

------------------------------------------------
      Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

- NYTimes, July 20, 2000

Comment

Oh yeah because Nebraska was a good team lol.

You don't need to tell me about Stafon, but he doesn't seem to be very athletic. My eyes are on him this year no doubt, especially if Joe McKnight is inelligible for the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Oh yeah because Nebraska was a good team lol.

You don't need to tell me about Stafon, but he doesn't seem to be very athletic. My eyes are on him this year no doubt, especially if Joe McKnight is inelligible for the fall.
          Granted, NU was a terrible team, but I still stand by my assessment of Stafon.

He has matured 100% since he started at SC. In his frosh year, he got in Pete Carroll's doghouse (like Fred Davis before him), but didn't sulk.

He bounced back to have a tremendous year last year.

No USC RB is going to put up Beanie Wells-type numbers, because our backfield is faar too crowded to allow that.

And I don't think Joe McKnight playing or not will make that much of a difference for Stafon's success.

We have experience making a 2 RB system work very well (LenDale & Reggie).

IMHO - our top 2 are Stafon and Joe (interchangeably), followed by Broderick Green (or possibly Allen Bradford) as our goal line smasher.
          sigpic

------------------------------------------------
          Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

- NYTimes, July 20, 2000

Comment

CJ Gable is terrible, and Stafon has to be the workhorse.

Comment

I played McCoy in high school, and I know it may not mean much but the reason he went to that other school for his first year was because is high school grades where even too terrible by NCAA standards.

Comment

Originally posted by zclauser View Post
                I played McCoy in high school, and I know it may not mean much but the reason he went to that other school for his first year was because is high school grades where even too terrible by NCAA standards.
                Runningback isn't a position you have to be terribly smart at. Cadillac Williams was a great back before he realized his OL was terrible, and he got handed grades at Auburn.

Emmitt Smith anyone?

As long as they can memorize a playbook and understand pass protection schemes, I see no reason why intelligence is a major issue at this position (different from character),

Comment

Runningback isn't a position you have to be terribly smart at. Cadillac Williams was a great back before he realized his OL was terrible, and he got handed grades at Auburn.

Emmitt Smith anyone?

As long as they can memorize a playbook and understand pass protection schemes, I see no reason why intelligence is a major issue at this position (different from character),
                  I think a person's intelligence is usually given as the best estimate of a player's ability to learn an NFL sized playbook. That's why it kinda/sorta matters.
                  - Also known as Dan.
                  - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                    I think a person's intelligence is usually given as the best estimate of a player's ability to learn an NFL sized playbook. That's why it kinda/sorta matters.
                    How many times has a RB reportedly not understood a playbook? Run right, run left, screen left, screen right.

It isn't like he is reading defenses like a QB or has to pick up line calls like an OL.

Comment

How many times has a RB reportedly not understood a playbook? Run right, run left, screen left, screen right.

It isn't like he is reading defenses like a QB or has to pick up line calls like an OL.
                      I know that. It's really awareness that matters at the position. I was just making an observation.
                      - Also known as Dan.
                      - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                        I know that. It's really awareness that matters at the position. I was just making an observation.
                        Oh I agree but awareness and intelligence are polar opposites. Alex Smith is about as intelligent academically as you can get, but he has no feel for the game (at least at this point in his career).

Comment

Oh I agree but awareness and intelligence are polar opposites. Alex Smith is about as intelligent academically as you can get, but he has no feel for the game (at least at this point in his career).
                          Yar.
                          - Also known as Dan.

Comment

Emmitt Smith anyone?

I have to agree here. My 3 positions least requiring intelligence in the NFL are
                            1 - Kicker
                            2 - RB
                            3 - WR

Get ball, run to daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyp View Post
                              I have to agree here. My 3 positions least requiring intelligence in the NFL are
                              1 - Kicker
                              2 - RB
                              3 - WR

Get ball, run to daylight.
                              I would have to replace DT in there for WR since the position is nearly all football instinct, motor, and physical ability.

If kicker is up there, then punter and long snapper deserve mentions as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X