2009 NFL Mock Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 NFL Mock Draft

I'm stealing my order from Matt because I won't even bother predicting the spots everyone will pick.

1. Atlanta Falcons - T Michael Oher, Ole Miss
    If the Falcons are picking number 1, they will likely look to trade down a bit and land Fili Moala. Michael Oher is the pick if they stay but he isn't their best option. Production at wide receiver has been shaky and the Falcons just drafted Sam Baker 21st overall so I would think Michael Crabtree would be the better pick but I think the Falcons believe one of their young receivers will pan out across from Joe Horn so Oher it is.

2. San Francisco 49ers - QB Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
    After this year it should be clear that Alex Smith is a bust. I don't see Shaun Hill producing too well especially without any help around him. The Niners would be wise to take Michael Crabtree here as bringing Cantwell in without any support seems pointless but the pressure to get production at the quarterback position will force this pick. Most people feel that Stafford is the best quarterback in this class but I feel that until one of these quarterbacks proves they are above the others that Cantwell has the most upside and therefore, he is number 1 on my board.

3. Detroit Lions - DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
    The Lions wanted Derrick Harvey this year but he didn't come close to falling to them. Instead they took Gosder Cherilus with their first round pick. Now, waiting a year will pay off as they get to land the best DE prospect in the whole draft. Johnson should be an immediate upgrade on a very poor Detroit defensive line.

4. Miami Dolphins - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
    The Dolphins like Greg Camarillo and Ted Ginn, Jr. but there is no way they pass up Crabtree if he is still on the board here. Crabtree is an absolute stud who will give Beck or Henne a solid weapon to throw to.

5. Chicago Bears - QB Matt Stafford, Georgia
    The Bears will finally be in a position to improve their lackluster quarterback situation. With Stafford still on the board, they will take their franchise quarterback. Their defense is getting old and they could use some help in the secondary but without a quarterback you don't win.

6. Arizona Cardinals - RB Chris Wells, Ohio State
    The Cardinals wanted to improve their running back situation in the draft in 2008 but chose Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie over Rashard Mendenhall. This year they have their pick of Knowshon Moreno or Chris "Beanie" Wells. Wells gets the edge as he is the more physically gifted athlete.

7. St. Louis Rams - DT Fili Moala, USC
    The Rams need an offensive tackle but there really isn't enough value here when they also have a decent need at defensive tackle. Fili Moala should be the pick here unless the Rams transition to a 3-4. In that case they could reach for a tackle or take James Laurinaitis.

8. New York Jets - RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
    The Jets wanted Darren McFadden in the first round in 2008. In 2009 Knowshon Moreno will fall right into their hands and give them a back to tandem with Thomas Jones.

9. Kansas City Chiefs - QB Tim Tebow, Florida
    Brodie Croyle is not going to pan out for the Chiefs. That will leave them vulnerable at the most important position in the game. If Tebow falls into their lap, there is no way they won't take him.

10. Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina) - S Taylor Mays, USC
    The Eagles will need a replacement for Brian Dawkins and Taylor Mays is the best in this draft. His physical skills should be enough to put him over the top for the Eagles.

11. Denver Broncos - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
    George Selvie will work out better in a 3-4 scheme so Jackson will be the pick over Selvie. Jackson will give a major boost to a Denver defensive line without enough star power to create constant pressure.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - DT Sen'Derricks Marks, Auburn
    The Bengals will take the best DL on the board as their defensive line needs serious help. Marks will start immediately and provide an upgrade to a very iffy line.

13. Oakland Raiders - WR Percy Harvin, Florida
    Al Davis likes skill position players with great speed who blow you away. Well, guess what. Percy Harvin is all that and more. Harvin has the ability to take over a game and will provide JaMarcus Russell a very solid target for a long time.

14. Tennessee Titans - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
    The Titans FINALLY get a talented weapon for Vince Young after they realize they can't keep sneaking into the playoffs by drafting running backs and forcing Young to run for his life. Heyward-Bey has some question marks but that shouldn't matter to a team that passed on a wide receiver when they had their pick from the whole class.

15. Washington Redskins - CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
    The Redskins need to get younger in the secondary and Carlos Rogers has been injured often. Malcolm Jenkins should allow the Redskins to move forward when Shawn Springs retires and Carlos Rogers' legs fall off.

16. Houston Texans - CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
    The Texans would have loved to have landed a top corner in this last draft. But they all disappeared right before they could pick. Davis should start immediately in a very weak secondary.

17. New Orleans Saints - ILB James Laurinaitis
    If the Saints think Dan Morgan will solve their linebacker problems they need to put down the crack pipe now. James Laurinaitis will start in his rookie year due to an injury to said Dan Morgan.

18. Seattle Seahawks - G Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
    The Seahawks never really found a good replacement for Steve Hutchinson. Robinson should be the replacement they have needed for a while.

19. Baltimore Ravens - T Ciron Black, LSU
    The Ravens will need to replace Jonathan Ogden very soon and Ciron Black should be that replacement.

20. Philadelphia Eagles - T Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
    Everyone needs a drinking buddy now and again except Andy Reid. He needs an eating buddy. It just so happens he also needs an offensive tackle and Phil Loadholt is the epitome of the huge offensive lineman that Andy Reid loves.

21. Buffalo Bills - DE George Selvie, South Florida
    The Bills defensive line could use a little help and Selvie is a much better 3-4 rush linebacker than defensive end. But the Bills won't be able to pass him up at 21 overall if he falls that far. Even though in my own mock he falls this far, I can't imagine this would actually happen in the draft.

22. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
    Bradford benefited from a great offensive line and solid receivers in school so a lot of questions remain. However, Tampa Bay needs a successor to Jeff Garcia and Bradford is the best left on the board.

23. Jacksonville Jaguars - ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
    The Jaguars would be absolutely stoked to see Maualuga fall to them at 23rd overall. Like the Selvie pick I can't imagine he will fall this far come spring '09 but this is where he is right now.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers - T Andre Smith, Alabama
    The Steelers need offensive linemen and Smith is the best left on the board.

25. Minnesota Vikings - QB Cullen Harper, Clemson
    If the Vikings pick this late, then Tarvaris Jackson would have worked out and they won't take a QB. However, I don't see that happening so Cullen Harper out of Clemson will be the pick here. Harper should be an upgrade over the abysmal Jackson.

26. Cleveland Browns - CB D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt
    The Browns biggest need is at cornerback and D.J. Moore will provide solid play for them.

27. New England Patriots - T Alex Boone, Ohio State
    This team never seems to have major needs but their offensive line could use some help so Boone will be the choice.

28. Indianapolis Colts - WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
    The Colts need to make their wide receiver corps younger. Maclin is a solid receiver who can't really replace Harrison but no one in this class really can.

29. Green Bay Packers - S William Moore, Missouri
    The Packers need to improve their secondary. Moore is a great value at #29 anyway so he will definitely be the pick if he falls this far.

30. Dallas Cowboys - WR Brandon LaFell, LSU
    Dallas has to get younger at wide receiver. Terry Glenn should retire at the end of this year and Terrell Owens is at the age where at any point his play could drop off significantly.

31. New York Giants - DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
    This isn't the Giants' biggest need but with Strahan retiring by the beginning of the 2009 campaign and with Hardy's value here the Giants will make him the pick.

32. San Diego Chargers - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
    The Chargers need a solid backup for Tomlinson so Spiller should get the edge here.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Overall, very solid. The only thing I see is that I don't think Denver will pick another DE since they have used a lot of picks on that position in 2006 and 2007. With Marks still available, they could go with Marks, a middle linebacker or a safety.
    The quarterbacks could be like the wide receivers from 2008, in which there is no dominant #1. They all have their flaws. Cantwell's flaw is his lack of experience.
    http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=11146567

Comment

-Hunter Cantwell and Tim Tebow, oh wow!
      -They actually have a good receiver in Roddy White and Laurent Robinson quietly had a great rookie season.
      -I don't get why the Rams are taking a 3-technique with Adam Carriker.
      -Broncos have drafted Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and super stud Elvis Dumervil at DE. Methinks they are alright.
      -Tennesse would draft either Maualuga or Laurinaitis in that situation.
      -Houston is alright at CB.
      -New Orleans has Vilma in the middle.
      -I don't understand Baltimore being so high and yet having to draft a LT when that position probably means that Gaither panned out. (Sounds like he will).
      -George Selvie lacks the size to play the LE position.
      Last edited by PuppyPuncher; 05-19-2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Like the Bills pick

Comment

- If the 49'ers are picking 2nd, they're not going to take a QB. I know they'll need one, but they recently got burned when taking a highly ranked QB (Alex Smith). Hunter Cantwell still won't be the pick. Having only one season of experience will scare the crap out of teams.
          - Stafford is #50 on my board. I can't see him going #5. And the Bears and the Ravens are two teams that know very well that a QB is not necessary to win.
          - Fili Moala makes no sense at #7. He's not talented enough, nor do the Rams need help at DT right now. Call me crazy, but Moala is not going to be as good as Glenn Dorsey.
          - Broncos have spent enough recent draft picks on DE's. I don't think Tyson Jackson is a great value pick there (#14 on my board), so I don't see them taking him.
          - Titans will never draft a WR that early. Ever. Won't happen.
          - Texans did snag Antwuan Molden in round 3. He could be a stud CB. Dunta Robinson, Antwuan Molden, and Jacques Reeves isn't a bad CB trio.
          - Saints have Vilma to play MLB. Morgan is playing WLB.
          - Ravens won't need a LT at #19. Like Puppy said, that's a good sign that Gaither was at least adequate. They'll give him at least another season to learn the position.
          - Nick Collins and Atari Bigby is a pretty solid safety tandem for the Packers. I don't think they'll take a safety very early, if at all.
          - I know the Giants love DE's, but if Strahan retires, Tuck can move outside to play a true DE Role (instead of the pass rushing DT he generally was), and they can always move Kiwanuka into the trenches.
          - Also known as Dan.
          - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

1. Atlanta Falcons - T Michael Oher, Ole Miss
            If the Falcons are picking number 1, they will likely look to trade down a bit and land Fili Moala. Michael Oher is the pick if they stay but he isn't their best option. Production at wide receiver has been shaky and the Falcons just drafted Sam Baker 21st overall so I would think Michael Crabtree would be the better pick but I think the Falcons believe one of their young receivers will pan out across from Joe Horn so Oher it is.
            great pick. but the part about the WR's makes no sense. Horn is our #5 or even #6 WR. Crabtree will nto be the pick. Roddy White had 1200 yards last year and proved to be our #1 unquestioned. you don't take a #2 WR at #1 overall. we have no need for a WR to begine with though with Roddy, Robinson, Douglas and Jenkins as our top 4.

Founder of ScarDraft
            Writer for Drafttek

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
              -Hunter Cantwell and Tim Tebow, oh wow!
              -They actually have a good receiver in Roddy White and Laurent Robinson quietly had a great rookie season.
              -I don't get why the Rams are taking a 3-technique with Adam Carriker.
              -Broncos have drafted Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and super stud Elvis Dumervil at DE. Methinks they are alright.
              -Tennesse would draft either Maualuga or Laurinaitis in that situation.
              -Houston is alright at CB.
              -New Orleans has Vilma in the middle.
              -I don't understand Baltimore being so high and yet having to draft a LT when that position probably means that Gaither panned out. (Sounds like he will).
              -George Selvie lacks the size to play the LE position.
              I won't bother getting into the Cantwell debate especially with you since you are active enough on this forum to know my arguments for him.

Roddy White and Laurent Robinson are decent at best but it's a moot point since I have them taking Oher.

Obviously I have the Rams taking Moala because I don't think Carriker is going to pan out.

I'm not sure about Moss or Crowder but Dumervil is definitely a stud. Fact is though that Denver still needs the DL help and I don't think Moss or Crowder will show enough to keep Denver from drafting that help. Marks is definitely a possibility as well though.

I refuse to believe that Tennessee will not draft a receiver at some point to help Vince Young but you are probably right.

With Dunta Robinson injury prone, the Texans don't really have any solidarity at the position and they definitely need to shore it up.

I thought the Saints were moving Vilma outside not Morgan so that is probably a bum pick.

Baltimore needs to ensure that they can keep Flacco protected during the most vulnerable part of his career so even if Gaither did pan out they should still take an offensive lineman.

Selvie is a value pick at that spot who could pan out for Buffalo on pure skill alone.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                - If the 49'ers are picking 2nd, they're not going to take a QB. I know they'll need one, but they recently got burned when taking a highly ranked QB (Alex Smith). Hunter Cantwell still won't be the pick. Having only one season of experience will scare the crap out of teams.
                - Stafford is #50 on my board. I can't see him going #5. And the Bears and the Ravens are two teams that know very well that a QB is not necessary to win.
                - Fili Moala makes no sense at #7. He's not talented enough, nor do the Rams need help at DT right now. Call me crazy, but Moala is not going to be as good as Glenn Dorsey.
                - Broncos have spent enough recent draft picks on DE's. I don't think Tyson Jackson is a great value pick there (#14 on my board), so I don't see them taking him.
                - Titans will never draft a WR that early. Ever. Won't happen.
                - Texans did snag Antwuan Molden in round 3. He could be a stud CB. Dunta Robinson, Antwuan Molden, and Jacques Reeves isn't a bad CB trio.
                - Saints have Vilma to play MLB. Morgan is playing WLB.
                - Ravens won't need a LT at #19. Like Puppy said, that's a good sign that Gaither was at least adequate. They'll give him at least another season to learn the position.
                - Nick Collins and Atari Bigby is a pretty solid safety tandem for the Packers. I don't think they'll take a safety very early, if at all.
                - I know the Giants love DE's, but if Strahan retires, Tuck can move outside to play a true DE Role (instead of the pass rushing DT he generally was), and they can always move Kiwanuka into the trenches.
                I'll address what I didn't address in my last post. I see a lot of quarterbacks going in round 1 in 2009. The Bears certainly know what it's like to win without a good quarterback but that's no reason to keep letting Grossman keep them from actually winning a Super Bowl title. They would have beaten the Colts with a good QB behind center. I have my questions about Stafford too but for now, he's my #2 QB.

Atari Bigby is a lot like Roy Williams. Looks good but isn't.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
                  I'll address what I didn't address in my last post. I see a lot of quarterbacks going in round 1 in 2009. The Bears certainly know what it's like to win without a good quarterback but that's no reason to keep letting Grossman keep them from actually winning a Super Bowl title. They would have beaten the Colts with a good QB behind center. I have my questions about Stafford too but for now, he's my #2 QB.

Atari Bigby is a lot like Roy Williams. Looks good but isn't.
                  Atari Bigby made Seattle's playoff experience a nightmare almost by himself. He's an exceptionally hard hitter who came into the season with question marks, but left proving most doubters wrong. I'd take him over Roy Williams ten times out of ten.
                  - Also known as Dan.
                  - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Cantwell will never be the 2nd pick in the draft...I can assure you of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                      Atari Bigby made Seattle's playoff experience a nightmare almost by himself. He's an exceptionally hard hitter who came into the season with question marks, but left proving most doubters wrong. I'd take him over Roy Williams ten times out of ten.
                      Just like Roy Williams. Thing is Seattle doesn't run the kind of offense that really challenges his coverage skills which are quite suspect. Note that Roy Williams has had big games against Seattle too.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                        Cantwell will never be the 2nd pick in the draft...I can assure you of that.
                        Probably true. I have acknowledged that there is a very good chance he won't be the top QB on my board when we get into next January.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Texans also have Fred Bennet, who played very well for them last year.

A better pick might actually be Alex Mack from California. Chris Chester, who I like is still kind of a question mark.

Comment

I thought Chris Chester was a guard?

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
                              I thought Chris Chester was a guard?
                              It's very confusing for me right now as to what our line will look like, but he was drafted as a center and it sounds like his first team snaps are at center.

Comment

Working...
                              X