Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angelo Carriero's Top 10 Impact Rookies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
    I think the McFadden-Bush comparison is pretty accurate. Both have blazing speed and played in a two back system in a fairly competitive conference (SEC > Pac 10, but Pac 10 isn't bad.).

    Bush definitely catches better out of the backfield, but I don't see McFadden being the game changing influence that Adrian Peterson was.
    I think in the long run, Darren McFadden will have a more successful career in the NFL than Adrian Peterson. I know you guys are gonna call me crazy but hear me out.

    1.) Peterson is injury prone. When healthy he could do special things behind that offensive line, but he is ALWAYS getting injured.
    2.) Teams will begin to focus on Adrian Peterson. Now I know they already started to last year, but with an entire off season to devise ways of stopping this guy, I think teams will start to be able slow him down. Consider the fact that they have no passing attack. Teams will easily be able to focus on him. Not to mention the lack of a passing attack will lead to him getting a lot more carries, which he is not durable enough to handle.

    As far as McFadden goes.

    1.) He dominated in the SEC folks. Those are the best defenses in the country by far. He tore up LSU, had a staggering 40 time and is just an all around great talent. He is a more powerful runner than Reggie Bush is and will no doubt be able to be a featured back in this league.
    2.) The future looks bright in Oakland. I may be alone in thinking this but the Raiders could be looking at some real good years down the road. They have a potential Pro Bowl quarterback, Javon Walker, and an up and coming defense. If some questions are answered on that offensive line, this team has every chance to be successful a couple years down the road. And with an explosive offense McFadden could find his fair share of success.
    "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
    -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
      Ok, looky here. He is an elite talent. He dominated football in the SEC. Look at his flaws and only his flaws, you will be negative. Look at only his strengths and you will be misguided. He has elite athleticism and speed but he does not consistently hit the hole hard. He needs to drive with his legs and learn when and when not to use his speed over his power. I started liking Jonathan Stewart as my #1 the later and later as the process went on.

      Overall, he will be the feature back at some point next year, if not early. You don't draft a guy #4 not to be featured.
      No one is debating his role with Oakland. We are debating if his talented warratned a #4 pick aka Reggie bush. You don't draft a RB in the top 5 unless he can be a true workhorse back and a complete back.

      Reggie Bush was an elite talent. Reggie Bush has been a bust so far.

      The prototype HAD to change or at least be recognized.

      McFadden can't run through tackles (vs. Tennessee) and he has chicken legs. Having strong legs is important so you don't go dead on contact, as Mayock pointed out.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

      Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
        As far as McFadden goes.

        1.) He dominated in the SEC folks. Those are the best defenses in the country by far. He tore up LSU, had a staggering 40 time and is just an all around great talent. He is a more powerful runner than Reggie Bush is and will no doubt be able to be a featured back in this league.
        2.) The future looks bright in Oakland. I may be alone in thinking this but the Raiders could be looking at some real good years down the road. They have a potential Pro Bowl quarterback, Javon Walker, and an up and coming defense. If some questions are answered on that offensive line, this team has every chance to be successful a couple years down the road. And with an explosive offense McFadden could find his fair share of success.
        1) Are you trying to say if Adrian Peterson wasn't in hte SEC he wouldn't have dominated? That's ridiculous.

        2) Gotta love that OL and a 300 pound quarterback. Not to mention the ridiculous contracts thrown around. The future is not bright in Oakland...better next season? Yeah I think thye might win 7-8 games. But for the long haul this team is ****ed.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

        Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by fivas14 View Post
          So you have to be an artist to write a draft guide?
          No but if you want to stand out you need to be different.

          IF you want to be different but be considered really good, then your perspectives need to be logically based and objective.
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

          Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
            Mr. McGuire

            Darren McFadden is not Reggie Bush. Period. He is an elite talent not unlike Bush, but he is a different player. I would think an "expert" like you would notice talent like that.

            You like to bash on people I have noticed. Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, and now this new Angelo guy. I do not understand it. You say he is not creative. How creative can someone be without looking like an idiot? He has Steve Slaton in his top 10 impact rookies, I think that is pretty ballsy. Here's the thing, you are not on TV, McShay and Kiper are, so I get the feeling you are a bit jealous. These guys have access to all the tapes and dedicate their career to the draft. You go to UK. See the difference? I tend to think they are slightly more credible sources no matter what you say. That isn't to say I do not respect your opinion, you have some fresh views and I trust your judge of talent. But please give this new writer a chance. He is just like you looking to get somewhere doing something he loves, writing about football. He clearly has some potential so quit being so harsh. If he wasn't good I would agree with you that he should not write for this site, but he is pretty good. He could use some work, but who couldn't. Instead of bashing the guy, why not give him a chance, or help him out maybe instead off just being a jerk about it.

            I leave you with this. No analyst is perfect, few are even close. So I do not know what makes you think you are so much better than everyone else. Your ignorance is not appreciated.

            A+ post

            Comment


            • #51
              Hm. Well in Carriero's first article Slaton was #25. This article is bull**** because he revised it because I called it bul****.

              I would never bash the godfather of the Draft that is Kiper.


              Darren McFadden is not Reggie Bush. Period. He is an elite talent not unlike Bush, but he is a different player. I would think an "expert" like you would notice talent like that.


              Darren McFadden is only considered elite by you because he hasn't failed yet and is new on the scene. Bush was an even more hyped player than McFadden, and the similarities are scary.

              Elite runningbacks are great running between the tackles and can break tackles consistently. McFadden can't do this. Therefore, he in my opinion is not an elite back. Two of the most well respect football analysts in Mike Mayock and Brian Baldinger support this notion. Hmm, I guess these guys aren't "experts".
              Last edited by Matt McGuire; 05-23-2008, 07:01 PM.
              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

              Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                1) Are you trying to say if Adrian Peterson wasn't in hte SEC he wouldn't have dominated? That's ridiculous.

                2) Gotta love that OL and a 300 pound quarterback. Not to mention the ridiculous contracts thrown around. The future is not bright in Oakland...better next season? Yeah I think thye might win 7-8 games. But for the long haul this team is ****ed.
                1.)He wasn't in the SEC. If he was he still would have been a great running back. He is a great running back but injuries will get the better of him.

                2.)I said they needed to straighten out the OL. Russell is 265 and never was 300 pounds, that was a rumor so you might want to get your facts straight on that one. I think they have a bright future considering the potentially explosive offense they have assembled.
                "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  Hm. Well in Carriero's first article Slaton was #25. This article is bull**** because he revised it because I called it bul****.

                  I would never bash the godfather of the Draft that is Kiper.


                  Darren McFadden is not Reggie Bush. Period. He is an elite talent not unlike Bush, but he is a different player. I would think an "expert" like you would notice talent like that.


                  Darren McFadden is only considered elite by you because he hasn't failed yet and is new on the scene. Bush was an even more hyped player than McFadden, and the similarities are scary.

                  Elite runningbacks are great running between the tackles and can break tackles consistently. McFadden can't do this. Therefore, he in my opinion is not an elite back. Two of the most well respect football analysts in Mike Mayock and Brian Baldinger support this notion. Hmm, I guess these guys aren't "experts".
                  He is an elite back in my eyes because of the dominance he displayed throughout his college career.
                  "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                  -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
                    He is an elite back in my eyes because of the dominance he displayed throughout his college career.
                    Like Reggie Bush? I made that mistake and won't make it again (even though I said Mario was the right pick at #1).

                    Dominance isn't enough. Your game has to translate well to the NFL.
                    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                    Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      Like Reggie Bush? I made that mistake and won't make it again (even though I said Mario was the right pick at #1).

                      Dominance isn't enough. Your game has to translate well to the NFL.
                      He is not the same player Reggie Bush is. McFadden would not have accumulated those numbers if he couldn't break tackles. He played in the SEC. If you can not break tackles in the SEC you do not succeed, never mind dominate like McFadden did.
                      "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                      -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
                        1.)He wasn't in the SEC. If he was he still would have been a great running back. He is a great running back but injuries will get the better of him.

                        2.)I said they needed to straighten out the OL. Russell is 265 and never was 300 pounds, that was a rumor so you might want to get your facts straight on that one. I think they have a bright future considering the potentially explosive offense they have assembled.
                        1) Then you point of him not being in the SEC is totally irrelevant "if he still would have been a great running back."

                        Injuries may get the better of him, maybe not. We don't know, but it certainly made him a somewhat risky prospect and it dropped him down to #7 in the draft, along with the lack of the demand for the RB position and it's value in the NFL compared to QB, T, and DE (Russell, Thomas, Adams, Brown, Landry over Peterson because of Portis aka "lack of demand").

                        2) Look, every team in the NFL has a "bright future" if we are all being honest. It is why when you try to predict teams next year, it is much harder to predict the teams that will have high draft picks in 2009.

                        The reason why Brady Quinn was my #1 QB in 2007 was because I knew his love for the game and intelligence was there. I questioned how much of a leader Russell was. Every elite QB is an elite leader. I didn't see that from Russell . There were concerns about his weight in college and there are concerns about his weight now.

                        He should have been doing everything in his power to be in peak physical condition. At least I thought that is what you are supposed to do when you sign that big of a contract.

                        Jamarcus Russell is the most physically talented player in football. But when you get down to it, it all comes down to how tough are you mentally. He has so much to prove and there are a lot of questions around him (OL, WRs, and what spots will the defense put him in?)

                        I mean if it was all about talent, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, and Tim Couch would have been elite QBs in the NFL, but they didn't have the poise, maturity, or leadership to get the job done.
                        Last edited by Matt McGuire; 05-23-2008, 07:21 PM.
                        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                        Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                          1) Then you point of him not being in the SEC is totally irrelevant "if he still would have been a great running back."

                          Injuries may get the better of him, maybe not. We don't know, but it certainly made him a somewhat risky prospect and it dropped him down to #7 in the draft, along with the lack of the demand for the RB position and it's value in the NFL compared to QB, T, and DE (Russell, Thomas, Adams, Brown, Landry over Peterson because of Portis aka "lack of demand").
                          I never said anything about Peterson's not being in the SEC as why I think McFadden will be better. Here is the thing I know Adrian Peterson can get it done in the NFL so what he did in college no longer concerns me. I point to McFadden playing against elite competition in the SEC as a reason to believe he will have some success in the NFL.

                          Injuries have been a problem with Adrian Peterson since his freshman year in college. His running style makes him very prone to injury, not something you want in a running back.
                          "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                          -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            First off, major props to Ryan Leaf. You are the s***. He's right. I love writing about football. I think I deserve a chance. So thanks for backing me up.

                            And Matt. You can call my 2nd article BS all you want until your jaw snaps off. You sound like such an idiot. You're trying to burry me 6 feet deep. Well guess what? I don't give a S***. Say what you want and I'll let it slide off my back and keep on rolling. You could help me out for a change.

                            I used to respect you Mr. McGuire, looked up to you even because you made it from Kentucky like I am. But forget that. I'll be better then you. Wait and see.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                              First off, major props to Ryan Leaf. You are the s***. He's right. I love writing about football. I think I deserve a chance. So thanks for backing me up.

                              And Matt. You can call my 2nd article BS all you want until your jaw snaps off. You sound like such an idiot. You're trying to burry me 6 feet deep. Well guess what? I don't give a S***. Say what you want and I'll let it slide off my back and keep on rolling. You could help me out for a change.

                              I used to respect you Mr. McGuire, looked up to you even because you made it from Kentucky like I am. But forget that. I'll be better then you. Wait and see.
                              Atta boy. But personally I think you should set your sights a little higher than being better than him, cause you aren't too far off already.
                              "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                              -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                                1) Then you point of him not being in the SEC is totally irrelevant "if he still would have been a great running back."

                                Injuries may get the better of him, maybe not. We don't know, but it certainly made him a somewhat risky prospect and it dropped him down to #7 in the draft, along with the lack of the demand for the RB position and it's value in the NFL compared to QB, T, and DE (Russell, Thomas, Adams, Brown, Landry over Peterson because of Portis aka "lack of demand").

                                2) Look, every team in the NFL has a "bright future" if we are all being honest. It is why when you try to predict teams next year, it is much harder to predict the teams that will have high draft picks in 2009.

                                The reason why Brady Quinn was my #1 QB in 2007 was because I knew his love for the game and intelligence was there. I questioned how much of a leader Russell was. Every elite QB is an elite leader. I didn't see that from Russell . There were concerns about his weight in college and there are concerns about his weight now.

                                He should have been doing everything in his power to be in peak physical condition. At least I thought that is what you are supposed to do when you sign that big of a contract.

                                Jamarcus Russell is the most physically talented player in football. But when you get down to it, it all comes down to how tough are you mentally. He has so much to prove and there are a lot of questions around him (OL, WRs, and what spots will the defense put him in?)

                                I mean if it was all about talent, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, and Tim Couch would have been elite QBs in the NFL, but they didn't have the poise, maturity, or leadership to get the job done.
                                All reports that I have been reading have said Russell is working hard to establish himself as the leader of this football team. He has been in there trying to make up for missed time last year. He denies all reports that he was even close to 300 pounds. He is in good shape and ready to lead this offense. By bright future I mean that they will be in the playoffs sooner rather than later.
                                "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                                -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X