Angelo Carriero's Top 10 Impact Rookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
    I never said anything about Peterson's not being in the SEC as why I think McFadden will be better. Here is the thing I know Adrian Peterson can get it done in the NFL so what he did in college no longer concerns me. I point to McFadden playing against elite competition in the SEC as a reason to believe he will have some success in the NFL.

Injuries have been a problem with Adrian Peterson since his freshman year in college. His running style makes him very prone to injury, not something you want in a running back.
    I hate this analysis and I will tell you why.

When my Knowshon Moreno scouting report is released, I will tell how I love his physical running style.

I won't say it is a weaknesses because it makes him prone to injury. You either want him to run with that style or not. It can't be both in a report, aka contradictory.

Peterson runs the way a runningback is supposed to run. I'd rather have that than a total softee like Reggie Bush.

So now every SEC runningback is a lock to be a great pro? Felix Jones had a higher YPC, so why isn't he elite? Same conference, and you can argue better production.

A few games really concerned me when I watched McFadden: Auburn and Tennessee. I saw him hesitate to run between the tackles and he would usually go down after the first hit.

Look, I'm a huge SEC supporter, but you have to have the entire skill set to be labeled elite, not just the conference you play in.

If Reggie Bush was in the SEc, he would have dominated, and still would have been the same player he was today. Being in the Pac 10 had nothing to do with it.

Plus, ball security is a huge issue with McFadden. 22 fumbles in his 3 year career.

He isn't elite. He doesn't have the lower body strength to be considered an elite prospect, because he isn't the prototype.

Calvin Johnson = Prototype
    Joe Thomas = Prototype
    Jamarcus Russell = Prototype
    Mario Williams = Prototype
    Adrian Peterson = Prototype

I can't put McFadden in that convo, because physically he has huge issues with his scrawny legs. The legs help you break tackles and power for extra yards. That's a huge concern.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

As for the A.P. vs. McFadden vs. Bush debate, break it down.

Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma/Minnesota Vikings (#2 on my board in 2007)- Elite, no question. Complete, no question. Darren McFadden nor Reggie Bush will touch his jock if they were standing on top of one another. He is a powerback with legit speed. I thought he was better than Bush because he was complete and better than McFadden because he is simply a better overall football player.

2. Reggie Bush, RB, USC/New Orleans Saints (#1 overall in 2006 on my board): Probably the best prospect ever except for maybe Calvin (and everybody thought that so don't try to play it off cough*MATT!*cough). His speed and playmaking ability was amazing. He had 88 rookie catches and had a down year last year while getting injured. I haven't written him off yet because every GOOD draft analysts know it takes sometimes an entire career to evaluate a player (Priest Holmes). Give him time but his inside game scares the crap out of me because I don't think he has one.

3. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas/Oakland Raiders: He hasn't played so we don't know but to point out a point not yet made: D-Mac is made for their Zone Blocking Scheme. He looks for a hole, makes one cut, and he is gone. Did you forget about that Matt? He is tailor fit for this scheme. Too bad nobody is there to block for him.

Comment

What are you talking about? I have admitted many times I thought Reggie Bush was elite and have never backed down off that. I admitted I was wrong, but so was 99.99% of people.

McFadden is an elite gamebreaking threat. He has elite speed and is a terror in the open field. But it takes more than that to be an elite RB in the NFL. You aren't going to run away from everyone.

You have to run between the tackles proficiently to be considered a "versatile back."

IF all you can do is bounce it outside and catch passes, then your game is pretty predictable to opposing defenses. That is why Reggie Bush has struggled so much.

I learned from this mistake and won't make it again. Others on the other hand seem to think differently and act like they forgot the past.

Reggie Bush is in my rear view window, and he is telling me that Darren McFadden isn't an elite back.
        Last edited by Matt McGuire; 05-23-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

OK it is not his physical running style that makes him prone to injury it is how upright he runs, LT runs pretty physically and he hasn't had trouble with injuries. Cadilac Williams on the other hand ran physically but also upright and is now likely out of football all together. See the difference.

DraftKidWonder, I get what you are saying about Bush not having an inside game but you are smart not to write him off. Think of all the other ways he can be involved in the offense. He can still make a HUGE impact without running inside. His 88 catches rookie year that you mentioned are evidence of that.

And Matt, sure McFadden has some negatives, ball control being the main one, but I still see too much upside and talent to not think he will light up the score board throughout his career. I remember saying to a friend of mine mid way through the season, and I will say it again now Darren McFadden will go down as the greatest running back of all time. I know it is early to make such a conclusion, and it may seem crazy, but I am going out on a limb. I have a really good feeling about McFadden. I just think he is going to be something special.
          "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
          -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

Comment

Cadillac Williams has gotten injured, but his physical running style didn't have much to do with his injuries.

Injured ankle and arch in his foot in rookie year...not a cause of running style.

Torn patellar tendon due to freak injury...not a cuase of running style.

Sometimes you just get unlucky, and Cadillac has been just that.

Peterson's broken collarbone didn't have anything to do with his running style. He fell on himself in the end zone.

Best RB of all-time? If that's not going out on a limb then I don't know what it is...but seems very far fetched.

Comment

When a running back runs as ferociously as Cadilac or AP they get injured. AP is injury prone, and there is no denying that. Sure McFadden as the best of all time is a bit far fetched but I haven't seen anything like the way that guy plays, he is unique, and uniqueness is something that translates to potentially greatness, or potential bust. Either way he has a high ceiling.
              "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
              -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

Comment

Leaf, you have failed to recognize that Caddy's injuries don't have anything to do with his running style.

Comment

Back on topic, I would not start a RB in the NFL who cannot take a big hit. (Steve Slaton)

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                    Back on topic, I would not start a RB in the NFL who cannot take a big hit. (Steve Slaton)
                    Agreed. That is why I see McFadden as a very very good compliment RB but not one who should shoulder the load in the NFL. 12-15 touches a game sounds about right.
                    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                      I think we would have said the same thing about Clinton Portis or Willie Parker coming out of college too though. Slaton's vision and cutting ability makes him a great fit in the ZBS.

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                        Ok, looky here. He is an elite talent. He dominated football in the SEC. Look at his flaws and only his flaws, you will be negative. Look at only his strengths and you will be misguided. He has elite athleticism and speed but he does not consistently hit the hole hard. He needs to drive with his legs and learn when and when not to use his speed over his power. I started liking Jonathan Stewart as my #1 the later and later as the process went on.

Overall, he will be the feature back at some point next year, if not early. You don't draft a guy #4 not to be featured.
                        It has nothing to do with how good he did in the SEC….it doesn’t matter what conference you come from it’s still the NCAA……and not the NFL. His best attribute is his speed, but he is lacking with the other attributes. I don’t think he will be a bust, but if your banking on him having the same success as Peterson
                        Then I think you will be disappointed.
                        Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                          Plus, ball security is a huge issue with McFadden. 22 fumbles in his 3 year career.

You know that many of those fumbles came while playing QB , or returning Punts and Kicks right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            Mario Williams = Prototype
                            no he wasn't

Comment

Originally posted by xooberon View Post
                              no he wasn't
                              You're joking, right?

Comment

He was a great prospect, but that doesn't always translate to NFL success.

Comment

Working...
                                X