Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2009 NFL Mock Draft

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My 2009 NFL Mock Draft

    I have compiled an early 2009 Mock Draft, let me know what you think.

    1.) Atlanta Falcons- Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech- This kid put up mind boggling numbers at Texas Tech last year and while it can be argued that he is a product of the system, when I watch this guy I see an elite talent. The Falcons moved up to take Sam Baker in round one so I do not see them taking Michael Oher.

    2.) Miami Dolphins- James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State- The Dolphins adressed the QB and LT positions in this years draft so those two positions are out of the question. With the loss of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor aging and possibly on the outs this defense will struggle next season. Enter Laurinaitis a very productive and instinctive LB with an incredible motor. He will give this defense and instant impact player.

    3.) San Fransisco 49ers- Matt Stafford QB Georgia- Alex Smith is a bust. Hopefully the 49ers will realize that this year and select a QB next April. Stafford is considered the best pro style quarterback prospect since Carson Palmer by some scouts. He has a rifle arm comparable to Jemarcus Russell, and he has good size (6,3 230). Stafford will be the franchise QB the niners have been looking for.

    4.) Chicago Bears- Michael Oher OT Ole Miss- Grossman is not the answer at QB but with Stafford off the board they address the aging offensive lines. Oher is drawing comparisons to Orlando Pace, I think that maybe be a little over the top, but he still has incredible talent and will upgrade this O Line instantly.

    5.) Baltimore Ravens- Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State- I see the Ravens struggling this year. Kyle Boller will be bench early on and the Ravens will struggle with a rookie QB. The Ravens need a WR to help Flacco in the passing game but there are none worth selecting here, so they address an aging secondary. They traded for Fabian Washington which I think is a good move but Chris McAllister and Samari Rolle are getting old, plus Jenkins is the best player on the board at this point.

    6.) Kansas City Chiefs- Andre Smith OT Alabama- Everyone seems to have the Chiefs taking a quarterback here, but I have faith in Brodie Croyle. That offensive line is not what it used to be and Andre Smith is a reliable and talented tackle that could help right away.

    7.) Oakland Raiders- Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech- he top DE in this class falls to the Raiders at 7. The Raiders don't have anyone outside of Derrick Burgess that can pressure the QB. Michael Johnson can help fix that. Don't be surprised if Al Davis considers Derius Heyward-Bey the WR from Maryland strictly based on his 40 time.

    8.) St Louis Rams- Rey Maualuga LB USC- The Rams will struggle again this year because of the defense. Rey Maualuga should be a top ten selection next April will a solid performance this season and fits a need for the Rams here.

    9.) Buffalo Bills- George Selvie DE USF- Selvie had a very productive 2007 campaign and if he duplicates it could find himself in the top ten. The Bills pass rush could struggle this year as they have had some injuries across from Aaron Schobel. The unit only recorded 26 sacks last season anyways and is in need of an upgrade.

    10.) Cincinnati Bengals- Chris "Beanie" Wells RB Ohio State- The Bengals get lucky as Wells falls to them at number 10. Wells possesses a rare combination or size speed and power. He has a second gear that you usually do not see in a running back with that size.

    11.) New York Jets- Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia- Georgia will lean on this kid in 2008. He is in the Cadilac Williams mold but I think he is more talented. The Jets miss out on Wells but don't suffer to badly as they land a talented back to eventually replace the aging Thomas Jones.

    12.) Detroit Lions- Al Woods DT LSU- The Lions have a need at DE but all the top prospects at that position are off the board. With the departure of Shaun Rogers the Lions are going to need to find a more capable replacement than Andre Fluellen to fill that void. Al Woods is my top DT for now. I like what I saw out of him in limited action last season.

    13.) Denver Broncos-Brian Cushing LB USC- The Broncos need help at LB and this kid is versatille enough to play multiple positions and make an instant impact on this defense.

    14.) Philadelphia Eagles from Carolina- Myron Rolle S Florida State- I have Rolle as the top safety on my board and safety is a position of need for the Eagle with Dawkins aging. The Eagles could also use some offensive line help but they have another first round selection to address that need and get better value.

    15.) Arizona Cardinals- Fili Moala DT USC- Moala is over rated in my opinion but there is a lot of hype surrounding him which should cause him to go in the first round. The Cardinals have struggles vs the run and Alan Branch is not the answer.

    16.) Houston Texans- LeSean McCoy RB Pitt- This kid really impressed me during his freshman season. He is eligible to enter the draft despite being a true sophomore because a year at prep school making him three years removed from high school. He could be the missing piece to a potentially explosive Texans offense.

    17.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Tim Tebow QB Florida- I know Gruden has thousands of quarterbacks on the roster, but none like this kid. The Buccaneers get a gift as he slides all the way to 17. I think Tebows skill set will make hima game changing player in this league.

    18.) Minnesota Vikings- Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma- Bradford was as impressive as they come as a freshman with over 30 td passes. He is a red shirt sophomore so he is eligible to enter the draft and if he repeats those numbers why shouldn't he?

    19.) Washington Redskins- Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss- The Skins failed to address the DE position this off season and will regret it. Hardy is the best on the board at this point.

    20.) Tennessee Titans- Sen'Derrick Marks Auburn- Without Albert Haynesworth, this defense was nothing short of pathetic. Depth is needed at DT.

    21.) New Orleans Saints- Alex Mack C California- One of the best center prospects in years. Instantly impacts that offensive line.

    22.) Green Bay Packers- Vontae Davis CB Illinois- I thought the Packers would go after a corner early in the 2008 draft. They chose not to but will need to do so in this draft. They getgreat value out of a possible top ten prospect.

    23.) Philadelphia Eagles- Ciron Black OT LSU- Black falls to the Eagles, who were considering Jeff Otah in this years draft before trading out of that spot.

    24.) Cleveland Browns- Gerald McRath OLB Southern Miss- This is a guy who has a lot of potential. He can really get after the quarterback and he fills a big need for the Browns.

    25.) Pittsburgh Steelers- Duke Robinson G Oklahoma- The Steelers get their replacement for Alan Faneca. This O Line struggled against the Jaguars in the playoffs and needs some young pieces to build around.

    26.) Seattle Seahawks- Max Unger OL Oregon- Unger is a versatile lineman who will bolster an Oline that paved the way for running backs to gain under 4 yards a carry last season.

    27.) New York Giants-Taylor Mays S USC- Sammy Knight is not the answer at SS. Another talented USC safety to pair with Kenny Phillips creating a great tandem.

    28.) Indianapolis Colts- Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland- With Harrison aging the Colts need a speedy receiver to compliment Gonzalez and Wayne. Heyward-Bey fits the bill.

    29.) San Diego Chargers- Alex Boone OT Ohio State- If Marcus McNeil does not return to his rookie form the Chargers will look to bring in some competition.

    30.) New England Patriots- Phil Loadholt OT Oklahoma- Brady was pressured way too often in the Super Bowl and the Patriots did little this off season to upgrade an aging offensive line. Loadholt is a good value at the bottom of round one.

    31.) Jacksonville Jaguars- Brandon Spikes ILB Florida- The Jaguars love taking Florida Gators and they gt another one here. Mike Peterson is getting old and having trouble staying on the field. The Jaguars would be wise to grab the versatile Spikes and groom him under Mike Peterson.

    32.) Dallas Cowboys- Anthony Heygood WLB Purdue- Heygood is an interesting prospect. He has played on both sides of the ball in college and is the ultimate team player. If he can run a 4.4 fourty he will find a spot in the first round. The Cowboys seem like a good fit.
    "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
    -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

  • #2
    I think the Laurinaitis pick is too early. A MLB just isn't worth taking that high. Michael Johnson would definitely be the better pick there even though they took Merling. They still need help on the DL.

    If Al Davis considered anyone because of 40 time it would be Percy Harvin. That kid is a gamebreaker and it would absolutely shock me if he didn't go in the first round, barring serious injury.

    The Redskins don't have the defensive end issues that people think they do when they just look at the depth chart. Chris Wilson is a great pass rusher off the edge akin to Jevon Kearse in his prime but without the size to shed run blocks, something Phillip Daniels does just fine. Also, Marcus Washington rotates in this position too. Andre Carter is solid on the other side. They have a much bigger need at defensive tackle. So they would take Marks in that situation.


    R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't see the 49'ers picking any quarterback in round one. Not only did they JUST get burned on a high level pick on a QB (Alex Smith), there's definitely talented players later on. Todd Boeckman, Curtis Painter, Chase Daniel, and Hunter Cantwell should all be available by the time they'd pick in round 2.

      I don't see the Broncos taking an outside linebacker. They got DJ Williams back on weakside, and they brought in Boss Bailey to play strongside. Cushing is a quality player who has great versatility, but I don't know if that extends to MLB.

      Fili Moala would have to play DE in the 3-4 that the Cardinals are going to transition into. He doesn't fit very well there, nor is he worth the pick. Alan Branch should be at least given a year with the starting role.

      I can't believe people still are arguing for early OL for the Patriots. The line held up great for 18 games. Just because it fell apart in one game, doesn't mean you need to completely revamp it.

      And lastly, I'd give the nod to Percy Harvin over Heyward-Bey. Harvin's put up better numbers in a better conference. I know he's Florida, but still. I don't know if Heyward-Bey will ever be great. I agree with Matt that he reminds me a little bit like Troy Williamson.
      - Also known as Dan.
      - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
        I don't see the 49'ers picking any quarterback in round one. Not only did they JUST get burned on a high level pick on a QB (Alex Smith), there's definitely talented players later on. Todd Boeckman, Curtis Painter, Chase Daniel, and Hunter Cantwell should all be available by the time they'd pick in round 2.

        I don't see the Broncos taking an outside linebacker. They got DJ Williams back on weakside, and they brought in Boss Bailey to play strongside. Cushing is a quality player who has great versatility, but I don't know if that extends to MLB.

        Fili Moala would have to play DE in the 3-4 that the Cardinals are going to transition into. He doesn't fit very well there, nor is he worth the pick. Alan Branch should be at least given a year with the starting role.

        I can't believe people still are arguing for early OL for the Patriots. The line held up great for 18 games. Just because it fell apart in one game, doesn't mean you need to completely revamp it.

        And lastly, I'd give the nod to Percy Harvin over Heyward-Bey. Harvin's put up better numbers in a better conference. I know he's Florida, but still. I don't know if Heyward-Bey will ever be great. I agree with Matt that he reminds me a little bit like Troy Williamson.
        First, the 49ers should not let the Alex Smith thing scare them. Stafford is ten times the prospect Smith is. They are different players. Stafford is head and shoulders above those 2nd round prospects you mentioned, in my opinion.

        The Broncos just need LB help. Do you really think Boss Bailey is going to be able to contribute? I think Cushing could play inside.

        The Pats O Line fell apart for them in the Super Bowl but that is not the main reason for the pick. They need some o line help in the wake of that game but they are also aging up front. Plus o line presents the best value at that point. There is not a safety or corner worth taking at that spot.

        Harvin needs to show me a little more this year for me to put him over Heyward-Bey. I am willing to do so because I think Heyward-Bey is some what over rated but I get the feeling the scouts are higher on him at this point.
        "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
        -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

        Comment


        • #5
          -If you have faith in Brodie Croyle why do you have them at 6th?
          -Falcons don't need a WR with White, Robinson and Douglas.
          -Chris Williams is a better LT than Sam Baker so I don't see why Chicago has to take a LT.
          -George Selvie is not a LE.
          -Even with Alan Branch they still have Gabe Watson who is a respectable NT.
          -Tim Tebow is not an NFL QB and I team like Tampa Bay will be able to see this.
          -Taylor Mays should be going much higher he is going to destroy all of the offseason workouts.
          -Don't see why San Diego would have a problem with Marcus McNeill.
          -Jacksonville vs. Dallas is a super bowl that won't happen and Dallas doesn't really need another edge rusher.
          -Patriots only have 1 linemen over 30.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
            I think the Laurinaitis pick is too early. A MLB just isn't worth taking that high. Michael Johnson would definitely be the better pick there even though they took Merling. They still need help on the DL.

            If Al Davis considered anyone because of 40 time it would be Percy Harvin. That kid is a gamebreaker and it would absolutely shock me if he didn't go in the first round, barring serious injury.

            The Redskins don't have the defensive end issues that people think they do when they just look at the depth chart. Chris Wilson is a great pass rusher off the edge akin to Jevon Kearse in his prime but without the size to shed run blocks, something Phillip Daniels does just fine. Also, Marcus Washington rotates in this position too. Andre Carter is solid on the other side. They have a much bigger need at defensive tackle. So they would take Marks in that situation.
            Laurinaitis is elite. He would be worth the top selection in this draft. He has everything you look for in a defensive play maker.

            As a stated in the previous post with a productive junior season Harvin will pass Heyward-Bey in my rankings, but for now Heyward-Bey will stay there.

            Andre Carter is getting up there in age and Marks is not that high up on my list just yet.
            "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
            -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
              -If you have faith in Brodie Croyle why do you have them at 6th?
              -Falcons don't need a WR with White, Robinson and Douglas.
              -Chris Williams is a better LT than Sam Baker so I don't see why Chicago has to take a LT.
              -George Selvie is not a LE.
              -Even with Alan Branch they still have Gabe Watson who is a respectable NT.
              -Tim Tebow is not an NFL QB and I team like Tampa Bay will be able to see this.
              -Taylor Mays should be going much higher he is going to destroy all of the offseason workouts.
              -Don't see why San Diego would have a problem with Marcus McNeill.
              -Jacksonville vs. Dallas is a super bowl that won't happen and Dallas doesn't really need another edge rusher.
              -Patriots only have 1 linemen over 30.
              Brodie Croyle will be entering his first full season as a starter and with a young team around him I do not think it would be fair to throw in the towel on him after one bad year.

              Laurent Robinson Roddy White and Harry Douglas are very unproven. Roddy White had one good year and it was good not great. They need to set Matt Ryan up for success and Crabtree is too good to pass up.

              George Selvie is a mix. He would be brought in too upgrade the pass rush.

              In my opinion Tebow is an NFL QB. He has a big arm and is very mobile. Someone is going to take a chance on him.

              I will reevaluate the Arizona and Chicago picks as you have some good points.

              I do not doubt Taylor Mays shooting up the boards. That kid has some serious talent.

              I think Dallas and Jacksonville could be Super Bowl teams. Both run the ball well and have good defenses. The Cowboys have an explosive passing attack as well. You can never have too many speed rushers in this day and age, and without many needs they have the luxury of adding another.
              "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
              -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

              Comment


              • #8
                Cushing might be able to play inside, I'm not going to discount that theory. I think Boss Bailey will get a second chance, considering that Champ is there too. Will he be effective? Maybe. He could be more motivated.

                I don't like Heyward-Bey. I can't really point to any specific incident as to WHY I don't like him, though. It's just intuition at this point. I think he'll be overdrafted and be a dissapointment.
                - Also known as Dan.
                - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think Tampa will take Tebow because they're going to whoregasm all over his versatility. He can play QB at times, FB others, and yet line up as a TE in other sets. Unless he pulls a Seneca Wallace and demands he only plays QB full time, he's a first round pick.
                  - Also known as Dan.
                  - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If the Bills pick in the top 10 next year that means 1)Lynch blows his knee while at dave and busters. 2)Hardy shots the coaching staff. 3)Steve Johnson does his crappy rap before every game.
                    We have a easier schedule than last and I dout that 50 players will be on IR.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah bro, I can't really back you up here, but it is early. I can't see the Falcons passing up Oher. Miami would probably be smarter to take a DE/OLB like Johnson. I could see Staffto 49ers but I'd take crabtree if Oher goes 1. I think Chicago would trade down if they were at #4, but if the Urlacher situation is serious I'd take Lauranites. Carolina won't pick that low. I see Baltimore taking Maulaluga over Jenkins. Vontae Davis is top 10-15.

                      I think it's pointless to make mocks now overall. It should be about the draft order and why. With that said I'm making one soon. Haha.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And why would the Texans take McCoy if they have Slaton?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                          And why would the Texans take McCoy if they have Slaton?
                          I don't think Slaton is an every down back.
                          "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                          -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                            Yeah bro, I can't really back you up here, but it is early. I can't see the Falcons passing up Oher. Miami would probably be smarter to take a DE/OLB like Johnson. I could see Staffto 49ers but I'd take crabtree if Oher goes 1. I think Chicago would trade down if they were at #4, but if the Urlacher situation is serious I'd take Lauranites. Carolina won't pick that low. I see Baltimore taking Maulaluga over Jenkins. Vontae Davis is top 10-15.

                            I think it's pointless to make mocks now overall. It should be about the draft order and why. With that said I'm making one soon. Haha.
                            The Falcons have invested enough in Baker to give him more than a year to prove himself. Baker is a solid tackle.
                            "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl and a parade through downtown San Diego.''
                            -Ryan Leaf after 1998 NFL Draft

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
                              The Falcons have invested enough in Baker to give him more than a year to prove himself. Baker is a solid tackle.
                              He's a Robert Gallery at tackle. He was fine in college, but he's not that big, and his arms are small. He needs to be moved inside, assuming Justin Blalock can move to play RG/RT.

                              Baker would make a stellar guard, though.
                              - Also known as Dan.
                              - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X