Scariest NFL defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scariest NFL defense

Which defense in today's nfl do you think is the most loaded coming into next season?

undoubtedly the ravens used to get this distinction, but no longer. Personally I say the Chargers because they have a ridiculously loaded secondary, a good pass rush and overall front seven.

Ok, I'm going to break this down by division and then put it in a playoff type of format, but no wildcards:

NFC East: Dallas- NYG fans are screaming but Dallas is more complete than New York. New York easily beats them in the front 4 but Dallas kills them in the back 7.

NFC North: Green Bay- Chicago's defense is still very solid and Minnesota is rising, but Green Bay's front 7 is very solid and deep while their back 4 is getting deeper. I don't think they can rank at a top 3 D until they get better safety play.

NFC South: Tampa Bay- New Orleans is rising quickly and Carolina is there with Tampa, but the Bucs D was very good last year even though they were transitioning into a youth era. They're just going to get better.

NFC West: Seattle- This speaks for itself. A solid front 7 and Marcus Trufant trump the division.

AFC East: New England- One of the best defensive lines in the NFL puts them past the Jets, but NE is slipping a little. Their secondary doesn't look as solid as it once has and its LBing core is aging. Mayo will help out though.

AFC North: Baltimore- This one is a little harder but they edge out pit. The secondary is one of the best in the NFL with Ed Reed, Dawan Landry, Chris McAlister, Fabin Washington, and Samari Rolle. Their line is very solid and Terrel Suggs and Ray Lewis speak for themselves.

AFC South: Indianapolis- The secondary is looking great with Bob Sandars and Marlin Jackson anchoring the unit. The LBers are tailor made for their system and the D-Line is great as long as Dwight Freeny stays healthy.

AFC West: San Diego- Beats the division easily.

Dallas vs. Seattle- Dallas. More complete and very dangerous. Demarcus Ware is one of the best in the business.

Green Bay vs. Tampa Bay- Green Bay. Better front 7 and front 4 is comparable. Give Tampa a year or two, then they might compare.

New England vs. San Diego- San Diego. San Diego's back 8 blows NE out and their front 3 compares.

Baltimore vs. Indianapolis- Baltimore. Baltimore doesn't blow Indy out but they are a better overall unit.

Dallas vs. Green Bay- Dallas. More complete and blows out GB in the back 4.

San Diego vs. Baltimore- San Diego. San Diego is starting to look like Baltimore 3 years ago with how good they are.

San Diego vs. Dallas- Dallas. They are almost identical Merriman vs. Ware, Jammer vs. Newman, Phillips vs. Ellis or Spencer but I'll take Dallas by a hair because of the depth in their secondary but San Diego could be better in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by TRICKaz View Post
      Which defense in today's nfl do you think is the most loaded coming into next season?

undoubtedly the ravens used to get this distinction, but no longer. Personally I say the Chargers because they have a ridiculously loaded secondary, a good pass rush and overall front seven.
      How is San Diego ridiciously loaded in the back 4? Their corners are very good in Jammer, Cromartie, and Cason but the safeties leave something to be desired.

Comment

Even with the Bears play last season I can't really agree with your arguement that the Packers have a better D thats crazy
        Check out my new site Today!
        Live 4 The Story

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Maciasz View Post
          Even with the Bears play last season I can't really agree with your arguement that the Packers have a better D thats crazy
          Why? They have stud players but they are slipping as a unit.

Comment

I'm gonna use the same setup as DraftKidWonder because that was pretty cool:

NFC East-Giants. Spagnuolo did some very creative things last year and it's hard to argue with a defense that carried it's team to the Super Bowl.

NFC West- Seahawks. It's a very underrated defense. Patrick Kerney was arguably the best DE last year and their whole line is solid. They also have a top 5 linebacker core and an above average secondary highlighted by Marcus Trufant.

NFC North- Da Bears. Little banged up, but when healthy they are a very scary defense and should be able to carry their team to the playoffs this year.

NFC South- Buccaneers. Gave up the least points last year and have superstars in the waiting like Gaines Adams, Tanard Jackson & Barrett Ruud.

AFC East- Jets. It's tough for me to say they are better than the Patriots but I like that Tangini addressed his front 7 and I see the back 8 of the Patriots as very weak overall. David Harris is going to be the Defensive POY in 2008.

AFC West- Boltmen. They're pretty solid all around. The safeties leave a little bit to be desired and the defensive line usually has it's fair share of injuries though.

AFC North- Steelers. Yeah right. You all know who's my pick.

AFC South- Titans. It kinda sucks that the unit's production slips when Albert Haynesworth isn't playing but if they can keep him motivated, they can be a dominant unit.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
              I'm gonna use the same setup as DraftKidWonder because that was pretty cool:

NFC East-Giants. Spagnuolo did some very creative things last year and it's hard to argue with a defense that carried it's team to the Super Bowl.

NFC West- Seahawks. It's a very underrated defense. Patrick Kerney was arguably the best DE last year and their whole line is solid. They also have a top 5 linebacker core and an above average secondary highlighted by Marcus Trufant.

NFC North- Da Bears. Little banged up, but when healthy they are a very scary defense and should be able to carry their team to the playoffs this year.

NFC South- Buccaneers. Gave up the least points last year and have superstars in the waiting like Gaines Adams, Tanard Jackson & Barrett Ruud.

AFC East- Jets. It's tough for me to say they are better than the Patriots but I like that Tangini addressed his front 7 and I see the back 8 of the Patriots as very weak overall. David Harris is going to be the Defensive POY in 2008.

AFC West- Boltmen. They're pretty solid all around. The safeties leave a little bit to be desired and the defensive line usually has it's fair share of injuries though.

AFC North- Steelers. Yeah right. You all know who's my pick.

AFC South- Titans. It kinda sucks that the unit's production slips when Albert Haynesworth isn't playing but if they can keep him motivated, they can be a dominant unit.
              Thanks. So who's your #1?

And the Titans over Jax and Indy? I disagree but oh well. Pitt is good, but their secondary isn't the best in the world. Can't blame you for NYG or Chi-Town, but be aware: New England never looks sexy (until last year) but they find ways to succeed. I like NYJ and said in my Top 10 Rookie article that they could have the best D in the AFC East by the end of the season but until somebody dethrones them, I can't bet against 'em.

Comment

The Ravens.

The Titans because they they basically carried their team to the playoffs last year and had a realistic shot at beating the Chargers. I don't like Indy because their offense can hold onto the ball for an insane amount of time and Jacksonville can't generate a pass rush.

Comment

certain teams like the bears or titans i am leary about because so much of it hinges on health of one or two guys. haynesworth, urlacher, harris, vasher, tillman, brown... and they're consistent injury concerns. some of them anyway.
                  as a homer i am excited to see the packers because of their depth and youth, and i'm thinking that rouse will beat out collins. bigby was inconsistent as heck for about 12 games, then came on for the last six. six shows progress whereas just one or two leaves more questions, know what i mean? poppinga fits the same category; adding chillar nullifies poppinga's weaknesses and adds another dimension to their defense also.
                  rouse should be a stud. jeremy thompson has a real chance to disrupt things.
                  harrell and jolly should be better than last year.
                  hopefully jenkins will stay healthy.
                  tramon williams has really come on at CB and we haven't really even seen will blackmon and pat lee yet.
                  i full well realize that i am a local fan but i would take the packers over the cowboys or chargers, not that either is bad or didn't improve this offseason as well. it will be fun to watch. TB should be something to reckon with also.
                  i also look for hawk and barnett to have pro-bowl caliber years. and when they add jason taylor things should heat up as well.

Comment

The Cowboys don't have the best defense in the NFL or even close to it. The Chargers, Giants, Ravens, Jaguars, Steelers, Vikings, Packers, Patriots, and Seahawks all have better defenses and that is just off the top of my head.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
                    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

At least the Cowboys are loaded at Cornerback.

Comment

loaded at CB = Eagles cuz Lito aint going nowhere

Comment

He ain't want to be playin' there either.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                            He ain't want to be playin' there either.
                            Why do you say that?

Comment

The "Scariest" defense is the Ravens bar none... they have a murderer on the team. The best defense is a different story, but that's for another thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X