Team Stock Report: Oakland and Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Stock Report: Oakland and Chicago

For my second installment for my team stock report series, I have made a report for a team on the rise (Oakland) and on the fall (Chicago). Enjoy!
    Feedback welcomed including suggestions.

Team Stock Report: On the rise or fall?

Oakland Raiders: Rise
    The Raiders seem like they have finally turned the corner. The acquisitions of DeAngelo Hall, Javon Walker, and Darren McFadden were big steps into installing a playoff team. The drafting of a quarterback #1 overall last year shows the commitment of building a franchise from the bottom up. Trying to fire a coach after one year doesn’t but Lane Kiffin stepped up and said he would not resign, which I thought was very bold. Overall, this team is building a solid foundation for a winning football team.
    The offense is a lot like the Falcons, loaded at the skill spots but hurting on the offensive line. Jamarcus Russell is the most physically gifted quarterback in the NFL and showed promise during the last game of the regular season. Though reports came out that he was 300 lbs., coach Kiffin came out and defended his quarterback saying he has dedicated himself this offseason and it has shown. Reports out of Raiders camp say that Russell looks awfully impressive and if he keeps it up, his ceiling will evaporate because he won’t have one. The Oakland backfield is very crowded, but it’s a problem I would love to have. Darren McFadden was drafted with #4 overall pick this April and for good reason. He is extremely fast, talented, quick, and has sneaky power. Along with McFadden is 1,000 yard rusher Justin Fargas, ultra talented Michael Bush, and Lamont Jordan, who will probably be cut by training camp. The receiver is a huge question mark. Javon Walker was brought in this offseason to boost this porous group, but coming off of ACL surgery concerns me. Along with Walker are Ronald Curry and Johnnie Lee Higgins. It isn’t a very spectacular group but it will hinge on Walker’s return from major surgery. Tight end is solid with second year pro Zach Miller. The offensive line is a huge question mark and probably won’t play very well this year considering all of the underachievers they have. Former #2 pick Robert Gallery busted at tackle but seems to have found a home at left guard and Kwame Harris was signed to a 3 yr. 16 million dollar deal. Talk about a waste of money. The rest of their line was pretty solid but nothing spectacular. When all is said and done, their success depends on Russell, McFadden, and Walker. If the offensive line plays surprisingly well this season, I’ll tune in to every Raider game because of the potential that Russell and McFadden have together: The possibility of becoming the best backfield ever.
    The Raider defense is very talented, but inconsistent. The defensive line is set with Derrick Burgess, Tommy Kelly, Terrell Sands, and probably Jay Richardson starting, but needs to produce big with the retirement of Warren Sapp. The linebacking core is one of the more talented in the league. Kirk Morrison is a rock in the middle while Thomas Howard is a stud on the outside. Robert Thomas will likely start at the strong side linebacker spot. Their secondary is loaded, starting with lockdown corners DeAngelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha. Their man to man skills will give a team headaches all game long. Safety looks good as well with former 7th overall pick Michael Huff moving back to his natural free safety spot, where he will be a star. Thumper and Super Bowl champion Gibril Wilson will start at strong safety. The D looks to be solid as long as the line plays up to potential.
    The overall team outlook looks good with head coach Lane Kiffin, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, and the roster Al Davis has assembled. The problem is getting everything to click. If Davis keeps his nose out of the coaching staff and Kiffin gets his team ready to play they might, just might, have a shot of making the playoffs in 2008.

Chicago: Fall
    Though the Chicago Bears had a very solid all-around draft this year, the team is falling from grace quickly. A defense that was once storied is now slowing down because of injuries. On top of that, the team is in disarray at the quarterback position. Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton have proven that they cannot lead a team for the long run and undrafted rookies Nick Hill and Caleb Hanie wouldn’t seem to be the answer to the naked eye. It will take three years to develop a quarterback most likely and the offense needs to be redone. Overall, the team is in trouble.
    Their offense will be one of the most anemic in the NFL this coming season. Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton will struggle with wins with the supporting cast. I once claimed Cedric Benson would be a great NFL back because of the talent he displayed at Texas. Well, this guy was my most disappointing call since I’ve been doing the draft and he’s almost as good as gone with his second arrest this month. Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte will backup Benson or possibly start at sometime this coming season. Receiver is even worse with the starters likely being the mediocre Marty Booker, the raw Devin Hester, and rookie Earl Bennett. At tight end they are solid with future star Greg Olson, Desmond Clark, and rookie Kellen Davis. The team drafted left tackle Chris Williams 14th overall in the draft and he better be as good as advertised or the line will be the epitome of disaster. John Tait will shift to right tackle and Olin Kruetz is solid at center but they are more likely to struggle mightily than succeed.
    On defense the team has solid playmakers all around but injuries to Tommie Harris (knee), Brian Urlacher (back arthritis), and Mike Brown (everything) have hurt this team and with Urlacher unhappy about his contract, he might not be around for long. Their defensive line is solid but Harris is also unhappy with his contract and if he leaves, there will be a gaping hole in the middle of their defense. Lance Briggs is an above average linebacker while Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman are fine corners. Look for Brown to bounce back and Daniel Manning to step up. If not, the defense will not be as solid as yesteryear.
    Overall, the turmoil of their current roster and the contract disputes from veteran players will ultimately be the fall of this Bears team, not to mention the unstable quarterback situation. Bear fans be warned: If Chris Williams does not pan out as a starting left tackle in the NFL, they will be the worst team in the NFL come 2010. They have reloaded on defense the past couple of years and their offense looks to be improving a hair, but in developing a signal caller you need a great pass blocker and if Williams busts the franchise will be set back years.

Comments?

I've heard Drew Carter has been outperforming Javon Walker in minicamp.

Comment

I’ll tune in to every Raider game because of the potential that Russell and McFadden have together: The possibility of becoming the best backfield ever.

I'm done reading... sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post

I'm done reading... sorry.
        It is a very real possibility with the POTENTIAL each have. If they pan out the way they are "projected" they will be a very talented backfield.

Mike Mayock said Russell has the tools to be the best QB ever so if he lives up to Mayock's expectations, it'll be hard to fault me for that statement.

Comment

I was bluffing...

On defense the team has solid playmakers all around but injuries to Tommie Harris (knee), Brian Urlacher (back arthritis), and Mike Brown (everything) have hurt this team and with Urlacher unhappy about his contract, he might not be around for long. Their defensive line is solid but Harris is also unhappy with his contract and if he leaves, there will be a gaping hole in the middle of their defense. Lance Briggs is an above average linebacker while Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman are fine corners. Look for Brown to bounce back and Daniel Manning to step up. If not, the defense will not be as solid as yesteryear.
          LOL at Mike Brown.
          I'm pretty sure Urlacher solved his contract issues and has moved on.
          Lance Briggs is better than "an above average LB"

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
            It is a very real possibility with the POTENTIAL each have. If they pan out the way they are "projected" they will be a very talented backfield.

Mike Mayock said Russell has the tools to be the best QB ever so if he lives up to Mayock's expectations, it'll be hard to fault me for that statement.
            Russell has potential to be the sloppiest fattest QB of all time. He doesn't seem to have the desire to win or be great. I could care less what Mayock said, he thinks Matt Ryan should have gone #1 overall.

Comment

JaMarcus Russell will probably be alright but I don't think he's going to be great. The Raiders aren't really rebuilding properly when they sign risky players such as Walker.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
              HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Chicago is falling from what??? The bottom half of the League. LOL that’s a real stretch Kid.

If I were to choose a team on the rise. I would rather base my opinion on a team who’s players whom have shown they can play in this League and not basing my opinions on a team with two players who are
                Quote “projected” Fantasy. Like for instants the Bills, Marshawn Lynch and QB Trent Edwards……but I’m not choosing.

JM 2 cents.
                Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post

Well ya if they both wind up being the best ever than yah theyll be ok
                  Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Chicago is probably going to make the playoffs just from their stifiling defense and at least Rex Grossman started managing the games instead of trying to throw deep.

Comment

Nice job! Though I dont think russell will live up to expectations. He doesnt seem to want to work to be a winner...Adam Schefter reported russell was rumored to be 300 pounds

Comment

Does anybody else find these long, rather badly paragrafed, text difficult to read?
                        Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Fender View Post
                          Does anybody else find these long, rather badly paragrafed, text difficult to read?
                          No, I think Kid Wonder thinks everyone likes to read 2000 word articles jumbled together with no double spacing.
                          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            No, I think Kid Wonder thinks everyone likes to read 2000 word articles jumbled together with no double spacing.
                            I did double space but it didn't switch over from my word to the forum. And yes I do. People like to read articles that are a little long that's what it is. You don't make a two paragraph article and call it a night.
                            Last edited by DraftKidWonder; 06-10-2008, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog0123 View Post
                              Nice job! Though I dont think russell will live up to expectations. He doesnt seem to want to work to be a winner...Adam Schefter reported russell was rumored to be 300 pounds
                              Thanks. If you want to check out my first installment it's probably on the first or second page of this forum. It's Atlanta and Miami's breakdown.

Comment

Working...
                              X