Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stevie Johnson WR making a good impression in Buffalo....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevie Johnson WR making a good impression in Buffalo....

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...ry/367424.html

Late pick making an impression
    By Allen Wilson NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
    Updated: 06/11/08 6:37 AM

SAVE EMAIL PRINT POPULAR Digg it del.icio.us + Larger Font Google Yahoo - Smaller Font
    James P. McCoy/Buffalo News
    Receiver Steve Johnson has impressed with his ability to run after the catch.
    He seems to make a play in every practice, earning the praise of his coaches and teammates alike. When the work is over and the players leave the field, he remains to catch extra passes from the Jugs machine.

When you are a seventh-round draft pick you better make an impression early and often. If it was Steve Johnson’s intention to get the Buffalo Bills’ attention, he is succeeding.

“He’s doing a good job,” Bills wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert said . “He’s like all the other rookies, the head’s spinning a little bit. But he’s a playmaking guy. We were very fortunate to get him where we drafted him because we had a higher grade than where we got him.”

Like the Bills, Johnson was stunned he had to wait so long to get a telephone call from an NFL team during the draft. But the former University of Kentucky star has gotten over the disappointment.

“I’m here now so I don’t really have to worry about what happened in the past,” he said. “All I’ve got to do is go forward and everything will be all good.”

Johnson has been pretty good for most of the Bills’ voluntary practice sessions. He has impressive size at 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, which was a big reason the Bills drafted him and 6-6 James Hardy.

What stands out about Johnson is his good hands and ability to run after the catch. His route running needs polishing, but he doesn’t seem to have a problem getting open.

“You can see that he has good ability,” Tolbert said. “He still has a lot to learn, but he’s off to a good start.”

If Johnson is raw it’s because he hasn’t been playing football long. The San Francisco native didn’t take up the sport until his high school started a program before his junior year.

He started at running back as a junior and quarterback as a senior, while also playing safety, linebacker and defensive end. It wasn’t until Johnson reached Chabot College in Hayward, Calif., that he moved to wide receiver. He embraced the position switch and earned All-America honors his second year by catching 73 passes for 1,060 yards and 12 touchdowns.

After transferring to Kentucky in 2006, Johnson needed a year to adjust to the NCAA Division I-A level. But he busted out in a big way last season with 60 catches, 1,041 yards, 13 touchdowns and was named first-team All-Southeastern Conference by College Football News. Two of his touchdowns were game-winners: a 57-yarder with 28 seconds left against Louisville and a 7-yarder in triple overtime against then No. 1 LSU.

It was Johnson’s performance in that LSU game that really made Tolbert stand up and take notice. Including his game-winner, Johnson had a career-high seven catches for 134 yards during a 43-37 upset of the eventual national champions.

“If a receiver played LSU I’d watch that game because LSU had two senior cornerbacks that did a good job all year long,” Tolbert said. “But Steve pretty much ripped LSU’s senior corners apart, so that stood out more than anything. That showed me everything he could do as a playmaker.”

Producing in what is widely recognized as the best conference in college football didn’t hurt either.

“Some people say the SEC is like an NFL JV, so to speak,” Johnson said. “But going against LSU, Florida and Tennessee is like going against the best, so you’re pretty much practicing for the next level. Coaches always told us that at Kentucky. It has helped make the transition [to the NFL] a lot easier.”

Johnson’s experience against SEC defenses may help him in shorts this spring, but the NFL is a much different and faster game when the pads go on in the summer and fall.
    Tolbert likes what he’s seen but wants to see more from Johnson when training camp arrives.

“I have no problem with his playmaking ability,” Tolbert said. “I don’t have a problem with his toughness from what I saw on film. But getting him in a situation where he can be successful and be consistent, that’s the key.”

Johnson knows he has a lot to prove, but that’s nothing different than what he’s faced since he first touched a football.

“Out of high school to junior college it was always the same way,” he said. “I just started playing the position, so every time I stepped on the field I had to prove myself. I think if you step on the field with that attitude and mentality you can’t really lose. Don’t be comfortable at all. Just continue to work and good things will happen.”

I know Matt liked him coming out of college

Still cant believe he lasted until the 7th round....Funny enough I had him going in the 5th round to the Bills
    Alex Carrington for mayor

Congratulations Andrew Luck, You are storing your winning Lottery Ticket in a Styrofoam safe until 2012, the manufacturer of this safe does not cover hazards such as Injury, Rookie Pay Scales, or declining skills

-You know you are right on message boards when no one responds to your post

Sad part is that I took him in the 4th Round for the Browns in the First 08 Forum Mock. It doesnt surprise me that he is making an impact early.
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

I’m picturing as the Bucs are setting up for another punt, they show a highlight if Steve Johnson high stepping into the end zone and Matt punches somebody in the face.

Comment

lol
        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by EL Guapo View Post
          I’m picturing as the Bucs are setting up for another punt, they show a highlight if Steve Johnson high stepping into the end zone and Matt punches somebody in the face.
          We got a couple years before that happens. By then, the Bucs might get some brains and get a solid receiver.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
          HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

lol! I can totally see that.

You could see he was a big time playmaker at Kentucky quietly because of the spotlight on Keenan Burton. He was able to do his thing while teams targeted on Burton, even though Burton was hampered by injuries, so I'm not surprised.

I am surprised though about all the Kentucky homers on the web. Maybe not you but nobody else would post a story about a 7th rounder impressing unless you know it's going to get a lot of traffic. < Note: Traffic by UK homers... Like me!

Comment

I said he was the next Colston. I'm calling it. I called it. I gave him a 2nd round grade. NFL scouts have no clue.
              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                I said he was the next Colston. I'm calling it. I called it. I gave him a 2nd round grade. NFL scouts have no clue.
                lol...NFL scouts have no clue?

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                  lol...NFL scouts have no clue?
                  Woodson drops to the bottom of the 6th round. Ryan is taken ahead of Glenn Dorsey, much less 3rd overall. Chad Henne was picked in the 2nd round. Jerome Simpson and Jordan Dizon were 2nd round picks.

How the **** was Reggie Corner a 3rd rounder? Same for Kevin O'Connell.

I could go on and on with all these dumb draft picks and wtf are you doing bs.

Walter and i talked about it. We are both confident we could draft and manage the player personell of an NFL team. It really isn't as hard as you would think. A lot of NFL teams f it up time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    Woodson drops to the bottom of the 6th round. Ryan is taken ahead of Glenn Dorsey, much less 3rd overall. Chad Henne was picked in the 2nd round. Jerome Simpson and Jordan Dizon were 2nd round picks.

How the **** was Reggie Corner a 3rd rounder? Same for Kevin O'Connell.

I could go on and on with all these dumb draft picks and wtf are you doing bs.

Walter and i talked about it. We are both confident we could draft and manage the player personell of an NFL team. It really isn't as hard as you would think. A lot of NFL teams f it up time and time again.
                    Well obviously they f it up...You think you guys wouldn't f it up? I was reading old stories from this website and I think either you or Walter said he thinks Mike Williams is the best player in the draft.

Jerome Simpson is a good pick by the way.

The Falcons had to move on from the Vick situation and had to get there franchise guy.

Comment

Well obviously they f it up...You think you guys wouldn't f it up? I was reading old stories from this website and I think either you or Walter said he thinks Mike Williams is the best player in the draft.

Jerome Simpson is a good pick by the way.

The Falcons had to move on from the Vick situation and had to get there franchise guy.
                      Franchise guy. I love that term. It is the same one we gave to Ryan Leaf, David Carr, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, etc. etc. etc.

They could have gotten a very solid starter in the 2nd round with Brian Brohm, or in my opinion an Andre Woodson (whether it be in the 2nd-6th rounds). Would he not then put Vick in the past and be the "franchise QB"? The two words don't win football games, but people seem to think so.

What about "Franchise DT." We do know that defense wins championships.

Of course Walter and I would make mistakes. But I also know we wouldn't shell out these ridiculous contracts and make boneheaded draft decisions.

lol why is jerome simpson a good pick? Small schooll WR that struggled in catching the ball in hte post season bowl games and practices. I don't like that. Horrible pick. They took Jerome Simpson over DeSean Jackson, Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, and Earl Bennett...DUMB.

Comment

Glenn Dorsey would a franchise player, and a much more dependable one than Matt Ryan (ugh).

If they wanted to make some symbolic move that they're washing their hands of Vick, maybe they should've just f-cking cut Vick. That's enough of a symbolic action, imo. (re: any salary cap implications - it'd still be less of a hit than the money wasted on Ryan now)

God, we suck.

Oh, and re: the topic - Good times...Kentucky, even despite Matt's homerism, definitely has some solid players in this class in Johnson, Burton, Woodson, and Tamme, and I can see them all making it.

Comment

I think Oakland passing up on Dorsey was even worse. Kiffen even wanted to draft him, but old Al Davis gave him the big "F U" and let him know who runs the team by getting McFadden.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                            I think Oakland passing up on Dorsey was even worse. Kiffen even wanted to draft him, but old Al Davis gave him the big "F U" and let him know who runs the team by getting McFadden.
                            I agree, but when you invest 50 mil in Tommy Kelly, it makes sense to take McFadden.

But I think Al Davis is a dumbass.

Shockdoctor: I was sprouting boners a long time ago from what I saw of Steve Johnson recorded in games. You are right. We hear this positivity BS in every training camp and OTA.

But Johnson was different for me. I'm not shocked by this at all. I thought he had 2nd round talent.

Comment

I don't think Tommy Kelly is bad, in fact he's good and deserved a good contract had he not torn his ACL, but still, 50 mil? Wtf. I guess you can't invest all that extra money in Glen Dorsey after that debacle.

Comment

Working...
                              X