Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More alleged NFL scout talk

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=816444

There already has been lots of talk about how good the quarterbacks will be in the Big 12 this season. Check out this roll call: Missouri's Chase Daniel, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Texas Tech's Graham Harrell, Kansas' Todd Reesing, Texas' Colt McCoy, Colorado's Cody Hawkins, Oklahoma State's Zac Robinson and Kansas State's Josh Freeman. And I think Nebraska's Joe Ganz is primed for a big season, too.

But are any of these signal-callers NFL prospects? I talked to an NFL scout who follows the Big 12 to get his views.

Kansas quarterback Todd Reesing falls short of being regarded as a big-time NFL prospect.
    "No, most of these guys don't project as big-time prospects," he says. "Most are short quarterbacks who excel in their system.

"Look at Daniel. He's not even 6-foot. He's about 5-10. I think he'll be a late-round pick. He'll have to find the right system where they move him around and he gets windows to throw through. But Doug Flutie was a small guy. And he's who Daniel reminds me of."

But a few Big 12 players who will be draft-eligible in April already are gaining attention.

"I'll tell you who I really like: (Nebraska RB Marlon) Lucky," he says. "He's a good player who showed up in every game last year. With the way he runs and catches, I think he'd be perfect for a West Coast offense.

"I think (Missouri tight end Chase) Coffman will be a better pro than Martin Rucker. I think Coffman is tougher and has more of an NFL body. He'll just be a better fit in the NFL. You always wonder why they don't use him more.

"I'll tell you who's another good tight end: the kid at Oklahoma State (Brandon Pettigrew). He is as good as any of the tight ends who came out in last year's draft."

Only thing I disagree with a bit is about Marlon Lucky. I don't know how high thi scout is on him (if he is even real, which we have no idea it could be made up), but I see Lucky as a 3rd-4th round draft pick. Think a slightly more athletic Kevin Smith.
    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 06-16-2008, 04:20 AM.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Well, he never said that Lucky would be a top 25 pick. I think he was mostly saying "Here's a guy no one's talking about. This guy is better than people give him credit for.". And let's face it. With all the talk about Knowshon Moreno, Chris Wells, half of both the OSU and USC defenses, and Tim Tebow, there's not a whole lot about the other guys.
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

I am high on Lucky but dont think he will go on Day One.

Pettigrew was arrested for beating up a cop. Cop probobly deserved it but the fact is it could affect his draft status. As much as I have asked around the forum if those charges were dropped or he was punished for it I still haven't gotten an answer and until I do he wont be a Day 1 pick in my book no matter his talent level.

God, still getting use to Day 1 being only 2 Rounds.
      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
      Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Lucky has all the talent in the world, but he isn't tough. He's fast and athletic but he's an underachiever.

Comment

I have a couple problems with Lucky that made me give him a late-round grade. I think his moves are very good and I also see him hit holes and make blocking assignments with great accuracy but he doesn't have breakaway speed or a sufficient amount of strength to show me that he can succeed at the NFL level. He doesn't hit the corners extremely fast, which will hurt big time when he plays against much faster linebackers at the pro level and he tends to go down upon first contact, though he does finish his runs well. He catches well out of the backfield and does well in the open field but the lack of either great strength or great speed could really hurt him at the next level.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
          HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Josh Freeman could surprise. He has what it takes to be successful(size, arm, pocket presence) he just needs to improve his reads and accuracy. Of course that could come with an improved O-Line

Comment

Originally posted by titan_qb_3 View Post
              Josh Freeman could surprise. He has what it takes to be successful(size, arm, pocket presence) he just needs to improve his reads and accuracy. Of course that could come with an improved O-Line
              A quarterback improves both his reads and accuracy about as often as Osama bin Laden goes to McDonald's.

In all seriousness it happens, but those are the two hardest things for a quarterback to fix.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

I disagree with reads being that hard to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                  I disagree with reads being that hard to improve.
                  I disagree that there is outstanding QB play in the NFL right now.

Phil Simms says it takes 6 years to truly understand how to play the QB position. Look at Eli, he peaked around that time.

It takes a long time to learn an offense in this league and to be confident with the speed of the game. It is why we see some QBs like Flutie, Garcia, Bulger, Green, and even Steve Young have great careers at an older age.
                  2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Oh, I think it's hard, but the post above made it seem as if they never improve (unless Osama goies to McDonalds more than I thought).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      Phil Simms says it takes 6 years to truly understand how to play the QB position. Look at Eli, he peaked around that time.

I guess some [Ben Roethlisberger] learn faster than others.
                      sigpic

------------------------------------------------
                      Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

- NYTimes, July 20, 2000

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanSteelerBear View Post
                        I guess some [Ben Roethlisberger] learn faster than others.
                        Obviously. Others take longer.
                        - Also known as Dan.
                        - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Oh, I think it's hard, but the post above made it seem as if they never improve (unless Osama goies to McDonalds more than I thought).
                          McD's are EVERYWHERE.

...Just saying.

Comment

Um... actually I was saying that's how often they improve both.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Oh, well then I guess I should have said I disagree with accuracy being so easy to improve, but you don't say it's easy... really my next post was useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X