Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cadillac could be coming back

From PewterReport.com:

Tampa Bay running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams' career was in doubt when the team learned that he had sustained a torn patellar tendon in his knee in Week 4 of the 2007 regular season vs. the Carolina Panthers.

But with Tampa Bay a little more than one month away from reporting to Celebration Hotel for the start of training camp on July 25, the Bucs are cautiously optimistic that Williams might return to action on the field at some point this year.

Williams, the 2005 NFL Rookie of the Year, spent a significant amount of time working with trainer Todd Toriscelli on the football field on Tuesday, and his vigorous rehab routine has been a common one and hasn't gone unnoticed by head coach Jon Gruden and the rest of the team.

"He ran great today," Gruden said of Williams. "It's one of the most amazing comebacks I've seen. He hasn't come back yet, but he's banging on the door. Our fans would really be proud of him. He's running fast.

"He's putting himself through an unbelievable workout routine. I've never seen anything like it. It rivals some of the Rocky Balboa moves you see on television. This is very important to him. God bless him. I think his work ethic and determination has really stimulated our coaching staff and players."

Williams, who was selected by the Bucs in the first-round of the 2005 NFL Draft, apparently went as far as lobbying the coaching and training staff to get on the field for the mandatory mini-camp, but to no avail.

"He's ready to go if you ask him," Gruden said of Williams. "He's really putting some good tape together. He's not allowed to be part of the team activities, but the explosive movement, change of direction, stamina and confidence appear to be coming back. That's what is really exciting. He doesn't appear to have any setbacks at this point. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope it continues at this point because it's really exciting.

"He's been asking to come out here and play since the program started in April. He doesn't want to miss a rep. If there's one great story to come out of here today it's Carnell Williams. I'm really proud to witness it."
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

2 games and he is hurt again. I see it as a Priest Holmes situation except Cadillac is younger

Comment

Originally posted by titan_qb_3 View Post
      2 games and he is hurt again. I see it as a Priest Holmes situation except Cadillac is younger
      Good thing is now Graham is established. Bennett was brought in. We have Warrick Dunn.

NO reason why Caddy should be overworked. We are extremely deep at RB. Gruden knew he messed up and won't do it again.

Either way, our team is stacked and we can draft another RB in 2009 if we have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        Good thing is now Graham is established. Bennett was brought in. We have Warrick Dunn.

NO reason why Caddy should be overworked. We are extremely deep at RB. Gruden knew he messed up and won't do it again.

Either way, our team is stacked and we can draft another RB in 2009 if we have to.
        I know he won't be overworked but there are some injuries you just can't come back completely from. I hope I'm wrong because it's fun watching Cadillac run the ball but I don't think he can ever be close to the same

Comment

Originally posted by titan_qb_3 View Post
          I know he won't be overworked but there are some injuries you just can't come back completely from. I hope I'm wrong because it's fun watching Cadillac run the ball but I don't think he can ever be close to the same
          We'll Jon Grudne is a usually reserved person on what he says about his team.

I take him at his word. If he says Caddy looks great, then he is probably looking great.

That said, I wouldnj't be surprised if Caddy doesn't make it to games until mid season.

That said, I really don't care. Having Caddy would be a luxury. Our OL will kick ass anyways and we have a solid trio in Graham, Dunn, and Bennett.

Comment

It's a shame he got such a rough injury so young.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
            HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Good for him, if a guy works this hard and his track record doesn't look anything like Pac Man Jones, then i'm cheering for him.

Comment

The smart move would be to activate Cadillac in 2009. The Bucs have a good shot of repeating, and unless the running game needs a shot in the arm, Williams won't be necessary. Graham, Dunn, and Bennett should be plenty.

The Bucs are fortunate that they can get a dynamic player like Williams back, but they should wait until the last possible moment to test that injury.
                - Also known as Dan.
                - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                  The smart move would be to activate Cadillac in 2009. The Bucs have a good shot of repeating, and unless the running game needs a shot in the arm, Williams won't be necessary. Graham, Dunn, and Bennett should be plenty.
                  But if he is ready to go say in Week 6, there is no point in doing that. You just don't bench players.

Cadillac is BY FAR our most talented runningback. His speed is simply on a different level than anything we have right now. His vision is so much better.

That said, I would still love to see a Caddy/Graham backfield. Both taking 15-20 snaps a game. That would be great with our OL, which will be awesome in run blocking this season.

Comment

You think he is still by far your best back?

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                      You think he is still by far your best back?
                      The talent Cadillac has, has gone unnoticed because his OL in his first two reasons was dogsh.it

And I think because of that line, it hindered Cadillac's motor and made him a more cautious runner. Instead of hitting the hole hard, he wouldn't go as fast because he knew no one was blocking for him so he wanted to protect himself.

He ran scared and it was understandable. There was nothing for him.

I really saw him turn the corner in the Week 4 game against Carolina. I felt like he had his swagger back. Trueblood, Sears, and Joseph were destroying defensive line in the running game, and they will continue to do so with our biggest upgrade we made this offseason with Jeff Faine at center (John Wade = worst starting center in NFL).

I think if Caddy can come back hungry you're going to see a different back. His vision, ability to cut on a dime, and speed make him our #1 back. Gruden knows this.

Graham is a talented runner, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't as impressed with his production last year as others because I felt like Tampa's OL simply dominated at times in the running game.

Cadillac could average 5 yards per carry with this OL we have now. I'm not expecting him back until during the middle of the season. I'm also not worried he will be rushed back. Both Gruden and Allen have a tremendous respect for doctor's decisions as evidenced by them not rushing back Jeff Garcia. They also take care of the vets in the offseason by lessening their practice time by giving them day's off in training camp and mini camp. For instance, Galloway only goes once per day in the mini camps lately.

When Caddy comes back, he will come back 100%. And when Caddy comes back, Gruden will have the confidence in Graham to give him many carries as well.

Caddy and Graham have different dimensions. Graham is a more well rounded back. He's better in pass pro and he's a great receiver. Caddy is the better pure runner, not that Graham is shabby, but Caddy maximizes the yardage of the play and can go the distance. I don't see that in Graham.

Comment

As long as Gruden doesnt pull a Herm Edwards and give him 30 carries a game when he comes back and tak it slow Williams could return to be a good cotributor. Maybe even a starter in a year or so.
                        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Caddilac is great lets hope he recovers and has a nice season.

Caddilac=Moreno

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            But if he is ready to go say in Week 6, there is no point in doing that. You just don't bench players.

Cadillac is BY FAR our most talented runningback. His speed is simply on a different level than anything we have right now. His vision is so much better.

That said, I would still love to see a Caddy/Graham backfield. Both taking 15-20 snaps a game. That would be great with our OL, which will be awesome in run blocking this season.
                            Here's the problem though. Just because doctors say he's at 100%, doesn't mean they're going to be right about it. Doctors make mistakes. A RB who hasn't carried the ball in over a year could be anxious. He may try to jump the gun.

That being said, I'm not sure if I'd want to take that sort of risk, especially when it's not necessary. If Graham/Dunn/Bennett are tearing up opposing defenses, is it worth taking the injury risk with Williams?
                            - Also known as Dan.
                            - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

If he comes back would it be under a new contract or his old one?

Comment

Working...
                              X