X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm prepared for hundreds of e-mails

Vikings preview is posted, and yes, I bash Tarvaris Jackson. w00t
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Great review of the Vikings Walt.

A few points...
    The secondary isn't as bad as the statistics might lead one to believe. Other teams never made a serious attempt to run the ball against the Vikings line, so the Vikings faced more passes than anybody, and naturally that lead to some inflated PYA stats that everyone seems to use to conclude that Vikings secondary is bad.... which simply is not the case. Not only that, but Tarvaris Jackson constantly put the defense in bad positions which also helped to dampen their statistical situation.

Cederic Griffin is not in danger of loosing his job, unless he gets hurt of course. Granted, Charles Gordon and Marcus McCauley would be starting CB's for most other NFL teams, but Griffin was targeted last year a lot and he held up very well, especially in the second half of the season. I am expecting him to silence all of his critics this season.

Sharper does take a gamble or two to get a pick, but he's also one of the top safties in the league in spite of his age. Also, while I do agree that the Vikings overpaid for an injury prone player in Madieu Williams, his fantastic coverage skills when healthy is unquestioned, and he's also good in run support. If he stays healthy, I'm expected a Pro-bowl type of performance from him this season.

I do agree with you that Tarvaris Jackson is the one and only thing that will hold this team back from a Super Bowl run. Providing this team stays healthy on defense, they could plug any one of us on these boards in as QB for the Vikings and they'd still make the playoffs. Jackson will be the one factor when the playoffs start that will keep the Vikings from winning.

If I had a choice, I would avoid Adrian Peterson in top 5 draft spots in fantasy leagues. The reason? Tarvaris Jackson. Don't get me wrong, I think Adrian "All-Day" Peterson is the best RB in the league, bar none. HOwever, as long as Jackson is starting, teams will have zero respect for the Vikings passing game. They will then start stacking the box with 8, 9 and sometimes even 10 defenders to focus 100% of their attention on AD. This will result in substancially lower numbers for AD, much like what he experienced toward the end of last season when teams first started doing that.

$0.02,

--Z
    sigpic
    WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
    PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
    NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
    Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
    Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
    MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
    PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
    Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
    Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
    ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
    Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
    TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
    InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
    Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
    EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
    EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
    Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
    BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
    Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

If they know the pass is coming since all teams are going to give up on the run, shouldn't they be better prepared?

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
        If they know the pass is coming since all teams are going to give up on the run, shouldn't they be better prepared?
        In theory it's simple. But depending on the personal and schemes they run could be much harder.
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
          Great review of the Vikings Walt.

A few points...
          The secondary isn't as bad as the statistics might lead one to believe. Other teams never made a serious attempt to run the ball against the Vikings line, so the Vikings faced more passes than anybody, and naturally that lead to some inflated PYA stats that everyone seems to use to conclude that Vikings secondary is bad.... which simply is not the case. Not only that, but Tarvaris Jackson constantly put the defense in bad positions which also helped to dampen their statistical situation.

Cederic Griffin is not in danger of loosing his job, unless he gets hurt of course. Granted, Charles Gordon and Marcus McCauley would be starting CB's for most other NFL teams, but Griffin was targeted last year a lot and he held up very well, especially in the second half of the season. I am expecting him to silence all of his critics this season.

Sharper does take a gamble or two to get a pick, but he's also one of the top safties in the league in spite of his age. Also, while I do agree that the Vikings overpaid for an injury prone player in Madieu Williams, his fantastic coverage skills when healthy is unquestioned, and he's also good in run support. If he stays healthy, I'm expected a Pro-bowl type of performance from him this season.

I do agree with you that Tarvaris Jackson is the one and only thing that will hold this team back from a Super Bowl run. Providing this team stays healthy on defense, they could plug any one of us on these boards in as QB for the Vikings and they'd still make the playoffs. Jackson will be the one factor when the playoffs start that will keep the Vikings from winning.

If I had a choice, I would avoid Adrian Peterson in top 5 draft spots in fantasy leagues. The reason? Tarvaris Jackson. Don't get me wrong, I think Adrian "All-Day" Peterson is the best RB in the league, bar none. HOwever, as long as Jackson is starting, teams will have zero respect for the Vikings passing game. They will then start stacking the box with 8, 9 and sometimes even 10 defenders to focus 100% of their attention on AD. This will result in substancially lower numbers for AD, much like what he experienced toward the end of last season when teams first started doing that.

$0.02,

--Z
          ok so you expect all the mediocre players to get a lot better and the above average players to rise up to pro bowl form. I expect grossman to have a pro bowl season too.
          Last edited by regoob2; 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM.
          Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
            ok so you expect all the mediocre players to get a lot better and the above average players to rise up to pro bowl form.
            No, I never said that. I just think some people are letting some relatively meaningless stats alter their opinions on some of the players in the Vikings secondary, without really knowing for sure.

That's no knock on anyone specifically, but nobody hear can know everything and when it comes to every NFL team, and I think when it comes to the Vikings, I'm the authority on the subject. It's not like I'm one of those people wearing purple blinders either, I have no problems calling out anyone who's not doing their job, like I've done countless times for our horrible QB or TE situations.

For example, I know from watching that Cedric Griffin last year that he is a very good corner, but I also know that at the start of the season teams were throwing his way a lot because he was an inexperienced and teams were avoiding the side of the field with Darren Sharper and Antoine Winfield. Plus, Griffin had Tank "Worthless" Williams over the top of him, which also lead to a lot of teams trying to exploit that weakness.

$0.02,

--Z
            Last edited by ZN0rseman; 07-01-2008, 04:20 PM.
            sigpic
            WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
            PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
            NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
            Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
            Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
            MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
            PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
            Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
            Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
            ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
            Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
            TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
            InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
            Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
            EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
            EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
            Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
            BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
            Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Sorry, but teams looked to exploit a weak secondary and succeeded. Opposing quarterbacks had a 86.3 passer rating against them combined, and that factors in Eli Manning's downright horrific game against them too. Not as bad as some other secondaries that were supposed to be awesome, like say... Denver and San Francisco, but your secondary is still bad.
              - Also known as Dan.
              - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Most viking fans blame there bad secondary on a bad pass rush. We'll see how much better they get with JA.
                Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

I'm done making my case for Tarvaris Jackson. We will see what he does this year...It is pretty much a make or break season for him because this team is built to win now. I'm confident that he will be much improved and lead us deep into the playoffs possibly the superbowl.

Comment

I dont think theres a chance in hell the vikes make the SB.
                    Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
                      I dont think theres a chance in hell the vikes make the SB.
                      I'm sure a million people said that last year about the Giants.
                      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                        They are not the 2000 Ravens.

Comment

Dude what is up with you and your love for the Giants? They had a stretch where they played out of their minds so yes nobody expected that feom a INT throwing QB but they weren't hyped up in the preseason like the Vikings.

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                            Dude what is up with you and your love for the Giants? They had a stretch where they played out of their minds so yes nobody expected that feom a INT throwing QB but they weren't hyped up in the preseason like the Vikings.
                            I don't have love for the Giants. What I said was true. maybe the vikes play out of their minds. The fact of the matter is that this is JULY.

If the Giants could win it last year, then I think the Vikings have a small shot to win it this year. Hey, if you can get pressure on the other teams QB and protect your own, you have a great shot.

Last time I checked the Vikes have the best DE in football on their team and they had the #1 run defense in the NFL last year. I'd say this team definately has a shot.
                            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I don't have love for the Giants. What I said was true. maybe the vikes play out of their minds. The fact of the matter is that this is JULY.

If the Giants could win it last year, then I think the Vikings have a small shot to win it this year. Hey, if you can get pressure on the other teams QB and protect your own, you have a great shot.

Last time I checked the Vikes have the best DE in football on their team and they had the #1 run defense in the NFL last year. I'd say this team definately has a shot.
                              I'm still not willing to give the title of best DE to a douchebag who was in a contract year.

Comment

Working...
                              X