Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayock and Savage- "Play Long at Right Tackle"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,7701431.story

What an interesting article, the part about Dierdorf saying he can play left tackle because he's left handed made me go "WTF?"

I agree with most of this but yeah... the left-handed part was kinda lolz...

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
      I agree with most of this but yeah... the left-handed part was kinda lolz...
      Not necessarily. It was a moot point but I (and this is at a much smaller level) play all positions on the line and I love the right side because it feels natural because I am right handed. You have to train yourself to become comfortable both ways. I know when I'm on the left side my balance is thrown off which leads to less off an advantage off the line. Once you're out of stance it doesn't matter which side you're on but that split second of getting off the line could be the difference of a player isn't comfortable both ways.

I think Long can play LT. It was kind of overrated and over analyzed. Will he be Walter Jones? No. Will he be a Pro Bowler? Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
        I think Long can play LT. It was kind of overrated and over analyzed. Will he be Walter Jones? No. Will he be a Pro Bowler? Probably.
        Opinion but nothing to back it up.

Long got put on his ass three times by Derrick Harvey in the Capital One Bowl. I taped that game. Long was great vs. the run but Harvey owned him vs. the pass a few times because he wasn't balanced in his stance.

Jake Long shouldn't have been even a top 4 pick, much less #1. He's an average athlete.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

You still ranked him as your #1 tackle Matt

Comment

Originally posted by TRICKaz View Post
            You still ranked him as your #1 tackle Matt
            Yes I did. I ranked him as my #1 tackle but I don't think he can play LT. He would have been adequate value in the #5-7 range.

Comment

So you dont think there was an tackle in last years draft worthy of going in the top 5?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                Opinion but nothing to back it up.

Long got put on his ass three times by Derrick Harvey in the Capital One Bowl. I taped that game. Long was great vs. the run but Harvey owned him vs. the pass a few times because he wasn't balanced in his stance.

Jake Long shouldn't have been even a top 4 pick, much less #1. He's an average athlete.
                What can I back it up with? He's a rookie. You can't tell what any rookie will do until they play. He's a fierce run blocker and has prototype size. He can develop his pass blocking skills. Plus the guy's that "killed" him were top 10 picks. Plus look at the division he plays in. 2 3-4 fronts and the Bills. 3-4 fronts are dominated by large defensive lineman. He will have trouble with OLB that rush but he can get coached on pass blocking to improve. I'm not a Long fan but I think people over analyed this. He's a football player. He can improve technically, physically, and mentally. I think he'll prove his doubters wrong but watch everybody call him a bust if he has a poor or average season. It's not too often when a Joe Thomas comes along and dominates. He may need a year or two but that's what you have to do with rookies sometimes.

Comment

Dierdorf must be an extreme idiot. I am right hander and was a very effective Left Tackle because I had great footwork and hand placement. According to that dingle-dork I must have sucked at Left Tackle because I was right handed. He needs fired for being a dumb*ss
                  If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                  Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                    What can I back it up with? He's a rookie. You can't tell what any rookie will do until they play. He's a fierce run blocker and has prototype size. He can develop his pass blocking skills. Plus the guy's that "killed" him were top 10 picks. Plus look at the division he plays in. 2 3-4 fronts and the Bills. 3-4 fronts are dominated by large defensive lineman. He will have trouble with OLB that rush but he can get coached on pass blocking to improve. I'm not a Long fan but I think people over analyed this. He's a football player. He can improve technically, physically, and mentally. I think he'll prove his doubters wrong but watch everybody call him a bust if he has a poor or average season. It's not too often when a Joe Thomas comes along and dominates. He may need a year or two but that's what you have to do with rookies sometimes.
                    Well it all comes down to athleticism for elite LTs. Jake Long has never had it and he never will. You can't improve speed and you can't improve athleticism (if we are being honest).

All players can improve technically, physically, and mentally. Some players get worse.

Again, you aren't backing up your opinion with anything really just "I think he will prove people wrong."

And when Long didn't go up against Gholston or Harvey it was pretty ****ty competition. Look at the highlights on ESPN when they show Jake Long and it is the same ones over and over and over, "Pull block on James Laurinaitis, mauling the great Sir Darean Adams, and some no-name kid from Northwestern."

You get elite speed off the right side 16 weeks a year in the NFL. Long will be an average left tackle, but he will never live up to that #1 pick.

Comment

Well it all comes down to athleticism for elite LTs. Jake Long has never had it and he never will. You can't improve speed and you can't improve athleticism (if we are being honest).

All players can improve technically, physically, and mentally. Some players get worse.

Again, you aren't backing up your opinion with anything really just "I think he will prove people wrong."

And when Long didn't go up against Gholston or Harvey it was pretty ****ty competition. Look at the highlights on ESPN when they show Jake Long and it is the same ones over and over and over, "Pull block on James Laurinaitis, mauling the great Sir Darean Adams, and some no-name kid from Northwestern."

You get elite speed off the right side 16 weeks a year in the NFL. Long will be an average left tackle, but he will never live up to that #1 pick.
                      You can improve speed by small margins but nothing drastic. You can improve flexibility but not overall athleticism. Here is my one argument to back up Long and his pass blocking skills. He's a rock, plain and simple. I saw him on some highlight (remember Matt, this is going to be my first year breaking down film, I'm trying to get used to it by watching NFL Replay and seeing games) and the man can neutralize his opponent. He's strong enough to take the guy and man handle him. If he can get his hands inside the shoulder pads of the end before the defender can swim, rip, or ice pick him, he can stop the defender and put that guy on the ground. If he can recognize his weaknesses and play to his strengths, he can mask his problems by playing to his strengths i.e. His strength, football iq, his hand placement, and most of all putting himself in the best position to not get beat. An example is don't drop back too far too quick, don't play to close to the guard, put yourself in a position to wash him out and let the QB step up into the pocket.

Do you get where I'm coming from?

Comment

Yeah I get where you are coming from. I think you are coming from the school of "No Such Thing As a Bust University" because when you make a comment like that then it can apply to anyone.

Basically what you said is "if he can hide his weaknesses and play to his strengths he will be fine." um this applies to every football player not just Jake Long.

It's a circular argument. You have your opinion and you certainly aren't alone in it since no one but Walter and I had the balls to say it was a horrible selection taking Jake Long #1.

A lot of what you said is true and why I had him rated as a top 8 value, but just because he is really good doesn't mean he is #1 good.

Comment

Yeah I get where you are coming from. I think you are coming from the school of "No Such Thing As a Bust University" because when you make a comment like that then it can apply to anyone.

Basically what you said is "if he can hide his weaknesses and play to his strengths he will be fine." um this applies to every football player not just Jake Long.

It's a circular argument. You have your opinion and you certainly aren't alone in it since no one but Walter and I had the balls to say it was a horrible selection taking Jake Long #1.

A lot of what you said is true and why I had him rated as a top 8 value, but just because he is really good doesn't mean he is #1 good.
                          Can't really label a player a bust before he plays a down in this league. Like I've said before, I like arguing just to argue I'm not a Long fan but he wasn't the #1 pick for no reason. He very well could bust I'm not saying that, I'm just saying I think he's more likely to succeed.

Are you smoking dope dude? No you two weren't. I (along with a bunch of other people I'm sure) thought Chris Long was the guy. Look, don't try that. I bashed Miami for doing that. How big of a weapon would he have been? He comes from a 3-4 system so he's familiar with the scheme. You start him at OLB and trade Taylor and you get another second, maybe to move up and get a LT. Then your defense looks a lot better for the future. And imagine if the kept Taylor? On third and tens put Porter and Taylor at OLB, Long at his college position as 3-4 DE and blitz the f*** out of them. QB's would s*** in their pants. So seriously, don't flatter yourself. Besides Walt was praising Long to goto Atlanta at three so obviously he didn't see him as too bad of a prospect.

And I agree. This was a deep class, but not top heavy. Like I said he was #1 for a reason but in other classes he may not have been #1.

Comment

He was #1 for a reason...

...yeah and so was Alex Smith. Doesn't mean I agree with it. I don't care what other people think. I go by what I think and what I see.

Comment

He was #1 for a reason...

...yeah and so was Alex Smith. Doesn't mean I agree with it. I don't care what other people think. I go by what I think and what I see.
                              Me too. That's why I think I won out the argument. Great debate though.

Comment

Working...
                              X