NFL Dream Team by Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Dream Team by Unit

Similar idea to the individual list of best players by the position and inspired by the many college football mags that list the best teams by specific unit (ex. best LB unit, best RB unit etc.) this is the best possible NFL line-up by each unit.

QB: Indianapolis COLTS (Manning, Sorgi, Who cares?) - Brady and Manning are so superior to every other starting QB that really this has to come down to either the Pats and Colts regardless of who is next on the depth chart behind these two future hall of famers that are absurdly durable. What's the stat? Manning has missed one snap due to injury his entire career?

RB: Washington REDSKINS (Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Sellers)/ Minnesota VIKINGS (Peterson, Taylor, Hicks, Tapeh) - The reason for the split choice is that with the two tight end set so popular and the diminishing role of the FB i thought I should mention that the AD and Chester duo is lethal, however with the 3 deep HB's for the Skins and the pancake monster in sellers the Redskins have arguably have the most complete backfields in football. This would have been a good debate last season with LT/Turner/Neal and AD/Chester/Richardson.

WR/TE: Indianapolis COLTS (Wayne, Harrison, Gonzalez, Hall, Clark, Tamme) - No explanation needed.

OL: Cleveland BROWNS (Thomas, Steinbach, Fraley, Shaffer, Hadnot, Mckinney, Tucker, Friedman) - I'm not exactly a keen talent scout for the guys in the trenches, but Thomas is the heir apparent to Pace/Jones/Ogden and is actually fun to watch and the rest of the O-Line is deep and talented.

DL: Minnesota VIKINGS (Allen, P. Williams, K. Williams, Edwards) - Have we talked about the Vikes D-Line enough yet?

LB: Seattle SEAHAWKS (Peterson, Tatupu, Hill, Lewis, Herring) - Depth is a question mark but the starting three are a dominant force starting with Tatupu who is arguably the best inside 'backer in the NFL and Peterson who is one of the most productive OLB's out there.

DB: Dallas COWBOYS (Newman, Henry, Jones, Jenkins, Williams, Hamlin) - Roy "Horse Collar" Williams has his highly publicized coverage difficulties but he is practically an extra LB in the run game and hits like a tank. If Jones wins a spot across from Newman this unit could be special. I actually gave Oak town a lot of consideration here.

ST: Chicago BEARS (Gould, Maynard, Hester) - Would love to hear some arguments against the Bears having the best special teams unit in the NFL. Hester alone should win this category but Gould and Maynard are two of the best at what they do. Ogbonnoya (sp?) is a loss on the coverage team however. The Browns have a damn good ST unit as well.
    Lord Commander of Walter's Kingsguard
    The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat
    THE WALTAHOLICS - "I'm kind of a maverick and just don't give a shoot."
    THE ANDREA McNULTY GANGBANG - "You come at the king, you best not miss."

There are no men like me. There's only me.

I may be a woman beater, but I ain't no pussy eater.

Sweeter than a jumper on a gay Ray Allen.

NFC East Champion New York Football Giants

You fed fuel into the fire known as IVF by putting Minnesota's DL #1. Can't blame you but you have to sit through an annoying Vikings fan ramble on about how 2008 Vikings D> 2000 Ravens D. I think the Packers D-Line is extremely underrated. Not the best, just underrated.

Comment

Derrick Brooks + Barrett Ruud + Cato June >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Seahawks
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        Derrick Brooks + Barrett Ruud + Cato June >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Seahawks

Agreed.

And I also think Oakland's secondary is better than Dallas'.

Other than those two I agree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
          Agreed.

And I also think Oakland's secondary is better than Dallas'.

Other than those two I agree with them.
          Pac Man was one of the best CBs in the NFL when he was playing with Tennessee.

Terrence Newman is a top 10 CB also. That said, Asohmuga (sp?) and DeAngelo Hall are both top 5 man-man corners.

I gotta take Ken Hamlin over Michael Huff right now. But I also gotta take Gibril Wilson over Dallas' SS whether the overrated Roy Williams or Anthony Henry.

I agree with you Illini I honestly forgot about Oakland.

Comment

yeah i mentioned oaktown. their secondary's success is going to depend on two things, if hall can shut the **** up and be as good as he thinks (this coming from a deangelo fan) and if huff can progress. If Jones reaches his potential forget about it, the cowboys CB depth and talent is unmatched, except for the Eagles who have the enviable dilemma of three pro bowl caliber corners
            The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat

Comment

Tatupu > Ruud
              Peterson > June
              Hill < Brooks

Brooks is a legend but to say the Bucs outclass the Seahawks LB's by the amount you imply with all the greater than signs is just not feasible. the LB unit is up for huge debate (Bears, skins, packers, cowboys etc.) though

Comment

Originally posted by the shock doctor View Post
                Tatupu > Ruud
                Peterson > June
                Hill < Brooks

Brooks is a legend but to say the Bucs outclass the Seahawks LB's by the amount you imply with all the greater than signs is just not feasible. the LB unit is up for huge debate (Bears, skins, packers, cowboys etc.) though
                Tatupu and Ruud are pretty even. I'd take Cato June over Julian Peterson anyday.

Brooks and Hill...no comparison.

Both are very good, but you are vastly underrating Ruud and June here.

Comment

yeah i mentioned oaktown. their secondary's success is going to depend on two things, if hall can shut the **** up and be as good as he thinks (this coming from a deangelo fan) and if huff can progress. If Jones reaches his potential forget about it, the cowboys CB depth and talent is unmatched, except for the Eagles who have the enviable dilemma of three pro bowl caliber corners
                  Hall's mouth has nothing to do with his play. He is one of the NFL's best CBs with his mouth. Maybe you don't like his mouth, but that's a bias you have with his personality vs. his actual play.

Comment

Dallas gets the nod here, I think.

Pacman-Terence Newman are an elite CB Duo. Assume for a moment that Roy Williams is used as a box safety and Anthony Henry as a coverage SS. They'll have Mike Jenkins at Nickelback and Orlando Scandrick, who was a late 3rd round prospect, is also in the mix. He might assume Dimeback roles over Evan Oglesby.

The Raiders can keep up with their starting four, but I think Dallas has much more depth.
                    - Also known as Dan.
                    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Hall's mouth has nothing to do with his play. He is one of the NFL's best CBs with his mouth. Maybe you don't like his mouth, but that's a bias you have with his personality vs. his actual play.
                      If I have any bias towards DeAngelo Hall it's that I'd overrate his abilities since, as aforementioned I'm a big fan of his. All I'm saying is that no one can really deny that as good as Hall has been (top 5-10 shutdown corner) he has not reached the lofty peaks of what he believes he is and that if he just cuts out some of his bull**** and plays football there is no reason why Asamougha/Hall can't blow Bailey/Bly, Samuel/Brown, and Harris/Woodson out of the water. Any good cornerback needs his ego, because it's that confidence and bravado that allows them to go against the best of the best, but Hall can go overboard and as fan I'd like to see the guy shed his "overrated" and "overly self-promoting" labels and reach his potential which could be one of the top three or four cover corners in the league.

Comment

If I have any bias towards DeAngelo Hall it's that I'd overrate his abilities since, as aforementioned I'm a big fan of his. All I'm saying is that no one can really deny that as good as Hall has been (top 5-10 shutdown corner) he has not reached the lofty peaks of what he believes he is and that if he just cuts out some of his bull**** and plays football there is no reason why Asamougha/Hall can't blow Bailey/Bly, Samuel/Brown, and Harris/Woodson out of the water. Any good cornerback needs his ego, because it's that confidence and bravado that allows them to go against the best of the best, but Hall can go overboard and as fan I'd like to see the guy shed his "overrated" and "overly self-promoting" labels and reach his potential which could be one of the top three or four cover corners in the league.
                        For the most part he backs his play up. Every corner talks smack. I'm not saying I'm a huge DHall fan, but you just have a bias against him because you don't like his mouth.

Comment

dude what is this bias you're talking about?

haha I really don't understand what's going on here. I'm saying that a guy, who I'm a fan of, would benefit from concentrating on playing like DeAngelo Hall is the best rather than talking like it?? I've said that he is already easily a top 10 and quite possibly a top 5 cover corner in the NFL, but could truly join the elite class of corners and create something special in the Raiders secondary if he just kept focused. I don't really know what this mystery bias is you are talking about. I'm already saying he is one of the top 5 or 6 CB's, which in my honest opinion is higher than most football "experts" and critics would rank him, and I'm saying that he has all the tools to be great. No where am I proclaiming "DeAngelo Hall talks a lot THEREFORE HE IS BAD AT FOOTBALL!" The guy has a god-like cornerback skill set.

In fact, there are two primary reasons why the guy is one of my fave players in the first place. A) his speed and agility is virtually unmatched B) his ego, the guy knows he has all the talent in the world and he's not afraid to tell you it. I just want him to show it, because his game tailspinned with the Falcons franchise and his ego and mouth began to overshadow his play, and now he has the circumstances to re-settle and dominate.
                          Last edited by McNulty; 07-03-2008, 05:31 AM.

Comment

by the way I just double checked and the guy's still going to be 24 when the season starts, which is only a couple months older than me. The guy is a 2-time pro bowler who just signed for 70 mil and I'm defending his honor, or I guess flaming him with my bias in Matt's eyes, at 3 in the morning... so sad.

What's his urban legend? That he ran a 4.2 something when he was 16 or something along those lines?

Comment

You just keep knocking him because of his mouth, when his mouth has nothing to do with his actual game...or actually it has a positive effect on it if anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X