No Supplemental Draft This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Supplemental Draft This Year

The NFL will not hold a supplemental draft in 2008 due to a lack of participants.

"There were rumors that USC ILB Rey Maualuga, Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew, and Mississippi State OT Michael Brown might apply, but they decided against it. Maualuga has a chance to be a top-15 pick in next year's draft. Chargers DB Paul Oliver and Ravens OT Jared Gaither were the only players selected in last year's supplemental draft."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...al-draft_N.htm
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Wow. I'm surprised Rey and Brandon even thought of it. They'll be first rounders next year if they play up to potential, Rey a top 5-10.

Comment

How does the supplemental draft work?

Comment

Originally posted by TRICKaz View Post
        It works like this: Players enter the supplement draft. They get selected by a team if they get selected at all. The team's who pick a player have to wager a pick from next years draft. A 1st round pick beats a second, a second beats a third, etc. Who ever has the highest bid wins and forefitsthat round pick next draft. If the top team's tie (let's say the top bid was a 3rd) the team with the worst record gets the player.

Comment

Originally posted by TRICKaz View Post
          Per Wikipedia:

In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003; thus, in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick.)

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his favorite team, the Cleveland Browns. They advised Kosar to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a recurrence of this incident.

As of 2007, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 38 players have been taken since the NFL instituted the Supplemental Draft in 1977.

Comment

Hmmm. Too bad.
            If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
            Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

So, I guess guys like Brandon Ore and that WR from Syracuse are just free agents then?

Comment

Who cares?

Comment

Suplimental Draft is good to give a few extra players oppertunity. I dont like the move, but many will.
                  If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                  Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                    Suplimental Draft is good to give a few extra players oppertunity. I dont like the move, but many will.
                    The Supplemental Draft has produced 2 probowlers out of the 9 players selected in the past 10 years. Chargers NT Jamal Williams and Seahawks offensive guard Mike Wahle

So I'm not one to knock it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire
                      Yeah and Mario Williams didn't make the pro bowl yet roy williams did. Just saying let's please not use the pro bowl to determine how good a player is.

But I agree with you a supplemental draft is worthless most of the time. The players should just become free agents and sign for league minimums.
                      Eh, talented but troubled players come out so I don't knock it I mean the last two years have produced next year starters Ahmaed Brooks and Jared Gaither and one that should in Paul Oliver.

Comment

So then why not just let them be free agents and sign for league minimums?
                        I guess if you get drafted in the supp. draft they're guarnteed a contract. Other than that I don't know why they hold one.

Comment

I've never heard players taken in the supp draft are guaranteed a contract. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard it.
                          I assumed. I guess I'm wrong because I was just making an assumption off of the actual draft. Besides if a team drafts a player and forfeits a pick for next year of course they're going to sign them.

Comment

Yeah and Mario Williams didn't make the pro bowl yet roy williams did. Just saying let's please not use the pro bowl to determine how good a player is.

But I agree with you a supplemental draft is worthless most of the time. The players should just become free agents and sign for league minimums.
                            You always mention Mario Williams not making the Pro Bowl. He got like 3.5 sacks the night before the Pro Bowl voting ended.

Comment

Hey! Wasn't Bernie Kosar taken in the Supplemental Draft???

Sorry I'll stop laughing now.

Comment

Working...
                              X