LSU: QB Rumors face Leewards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSU: QB Rumors face Leewards

There is nothing official yet, but winds from Baton Rouge, including a blog post on ESPN.com by Chris Low, have named redshirt freshman Jarrett Lee the starter.

This is surprising because Harvard transfer Andrew Hatch appeared to be the less risky of the two. But while Andrew Hatch would make a better story, Jarrett Lee would probably make a better quarterback.

Jarrett Lee was not one of the 2007 class's QB stars (those would be Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett) but he was the #15 ranked QB by Scout and the #7 pro-style QB by Rivals. Both ranked him in the top 150 overall and gave him four stars.

Lee's strength lies in his arm. Some believe Lee has the strongest and most accurate arm LSU has seen since JaMarcus Russell (and yes, that includes You-Know-Who). Passing-wise, Lee has been a notch ahead of Hatch from the getgo. Lee has a great release, throws tight spirals, and has great accuracy, both short and long. Lee is not a huge threat on the ground, but his speed is underrated, and word has it he has used the offseason to get faster.

Some LSU fans are already discouraged by the rumors, and some want Hatch to be the starter, but his selection gives me hope. Les Miles is known for choosing older, experienced guys first, but for those who do get named starter as early as freshman year (like Ciron Black, left tackle from game one his freshman year), it's usually because they deserve it. Miles would not make Lee starter if he didn't think he could get the job done.

Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford are two recent success stories of redshirt freshmen QBs who succeeded. It is not guaranteed that Jarrett Lee will be as successful as them, but like McCoy and Bradford, he does fall into a great situation. The O-Line is one of the best in the nation, there's a talented stable of runningbacks, and receivers like Brandon LaFell, Demetrius Byrd, and tight end Richard Dickson will make the target easy.

The best thing about Jarrett Lee is, if he's good, LSU will have a fine QB for the next four years. If he isn't, well, here comes Russell Shepard.
    This is my signature.

No further comments? Nobody disagrees with me?
    This is my signature.

Comment

This isn't an LSU forum.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

well, I didn't see the LSU forum in the menu, so I thought this would be the best fit because it says NFL, College Football, picks and draft forum.

Where should this one go, oh mighty Matt? I need to know, so I can copy and paste.
        This is my signature.

Comment

It belongs here... Matt's simply saying that no one really cares.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
          HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Jarrett Lee will make you care.
            This is my signature.

Comment

I do. Nice breakdown. If he performs well he could up the stock of Williams, Byrd, and LaFell. If not, then their stock will drop. Obviously.

Not to mention win a national championship with the overall balance their team has.

Comment

Thanks! Yes, our team is pretty balanced.

If LSU's two Matts (Mauck and Flynn) proved anything, it's that LSU doesn't need a superstar behind center to go all the way (actually, I don't think either was THAT BAD, but neither was all that great), which is good, because LSU probably won't have one this year. Gary Crowton knows how to make an offense move and get into the endzone, and on his first year at LSU, he broke many LSU records in total offense and scoring offense. With Matt Flynn. Crowton will know how to use Lee's strengths and minimize Lee's weaknesses. I have a good feeling about this kid.
                This is my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by supremeworldemperor View Post
                  Thanks! Yes, our team is pretty balanced.

If LSU's two Matts (Mauck and Flynn) proved anything, it's that LSU doesn't need a superstar behind center to go all the way (actually, I don't think either was THAT BAD, but neither was all that great), which is good, because LSU probably won't have one this year. Gary Crowton knows how to make an offense move and get into the endzone, and on his first year at LSU, he broke many LSU records in total offense and scoring offense. With Matt Flynn. Crowton will know how to use Lee's strengths and minimize Lee's weaknesses. I have a good feeling about this kid.
                  I have a quick question: How did it feel when Kentucky beat you all last year and I stormed the field?

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                    I have a quick question: How did it feel when Kentucky beat you all last year and I stormed the field?
                    Winning National Championship>Losing to Kentucky

Comment

I know. When does Kentucky ever win though? When do they ever win against AP #1's? It's rare so I overexagerate great wins.

Comment

It's stupid the UK students rushed the field vs. Louisville. Thats a joke. YOu don't rush the field against a rival.

lol rushing the field against Georgia was stupid too. Just because you beat a team once in 20 years, I'm sorry that's not enough to rush. If you are going to rush a team, they have to be top 5 and can't be Louisville.

UK fans in general are ****ing weak. They dont get loud at all. Have no clue what it means to be a fan. I went to Sanford Stadium (UGA) and my god what a difference. Every person in there stood and yelled for 4 quarters. I couldn't believe it. UK fans don't even get hyped for LSU...it was pretty quiet during that game.

I got my section of the student section hyped every game, it's a shame most UK students don't have a clue what having fun means. They look down on student sections that get loud and rowdy (Duke). They act like they are better than everyone with their hands crossed and quiet the entire game (ever watch a Rupp Arena game?).

UK fans = overrated. It's true.

Comment

UK fans are pretty loud for B-Ball arn't they? Maybe they are used to there football program sucking they don't even care.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                            UK fans are pretty loud for B-Ball arn't they? Maybe they are used to there football program sucking they don't even care.
                            Most defenitly but we quit once the team gets down by like 10. It's sad. NC, Duke (though rare), Florida, Louisville, and Tennessee: Good God. If we're winning we are loud. Crazy loud.

We are extremely obnoxious and drunk all of the time. I saw this guy at UL vs. UK, drunk out of his mind, yelling at a 13 year old two rows down.

Comment

UK fans aren't loud for basketball at all. The Erupptionzone most of the time is very quiet.

Students stand there, arms crossed, quiet unless UK goes on a 10-0 run.

Comment

Working...
                              X