Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN/Blue Ribbon Analysis of Ohio State - Controversial

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ESPN/Blue Ribbon Analysis of Ohio State - Controversial

    ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all Division I-A teams.

    Today, they discuss Ohio State.

    http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insid...3fid%3d3479660

    Overall, I think the story is fairly well balanced, and does a good job of analyzing tOSU's strengths, and question marks.

    Then, in the grade section, they give tOSU the following marks:

    Offense B+
    Special teams C+
    Defense B
    Intangibles A-


    All of these seem a little low, and a bit puzzling, considering the overall tone of the article. I think the Defense is worth a Solid A, and the Offense possibly an A- at worst.

    Discuss.
    sigpic

    ------------------------------------------------
    Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

    ''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

    ''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

    - NYTimes, July 20, 2000

  • #2
    Should be:

    Offense A-
    Special Teams B-
    Defense A-
    Intangibles A+


    Then too, that;s just me.
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

    Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

    Comment


    • #3
      Intangibles can't be A+ if you get crushed in back to back Championship games. I'm sorry but it is true.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

      Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        Intangibles can't be A+ if you get crushed in back to back Championship games. I'm sorry but it is true.
        Touche Matthew...


        R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
        HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm also unclear how ESPN/Blue Ribbon could give OSU an "A-" for intangibles, while giving them B's and C's for everything else.

          When I think of a team that deserves an "A" for intangibles, I think of Miami in the 1980's -- with Michael Irvin and Co. They used to say "we would win games when we got off the bus." Pure intimidation led to many victories for those who could not (would not?) stand up to them.

          For a team who lost 2 of their last 3 games, and got crushed in both of their last 2 bowl games -- intimidation is the last thing other teams will be feeling.

          (Unless they are Michigan, in which case, it will be justified).
          sigpic

          ------------------------------------------------
          Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

          ''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

          ''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

          - NYTimes, July 20, 2000

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah you guys are right... why the hell would a team who have been to two straight national championships and return a Big Ten Champ team intact (with the exception of Gholston, hello meet Wilson, Heyward, Rose) get an A for intangibles. Do you guys think that Laurinaitis, Jenkins, Robiskie, Boone etc. returned to cry and be depressed about the past two BCS title games. They're coming back because they're pissed off and all they want to do is crush everyone on their way to the title. It's easy too say they have no intimidation factor as you sit and type on your computer, but i'm pretty damn sure that every HC and co-oridnator in the nation is pretty damn scared of a team that boasts arguably the best RB in the nation, a top 5 OL, an experienced set of receivers, a QB with a big arm and big game experience and probably the best Defense in the country. Not too mention the #1 recruit in the nation, who is supposed to operate much like Tebow did for Florida in their National Championship run. I'm sure that high intangibles ranking is due to the fact that three quarters of their team has played in a least one title game and they're keeping in tact their entire core of leadership. Yes, whoever makes it out of the SEC will undoubtedly be the favorite but I'm so sick of hearing about the bowl game choking of Ohio State.

            The winner of the USC-OSU game will take on the survivor of the SEC, which will likely be Florida or Georgia, or LSU again if Lee or Hatch work out. I think LSU will be playing with considerable chip on their shoulder given that most experts have already handed Florida and Georgia the SEC while they are still defending national champs with a very talented roster.
            Lord Commander of Walter's Kingsguard
            The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat
            THE WALTAHOLICS - "I'm kind of a maverick and just don't give a shoot."
            THE ANDREA McNULTY GANGBANG - "You come at the king, you best not miss."


            There are no men like me. There's only me.

            I may be a woman beater, but I ain't no pussy eater.

            Sweeter than a jumper on a gay Ray Allen.

            NFC East Champion New York Football Giants

            Comment


            • #7
              Ummm...I don't think you read my post at all.

              I pointed out that the original article (posted on ESPN Insider) gave tOSU a grade of B+ for offense, B for Defense (which I said was too low in my original post), a C for Special Teams, but then an A- for Intangibles.

              My question: If their Offense and Defense only grades out at a B, what the hell can be so special about your intangibles to merit giving them your highest grade?

              My beef was with the article, not tOSU.

              Frankly, I hope they grade out as A+ in every aspect in every publication.

              I hope that every media outlet calls them a 10+ point favorite over USC on 9/13.

              It will make it all the more fun when we smash them back to irrelevance -- as we did with OU in the 2004-5 National Title Game.
              sigpic

              ------------------------------------------------
              Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

              ''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

              ''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

              - NYTimes, July 20, 2000

              Comment


              • #8
                I wasn't commenting solely on your post, it was a potpourri of the replies in general.

                But yeah I agree with you that if you're gonna be a hard ass ranking the O and D then the super high intangibles grade is questionable
                Lord Commander of Walter's Kingsguard
                The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat
                THE WALTAHOLICS - "I'm kind of a maverick and just don't give a shoot."
                THE ANDREA McNULTY GANGBANG - "You come at the king, you best not miss."


                There are no men like me. There's only me.

                I may be a woman beater, but I ain't no pussy eater.

                Sweeter than a jumper on a gay Ray Allen.

                NFC East Champion New York Football Giants

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by the shock doctor View Post
                  Yeah you guys are right... why the hell would a team who have been to two straight national championships and return a Big Ten Champ team intact (with the exception of Gholston, hello meet Wilson, Heyward, Rose) get an A for intangibles. Do you guys think that Laurinaitis, Jenkins, Robiskie, Boone etc. returned to cry and be depressed about the past two BCS title games. They're coming back because they're pissed off and all they want to do is crush everyone on their way to the title. It's easy too say they have no intimidation factor as you sit and type on your computer, but i'm pretty damn sure that every HC and co-oridnator in the nation is pretty damn scared of a team that boasts arguably the best RB in the nation, a top 5 OL, an experienced set of receivers, a QB with a big arm and big game experience and probably the best Defense in the country. Not too mention the #1 recruit in the nation, who is supposed to operate much like Tebow did for Florida in their National Championship run. I'm sure that high intangibles ranking is due to the fact that three quarters of their team has played in a least one title game and they're keeping in tact their entire core of leadership. Yes, whoever makes it out of the SEC will undoubtedly be the favorite but I'm so sick of hearing about the bowl game choking of Ohio State.

                  The winner of the USC-OSU game will take on the survivor of the SEC, which will likely be Florida or Georgia, or LSU again if Lee or Hatch work out. I think LSU will be playing with considerable chip on their shoulder given that most experts have already handed Florida and Georgia the SEC while they are still defending national champs with a very talented roster.
                  I think you are talking to the person that ranked OSU #1 preseason. I don't think they should get an A+ in intangibles. I think A- or B+ is fair.


                  You can't say a team has A+ intangibles if they get their assed kicked when it matters most. Please debate this. I didn't say A, I said A+. If you have A+ intangibles, then you should be very competitive when it matters most...and Ohio State hasn't been the past 2 years. That's simply not debatable.
                  2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                  Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    Intangibles can't be A+ if you get crushed in back to back Championship games. I'm sorry but it is true.
                    True, but at least they got there. Getting to two in a row must mean something.
                    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

                    Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                      True, but at least they got there. Getting to two in a row must mean something.
                      Yeah but how did they get there?

                      Look, I'll be the first to say I think the Big XII, SEC, Big East, ACC have it wrong with conference championship games. I'd rather just see conference play and i think the Conf. Ship game is pointless.

                      Anyways, OSU will always have an easier road and so will USC.

                      This can be remedied by all the other conferences getting rid of their worthless championship games.

                      They got there, and granted, the past two years OSU were very good teams (I would still go back and rank OSU #2 after the loss to LSU), but I'm not giving them an A or A+ in intangibles until they win some huge games.

                      It all starts September 13. Let the madness of CFB begin!!!!
                      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                      Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                        Yeah but how did they get there?

                        Look, I'll be the first to say I think the Big XII, SEC, Big East, ACC have it wrong with conference championship games. I'd rather just see conference play and i think the Conf. Ship game is pointless.

                        Anyways, OSU will always have an easier road and so will USC.

                        This can be remedied by all the other conferences getting rid of their worthless championship games.

                        They got there, and granted, the past two years OSU were very good teams (I would still go back and rank OSU #2 after the loss to LSU), but I'm not giving them an A or A+ in intangibles until they win some huge games.

                        It all starts September 13. Let the madness of CFB begin!!!!
                        Point Taken. Would be wiling to lower it to an A but they aren't the Buffalo Bills of Collage Football yet.
                        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

                        Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                          True, but at least they got there. Getting to two in a row must mean something.
                          Not when you play in the famously overrated Big 10, and your out of conference opponents are Youngstown State, Washington, Akron and Kent.

                          The only reason OSU made it last year: they had 1 loss with the easiest schedule of all the teams in contention for the title game.
                          sigpic

                          ------------------------------------------------
                          Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

                          ''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

                          ''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

                          - NYTimes, July 20, 2000

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X