Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett Favre = Attention Whore

Ya think??

Out here in the Bay Area, we are used to prima donna athletes overstaying their welcome in the spotlight.

Whether or not their skills have deteriorated beyond all usefulness is besides the point: once the player puts their own personal needs ahead of the franchise and the team, they become a cancer that can weaken or destroy a franchise for a long time.

How a franchise handles this situation can literally be the difference between "life and death".

Let me give you two (admittely imperfect) examples from our backyard:

1) Once upon a time, there was a mighty quarterback by the name of Joe Montana. As you may remember, he had quite a career, winning 4 Superbowls in the span of 8 years. Many people considered (consider?) him to be the best QB in the history of the league.

Towards the end of Joe's career, the 49ers found themselves with a fairly talented backup QB, guy by the name of Steve Young.

Towards the end of his career with the 49ers, Joe found himself with a serious injury. Rather than waiting for Joe to rehab, and seeing if he could regain his former glory, the 49ers amazingly allowed Joe to finish his career in a Kansas City Chiefs uniform, and let the Steve Young era begin.

Even though it was controversial at the time, to allow the greatest QB in the game to play elsewhere, the 49ers clearly never regretted it, as Steve Young would lead them to another SuperBowl ring and his own HOF career.

Now granted, Aaron Rodgers isn't Steve Young, but then again: Brett Favre isn't Joe Montana. Joe won the SB only a few years before being let go, and led his team to the title game the year before his major injury. He was far from being washed up, injury or not.

2) Another sports team in San Francisco, known as the Giants, had an aging superstar by the name of Barry Bonds, who stayed looong past his welcome -- even as he pursued the all time HR record.

Like Montana, Bonds was not useless in his final year. He still led the team in home runs, and the league in OBP. He also sold more tickets than probably any Giant in history -- and probably more than any other MLB player that year.

Rather than pursuing an intelligent rebuilding process, the Giants continued to lavish ridiculous contracts on Bonds, while mortaging the franchise by surrounding him with expensive, creaky veterans past their prime.

When Bonds finally hit the end of his career in SF, they found themselves with an overpaid and underperforming group of has-beens, and no money to rebuild for the future (granted, the Zito contract had more than its fair share of blame here).

The Giants showed the road map for what lies ahead for the Packers if they cave into Attention Whore Favre. As great a QB as he has been throughout his career, and as great a season as he had last year (but not so great the prior year), bringing him back would be entirely destructive to the Packers organization.

As with Bonds, it would say to the other players that one man is above the team, one man is above the franchise. That is not the way Favre played during his career, but that would definitely be the new reality.

I 100% guarantee, if Favre comes back and starts, ARod will leave the team when his contract is up. They would be mortgaging the next 5-10 years of their franchise for one last hurrah.

Time to follow the 49ers plan and let him go -- either to play elsewhere, or let him ride the pine (money be damned).
    sigpic

------------------------------------------------
    Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

- NYTimes, July 20, 2000

Awesome, I woke up this morning and said, "Boy, I sure hope there are multiple Brett Favre topics that all basically regard the same subject."

MY WISH CAME TRUE!

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanSteelerBear View Post
      Ya think??

Out here in the Bay Area, we are used to prima donna athletes overstaying their welcome in the spotlight.

Whether or not their skills have deteriorated beyond all usefulness is besides the point: once the player puts their own personal needs ahead of the franchise and the team, they become a cancer that can weaken or destroy a franchise for a long time.

How a franchise handles this situation can literally be the difference between "life and death".

1) Once upon a time, there was a mighty quarterback by the name of Joe Montana. As you may remember, he had quite a career, winning 4 Superbowls in the span of 8 years. Many people considered (consider?) him to be the best QB in the history of the league.

Towards the end of Joe's career, the 49ers found themselves with a fairly talented backup QB, guy by the name of Steve Young.

Towards the end of his career with the 49ers, Joe found himself with a serious injury. Rather than waiting for Joe to rehab, and seeing if he could regain his former glory, the 49ers amazingly allowed Joe to finish his career in a Kansas City Chiefs uniform, and let the Steve Young era begin.

Even though it was controversial at the time, to allow the greatest QB in the game to play elsewhere, the 49ers clearly never regretted it, as Steve Young would lead them to another SuperBowl ring and his own HOF career.

Now granted, Aaron Rodgers isn't Steve Young, but then again: Brett Favre isn't Joe Montana. Joe won the SB only a few years before being let go, and led his team to the title game the year before his major injury. He was far from being washed up, injury or not.

2) Another sports team in San Francisco, known as the Giants, had an aging superstar by the name of Barry Bonds, who stayed looong past his welcome -- even as he pursued the all time HR record.

Like Montana, Bonds was not useless in his final year. He still led the team in home runs, and the league in OBP. He also sold more tickets than probably any Giant in history -- and probably more than any other MLB player that year.

Rather than pursuing an intelligent rebuilding process, the Giants continued to lavish ridiculous contracts on Bonds, while mortaging the franchise by surrounding him with expensive, creaky veterans past their prime.

When Bonds finally hit the end of his career in SF, they found themselves with an overpaid and underperforming group of has-beens, and no money to rebuild for the future (granted, the Zito contract had more than its fair share of blame here).

The Giants showed the road map for what lies ahead for the Packers if they cave into Attention Whore Favre. As great a QB as he has been throughout his career, and as great a season as he had last year (but not so great the prior year), bringing him back would be entirely destructive to the Packers organization.

As with Bonds, it would say to the other players that one man is above the team, one man is above the franchise. That is not the way Favre played during his career, but that would definitely be the new reality.

I 100% guarantee, if Favre comes back and starts, ARod will leave the team when his contract is up. They would be mortgaging the next 5-10 years of their franchise for one last hurrah.

Time to follow the 49ers plan and let him go -- either to play elsewhere, or let him ride the pine (money be damned).

....I know.

Comment

Exactly. I have been saying this all along...He is all about himself.

He thinks he is the GM or something. Get me Randy Moss, resign Rivera and "Whale", get me Steve Marriuci.

I don't want this media circus any where near the Vikings.

Great sig by the way.

Comment

I agree they should release him rather than dragging this thing on. Don't you see what is happening here. Brett wants to play for Minnesota because he is pissed at the front office (Ted Thompson) of Green Bay, and he know he has a super shot at a SB in Minnesota. GB is buying time. Now filing a grievance with the Vikings for allegedly talking to Favre about coming to Minnesota. In other words they are buying time, keeping Roger Goodell from reinstating Favre until as late as possible. Not releasing him so he can sign on with their hated rival, the Vikings, so Favre has less time to train and get in sync with the Vikings offense. This is all a game. Just like lawyers filing appeals and motions. They are just buying time. Ultimately the Packers will have to release Favre because they cannot afford to pay his salary, but they will do it at the last possible second.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
            Exactly. I have been saying this all along...He is all about himself.

He thinks he is the GM or something. Get me Randy Moss, resign Rivera and "Whale", get me Steve Marriuci.

I don't want this media circus any where near the Vikings.

Great sig by the way.
            Yes. I am sure a guy who has 'ANTI-FAVRE' doesn't want Favre on his team just because he is a media circus. And I understand why you like the Signature with a picture of Favre saying 'ATTENTION WHORE' on it. You are the apitamy of an example of a biased person.
            sigpic

Comment

Bret Favre=QB

I hope this in-depth analysis gets us through our trying times.

Comment

And with Bonds gone, Fred Lewis (though a right fielder) is now the future of the Giants offense. He'll score so many runs and hit for a high average. Too bad they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanSteelerBear View Post
                  Ya think??

Unlike Montana, Favre has started every game since his first start as a Packer. He has never been out a whole game for any injury.

ARod? You are saying Aaron Rogers will set the team back 5 to 10 years if he leaves???? Uhhhhhhhhhhh........ No. That is absurd. They drafted two QB's this year for a reason. I don't think a 3 year QB that has never started is going to set a team back 5 to 10 years. Even if you think the 24th overall pick from 3 years ago is the next Peyton Manning.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SuperT View Post
                    Yes. I am sure a guy who has 'ANTI-FAVRE' doesn't want Favre on his team just because he is a media circus. And I understand why you like the Signature with a picture of Favre saying 'ATTENTION WHORE' on it. You are the apitamy of an example of a biased person.
                    Drrr!

I'm bias because I'm a Viking fan and don't want the QB of our hated rival coming to our team and being a media circus. Talk to any TRUE Viking fan and they will say the same exact thing.

No, Norseman is not a true Viking fan because he hates Tarvaris Jackson, loves Kyle Orton, Brett Favre, probably Jon Kitna and Rex Grossman.

Comment

I don't care who he is out for. Everyone is always out for image and satisfying everyone else. Whether it is the media, news highlights, family, friends. Let the man shout ME ME ME! for once in his life.
                      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                      Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                        Awesome, I woke up this morning and said, "Boy, I sure hope there are multiple Brett Favre topics that all basically regard the same subject."

MY WISH CAME TRUE!
                        My thoughts exactly...

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
                        HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                          Drrr!

I'm bias because I'm a Viking fan and don't want the QB of our hated rival coming to our team and being a media circus. Talk to any TRUE Viking fan and they will say the same exact thing.

No, Norseman is not a true Viking fan because he hates Tarvaris Jackson, loves Kyle Orton, Brett Favre, probably Jon Kitna and Rex Grossman.
                          Drrrr!

The more likely scenario is that he is a true Vikings fan and that he doesn't want to see the Vikings SuperBowl hopes destroyed by one man. Okay, two men. The quarterback and his moron of a coach whos job depends on the quarterbacks success. Tell me this, if the Vikings had a chance to get Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Tom Brady, or any other QB that is good, would you say they should do it, or stick with the awesome Tavaris Jackson because he is the Vikings best hope of going to the SuperBowl? Ultimately, that is what every fan wants their team to do, right? Or do you just want Tavaris Jackson to succeed? Inquiring minds want to know.
                          sigpic

Comment

i love that picture of favre in the sig.

Comment

The Man Just Wants to Work

Let me just say this. I think this whole media circus and blitz going on in Green Bay is ridiculous. All these experts on ESPN and the NFL Network chiming in with their winded opinions saying Favre should either remain retired or he should be allowed to play. This entire dog & pony show is...bleh!

So with that being said, my point of view is this. The dude (Favre) has known and played football since childhood. It was the one thing which he held close because it was something he did with his dad a lot. It's not like he worked at Winn Dixie or something and played collegiate/professional football as a hobby. So here we have this 38 year old dude who retired from the game. How many 38-year old's do you know are in retirement? How many times can you count where you've made a decision, thought about it, then decided to yourself "I think I change my mind" or "this isn't for me"?

So Farve doesn't like retirement and wants to play. Hey, go for it. You think he's the only one in America who retired from their job/work, and after a couple of months sitting at home and/or tending to their gardens felt the urge to go back to work? No. If the prior employer doesn't hire you back, you go and apply to another organization. How would you feel if people were to tell you to sit your ass home and stay retired? I'm sure you'd get pissed and tell them to shut up. So, does he have to play for Green Bay? Hell no! Does Green Bay owe him their starting job? Nope. The easy route would be if Green Bay does not need him (which obviously means they don't want to hire him back), then Favre should be free to apply to another organization, whether it's a competitor or not. Don't you see something wrong with an entity prohibiting someone from working? Hence, the source for the media circus going on.

If Green Bay feels Favre is "old" and "not the same anymore", then they shouldn't have any reservations to release the dude. Even if he signs with division rival Minnesota, if he's as "old" and useless as they believe him to be, then they shouldn't have any concerns about him on their roster. In fact, if anything else, Farve will sabotage their squad during their week 1 match-up because he's "old" and useless. Farve has stated he understands the Packers have moved on without him. He asked them to trade him. It'd be one thing if Favre came out and told the Packers to sit Rodgers and give him is starting job back or he'll sue him, but the dude acknowledges the Packers are no longer his team and he wants to move on. He just wants to play. What the hell is wrong with that?

I'm not riding the "Farve needs to stay retired" or the "Farve deserves the starting QB job in Green Bay band wagon. It does amaze me though watching all these people hopping aboard one or the other. My view is, the dude just wants to work (in his case, play football). No one should be prohibited from working in his chosen career. I understand he's under contract. As we all know, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. A team can cut a player anytime they want and owe the player nothing other than their signing bonus, which is paid in advanced. So if Green Bay does not need him, then they should either trade him or cut him, as they've done other players. Favre won't be the first, or the last, player they've cut in mid-contract.
                              sigpic
                              'GRD Vypers' ready to roll in '08!!

Comment

Working...
                              X