Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More ESPN poor reporting/analysis (John Clayton)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ESPN poor reporting/analysis (John Clayton)

Clayton previously said there is no way GB will trade Favre to an NFC team, but now he reniggs on it even ruling out Redskins (shocker) and Panthers won't get involved.

So I guess that leaves...you guessed it the bucs which he doesn't mention.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...2=stateChanged

What can happen is that the Packers could allow Favre the chance to shop himself in a trade to non NFC North teams. It's not out of the question for Thompson to say Favre can only offer himself to AFC teams, but chances of getting an AFC bidder is remote. NFC teams are the only true option, and the Redskins and Panthers are two teams that will not get involved.
    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

What a joke. Nobody wants this whore.

It looks like the only possible destinations are the Vikings, Bears, and Bucs.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
      What a joke. Nobody wants this whore.

It looks like the only possible destinations are the Vikings, Bears, and Bucs.
      Why are the Bears a destination? They don't have much talent on offense.

Which leaves Vikings and Bucs. I think we can leave on Baltimore but PuppyPuncher may be onto something that they can't afford him. Remember that Ed Reed makes 3.6M in 2009.

We can eliminate the Vikings because they are NFCN and the Bucs will make a trade offer for Favre.

7th round pick + Garcia for Favre...I'd go nuts.

Comment

Yeah, Vikings are not an option either.

Here are the options...Bucs, Packers, Retired.

Comment

It's not going to happen but I would love to see him on the Jets. I've gotten sick of him the past few years but I'm intrigued to see him over here in New York. Jet games would be a lot more exciting. Favre in Shottenheimer's offenese would be pretty funny too.

Comment

Originally posted by EL Guapo View Post
            It's not going to happen but I would love to see him on the Jets. I've gotten sick of him the past few years but I'm intrigued to see him over here in New York. Jet games would be a lot more exciting. Favre in Shottenheimer's offenese would be pretty funny too.
            Favre isn't playing in the same division as the Patriots, or on a not-very-good team to begin with.

Comment

Would Favre on the Bills make more sense for ya Matt?
              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                Would Favre on the Bills make more sense for ya Matt?
                Absolutely not. Bills are going forward, and Trent Edwards was great last year. Bringing Favre into a lot of locker rooms (maybe even the Bucs) breaks up the morale/chemistry a bit.

Bills with Favre still aren't beating the Patriots. Therefore it's a pretty useless addition, they have to see what they got with Edwards. It would make zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  Why are the Bears a destination? They don't have much talent on offense.

Which leaves Vikings and Bucs. I think we can leave on Baltimore but PuppyPuncher may be onto something that they can't afford him. Remember that Ed Reed makes 3.6M in 2009.

We can eliminate the Vikings because they are NFCN and the Bucs will make a trade offer for Favre.

7th round pick + Garcia for Favre...I'd go nuts.
                  Ray Lewis is like 10 mill against the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    Absolutely not. Bills are going forward, and Trent Edwards was great last year. Bringing Favre into a lot of locker rooms (maybe even the Bucs) breaks up the morale/chemistry a bit.

Bills with Favre still aren't beating the Patriots. Therefore it's a pretty useless addition, they have to see what they got with Edwards. It would make zero sense.
                    Ok then I don't see how Favre makes sense on the Jets. They are going forward with Kellen Clemens who I don't see why people dislike so much. He lost all his confidence after getting killed all season behind a crappy line. I see bringing in Favre as a step backwards.

Yes I compared KC to TE in terms of young QBs.
                    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I agree siena. Favre on the Jets makes 0 sense also (I've never mentioned the Jets as a suitor for Favre btw). If PuppyPuncher is right about the Ravens (and it seems like a logical argument if they want to extend Scott, Brown, etc.) then I don't see it happening, plus they have Joe Flacco.

That truly leaves only Tampa Bay in the picture for Brett Favre, and imo it is either Bucs, Packers, or actual retirement.

Comment

I think you guys are eliminating the Vikings too easily. According to Peter King, Favre will most likely be a Viking and I tend to agree. There are no indications that he would end up anywhere else.
                        sigpic
                        WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
                        PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
                        NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
                        Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
                        Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
                        MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
                        PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
                        Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
                        Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
                        ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
                        Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
                        TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
                        InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
                        Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
                        EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
                        EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
                        Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
                        BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
                        Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
                          I think you guys are eliminating the Vikings too easily. According to Peter King, Favre will most likely be a Viking and I tend to agree. There are no indications that he would end up anywhere else.
                          Put yourself in Ted Thompson's shoes. Here are two options

1) Release Favre and he goes to an in-divison foe with a deadly supporting cast on offense.

2) Trade to Tampa for a 7th round pick and Jeff Garcia (as a backup to Rodgers).

And I said 7th rounder just to show that even GB would take that over releasing him. If Gruden and the Bucs make themselves available, this is an easy decision for Green Bay. They play Tampa once next year and play Minnesota twice. Plus even in they lose to Tampa, still a very good chance they win the North and go to the playoffs.

In this trade, they also acquire veteran Jeff Garcia to backup Rodgers. If you release Favre you don't get that extreme value. Brian Brohm might not be ready to go, but Garcia is reliable to win games in a WCO.

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post

He didn't say he would most likely be a Viking. He said the Vikings were probably #1 on Favre's list.

King was on NFL Total Access a while ago and he said Tampa seems like the most logical choice.

Comment

I'm actually starting to think that Favre is either going to stay retired or stay in GB and call their bluff to see if they actually have him backup Rogers. Hopefully this just totally screws up the chemistry of the Packers.

Comment

Working...
                              X