Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supremeworldemperor
    replied
    I'm somewhat cheering for the guy and I hope he does well. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    Originally posted by supremeworldemperor View Post
    I believed Jake's strength would make up for a slight lack of athleticism. He did 37 reps on the 225-lb bench press, which is actually better than Joe Thomas last year (he did 28). Is athleticism that much more important than strength for an offensive linemen? If that's so, Herman Johnson's in trouble.
    There is no doubt in anyone's mind that this guy could become a great right tackle. But the problem is that he is supposed to be a good left tackle. Strength is not as important as athleticism. Because your strength will mean jack when guys are running around you. Herman Johnson can get away with having less athleticism than strength because he's a mammoth guard who will probably end up going to team that prefers the run.

Leave a comment:

• supremeworldemperor
    replied
    I believed Jake's strength would make up for a slight lack of athleticism. He did 37 reps on the 225-lb bench press, which is actually better than Joe Thomas last year (he did 28). Is athleticism that much more important than strength for an offensive linemen? If that's so, Herman Johnson's in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    I'm not exactly sure how giving up one sack is "nightmares". I think you're exaggerating. I don't remember football being a track meet. Ciron Black isn't fast either, but I still think he's one of the best tackles in football.
    It's not straightline speed, it's athleticism. Jake Long does not have it and there are a lot of good speed rushers in the NFL. He's got Adalius Thomas and Vernon Gholston twice a year.

Leave a comment:

• supremeworldemperor
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    Chris Long was an extremely good athlete, highly productive, great leadership and work ethic...he has the essence of a franchise player. Might not have explosive first step of a Dwight Freeney or Gaines Adams, but in the 3-4 defense he is still going to dominate.

If Chris Long isn't #1 material, then no player is.

Jake Long has sluggish hips, not very quick feet, and he played against highly inferior competition. Derrick Harvey put him on his ass twice, and Gholston gave him nightmares.

I wouldn't have taken Jake Long with a top 3 pick.

Also, what's your genius plan for the worst defense in the NFL? Vernon Carey only gave up 2 sacks last year and is a very good run blocker. Jake Long will give up much more than 2 sacks next season.

I think Jake Long will be a solid left tackle like Chad Clifton but never anything special and won't live up to the #1 pick.
    I'm not exactly sure how giving up one sack is "nightmares". I think you're exaggerating. I don't remember football being a track meet. Ciron Black isn't fast either, but I still think he's one of the best tackles in football.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Mac
    replied
    I like Taylor a lot and the Redskins needed to fill a hole with Phillip Daniels' season ending injury. It is a good quick fix for the Skins and I agree with the trade

Leave a comment:

• MMONTERO
    replied
    Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
    I Love it.
    Yes... naturally you would lol

Leave a comment:

• Vbsiena
    replied
    Originally posted by MMONTERO View Post
    Am I the only person who loves the fact that Vernon Gholston and Jake Long are in the same division? Poor Jake...
    I Love it.

Leave a comment:

• MMONTERO
    replied
    Am I the only person who loves the fact that Vernon Gholston and Jake Long are in the same division? Poor Jake...

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Chris Long was an extremely good athlete, highly productive, great leadership and work ethic...he has the essence of a franchise player. Might not have explosive first step of a Dwight Freeney or Gaines Adams, but in the 3-4 defense he is still going to dominate.

If Chris Long isn't #1 material, then no player is.

Jake Long has sluggish hips, not very quick feet, and he played against highly inferior competition. Derrick Harvey put him on his ass twice, and Gholston gave him nightmares.

I wouldn't have taken Jake Long with a top 3 pick.

Also, what's your genius plan for the worst defense in the NFL? Vernon Carey only gave up 2 sacks last year and is a very good run blocker. Jake Long will give up much more than 2 sacks next season.

I think Jake Long will be a solid left tackle like Chad Clifton but never anything special and won't live up to the #1 pick.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    1. I don't see what's so average or questionable about Jake Long.

2. Who DO you take? Chris Long seems like the other possible solution, but even he doesn't seem to be worthy of a number one draft pick.

Really, I think Jake was the most riskless choice for a team that has in recent years taken too many failed risks. Besides, Sparano's an O-Line coach, so I'd imagine any plan of his would revolve around a great offensive line. Jake makes the line stronger immediately.

My two cents.
    1. He gets raped by speed rushers like Vernon Gholston.

2. Nothing wrong with Chris Long, he was the 2nd best player in the draft behind Glenn Dorsey.

No such thing as a pick without risk. This isn't the NHL draft.

Leave a comment:

• supremeworldemperor
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    You take the best player in the draft. You don't take an average athlete #1 (other than QB position). You don't take a player that has questionable left tackle skills #1.
    1. I don't see what's so average or questionable about Jake Long.

2. Who DO you take? Chris Long seems like the other possible solution, but even he doesn't seem to be worthy of a number one draft pick.

Really, I think Jake was the most riskless choice for a team that has in recent years taken too many failed risks. Besides, Sparano's an O-Line coach, so I'd imagine any plan of his would revolve around a great offensive line. Jake makes the line stronger immediately.

My two cents.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
    Bill Parcells is a genis. Even though he selected Jake Long, getting a guy who will retire in one year once the Redskins go 5-11, for a second rounder was pure genis.
    Bill Parcells is by no means a "genis"

http://www.walterfootball.com/mattblog.php

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    I really don't see what's wrong with Jake Long. He seems like a great tackle to me. It's not like he picked Carnell Stewart.
    You take the best player in the draft. You don't take an average athlete #1 (other than QB position). You don't take a player that has questionable left tackle skills #1.

Leave a comment:

• supremeworldemperor
    replied
    Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
    Bill Parcells is a genis. Even though he selected Jake Long
    I really don't see what's wrong with Jake Long. He seems like a great tackle to me. It's not like he picked Carnell Stewart.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X