Leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Back to Topic*

Good luck Greg I hope you get your writing together and hope to see you back on the main pages of this site some day.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_Haefner View Post
      Hi everyone:

After receiving a recent e-mail from Walter pointing out the flaws, typos, and misinformation in my latest mock draft update, I've done a lot of thinking that has led me to my decision to leave this website.

Just because I have a passion for sports writing doesn't make me a good sports writer. I need to do a lot of refining on my skills before I'm ready to be a legitimate writer for a site like this.

I'll be doing a lot of work on fixing up the flaws in my writing on various open-forum sites, so if any of you actually enjoyed my writing and want to keep up on it, please e-mail me so I can send you a link. I won't spam different sites on Walter's message board.

Thank you for the opportunity Walt, I appreciate it.

Matt I'll still be reading your stuff constantly, because even though I disagree with you on a lot, you are still one hell of a writer and someone who's writing I really respect and admire.

Everyone else, thanks for all of your input on my articles and drafts, maybe I'll be back some time in the future, but for now, I'm just bringing down the site.

Goodbye,
      -Greg
      should be "whose"

...i'm an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by starqb14 View Post
        should be "whose"

...i'm an ass.
        Wow... way to kick a man while he's down.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
        HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Todd McShay and Mel Kiper say hello. So does Charles Davis (see avatar)
          Idk about McShay and Kiper, but Davis played college ball and only went undrafted because of injury, and Mayock played DB.

Comment

Hey man. I've never played football, but I will talk football with anyone in the world (other than bookmakers).

You don't need to play football to get respect. If people listen to what you say and they like what you say, that's what matters.

Look at guys like Mark Schlerth and Mike Golic. These guys are average football analysts. I really don't care if they are even in the hall of fame, I've never been impressed. Same for tons of other guys.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I find it interesting that a lot of threads turns into who can/can't write-threads.

I consider myself a rather good writer in swedish and decent but not as good in english, mainly because it is not my first language. (Although, being a PhD student most things you read and write are in english). The key to being a good writer, I think, is reading a lot and I don't just mean the sports section in your local paper but books, and lots of them since it increases your vocabulary and makes you see how other people (often good writers) write.

I am pretty sure I could write articles good enough, linguistically, to be publsihed in this forum but I am also pretty sure I won't do it until I have something to write about. It is hard to get inside info on, or following football really close living overseas.

Waiting for Matt to call me out on this post...
              Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Leaf View Post
                I have a feeling 75% of the members on this forum could produce better articles than DKW.
                +1

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Fender View Post
                  I find it interesting that a lot of threads turns into who can/can't write-threads.

I consider myself a rather good writer in swedish and decent but not as good in english, mainly because it is not my first language. (Although, being a PhD student most things you read and write are in english). The key to being a good writer, I think, is reading a lot and I don't just mean the sports section in your local paper but books, and lots of them since it increases your vocabulary and makes you see how other people (often good writers) write.

I am pretty sure I could write articles good enough, linguistically, to be publsihed in this forum but I am also pretty sure I won't do it until I have something to write about. It is hard to get inside info on, or following football really close living overseas.

Waiting for Matt to call me out on this post...

+1 again

its same over here in germany

i feel like i could write good articles in german but not in english

Comment

lol europeans: wrong football forum

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      lol europeans: wrong football forum

haha yeah i hear that often

actually in germany their is only ONE really good american football forum thats sad

soccer > american football

Comment

Soccer is pretty cool. It has a much better fan/game environment (very hard to understand for americans, but I have never been impressed with NFL fans at games in terms of how loud and rowdy they get).

I will say I think football is more entertaining to watch than football/soccer/futbol, but I will also say soccer to me is a more fun game to play and referee (maybe thats cuz I never did it with football!). Going to get back into reffing probably next year. I'm a damn good soccer ref by the way. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my style. When I'm in the zone I can ref some near-perfect games.

Also better things about soccer than american football:

Soccer jerseys are much more fashionable. I have a USA 2006 WC Brian McBride jersey, and I just got the new USA home Clint Dempsey jersey. It looks sick the white with the red stripes across. I hate football jerseys. Big numbers and bad fit (long sleeves and too loose). Soccer jerseys are sick.

Also, soccer is much more fun to play on video games. FIFA owns. I know Madden is fun but a lot of americans don't know what they are missing out on.

Comment

I agree.
                          Ober here in Germany we have so much more chants/songs we can sing to support our team.

In Bigger stadiums its crazy.

In the section where the supporter stand thre is a capo who is the leader of the whole group and he is always deciding what the fans are gonna sing next and everybody follows.

also in soccer we got some really nice choreos.

my favourite club is Borussia DOrtmund . They have a capacity of 80.000 and 28.000 are standing places.

and when they have choreos it looks like this:

or

I am personally just playing soccer. I think i m a decent player. No chance for being a pro but its enough for me.
                          I never really liked being a reff. I like it more to argue with the ref .

I have an idea Matt.

You find an American College Team that wants to play gainst us.
                          We come to America and play a friendly with you as the Ref.
                          And then i can argue with you personally and not just on this forum

Haha
                          Last edited by Tango; 07-21-2008, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Why give up already Greg just continue to get better and then maybe you can start writing here in the future
                            Check out my new site Today!
                            Live 4 The Story

Comment

Originally posted by a2x View Post
                              haha yeah i hear that often

actually in germany their is only ONE really good american football forum thats sad

soccer > american football
                              I'll be the bad guy hear.

Soccer sucks. YES PLEASE! GIVE ME A GAME WHERE 50% OF THEM END IN TIES! GLORIOUS GLORIOUS TIES!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Fender View Post
                                *well enough Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, yeah, I feel like the info is the hardest thing about being a sportswriter. Anyone can write "top ten" lists all day, but putting out fresh material every week, let alone every day, would be tough. Props to Walter for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X