2008 NFL Draft Rookie Sleepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 NFL Draft Rookie Sleepers

Again as I stated in my blog, I don't expect instant production, in fact I don't expect most of these players to emerge for another 2-4 years. But still, I think they were steals and over time will prove the doubters wrong.

http://www.walterfootball.com/mattblog.php
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Speaking of rookie sleepers I will be at Redskins Park today watching the last public practice. I should have a full report on it up either tonight or tomorrow night.

Good list Matt, though I don't think Andre Woodson will get 4 years to prove himself. Maybe 2.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Matt Schuab got 3 years in Atlanta, then proved himself with Houston in his 4th year.

Please don't let this become a Woodson thread. There is nothing to be said people. Let's agree to disagree.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Other potential sleepers

Nicks should have been a 1st round pick despite his charater issues.

Some players I like as sleepers:
        WR Arman Shields-Raiders
        TE Jermichael Finley-Packers
        WR Donnie Avery as well as G Roy Schuening-Rams
        WR Marcus Henry-Jets
        DT Framk Okam-Texans
        S DaJuan Morgan-Cheifs

If Brett Favre goes to the Bucs, Dexter Jackson's stats could explode. If he goes to the Jets, Marcus Henry and Dustin Keller could get James Jones and Donald Lee-type looks/stats.

Comment

Apparently Rams WR Keenan Burton has been looking great in camp
          2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Originally posted by SoChillLax View Post
            If Brett Favre goes to the Bucs, Dexter Jackson's stats could explode. If he goes to the Jets, Marcus Henry and Dustin Keller could get James Jones and Donald Lee-type looks/stats.
            If he goes to the Vikes, look for Berrian, Rice and Shianco to have career seasons.
            sigpic
            WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
            PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
            NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
            Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
            Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
            MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
            PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
            Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
            Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
            ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
            Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
            TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
            InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
            Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
            EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
            EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
            Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
            BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
            Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Shinacoe, with an e, needs to step up. Even though he has Tarvaris Jackson as his QB, he could do better than 27 catches and 1 TD.

Comment

do you think Nicks can supplant Jon Stinky at right tackle, or do you think it's more likely he will convert to guard and challenge for Nesbit's job at left guard?
                This is my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by SoChillLax View Post
                  Shinacoe, with an e, needs to step up. Even though he has Tarvaris Jackson as his QB, he could do better than 27 catches and 1 TD.
                  Yeah, I have all of the Vikings 2008 games on DVD and I've rewatched them all since the end of the season. Like all of the Viking's receivers, Shinacoe was forced to make some insane adjustments on almost all of the passes thrown his way... his drops were mostly ones that hit his fingertips, after he made a crazy adjustment trying to make a miracle catch on a bad throw from Tarvaris Jackson. However, with Brooks Bollinger at QB, he was money catching the ball every time.

Still, the things fans remember were the couple of passes that were good throws which he dropped for no apparent reason. I just had to shake my head at those. I wonder if he just got so used to having to make crazy acrobatic catches with Jackson throwing the ball, that on the rare occasions that Jackson threw the ball accuractly, he didn't know how to react?
                  sigpic
                  PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
                  NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
                  Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
                  Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
                  MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
                  PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
                  Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
                  Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
                  ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
                  Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
                  InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
                  EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
                  BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
                  Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

I mean, I don't think he sucks, i actually think he's pretty talented. He just needs to live up to his contract.

But yeah, his longest catch was a 79-yard end-around pass thrown by Sidney Rice. Maybe Sidney Rice could play some QB. Perhaps Shinacoe will get better looks from Frerotte or JDB.

Comment

Matt, you left out your boy Steve Johnson.

Giant fans laughed at the Shinacoe contract. Vinsanity.

Comment

Pretty good read all around Matt, I would have liked to have seen a couple more players in that list, but it was pretty darn good nonetheless.

The only flaw I saw was the one you keep sticking to your guns on, Andre Woodson. I take issue with this comment...
                        Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                        I've never seen one player fall in the draft so far for one technical flaw.
                        Was that 'one technical flaw' his atrocious throwing motion, or his horrible performance at the senior bowl, or his terrible showing at his Pro Day workout, or his complete lack of participation in the NFL combine, or the 6 he scored on the Wonderlic test?

Sorry, just had to go there. Other than that, it was a great read. Keep up the fantastic work dude, one of these days it's going to pay off.

1 cent + 2 half pennies,

--Z
                        Last edited by ZN0rseman; 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice list.
                          If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                          Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
                            Pretty good read all around Matt, I would have liked to have seen a couple more players in that list, but it was pretty darn good nonetheless.

The only flaw I saw was the one you keep sticking to your guns on, Andre Woodson. I take issue with this comment...

Was that 'one technical flaw' his atrocious throwing motion, or his horrible performance at the senior bowl, or his terrible showing at his Pro Day workout, or his complete lack of participation in the NFL combine, or the 6 he scored on the Wonderlic test?

Sorry, just had to go there. Other than that, it was a great read. Keep up the fantastic work dude, one of these days it's going to pay off.

1 cent + 2 half pennies,

--Z
                            Wrong. Andre did great at his Pro Day, showing that starting the ball out lower in his dropback than high sped up his throw.

One reason he was terrible at the Senior Bowl Week (Along with Erik Ainge and Colt Brennan) was because Mike Martz was an idiot for giving them half of his playbook which is the normal size for other OC's.

The second reason was Kory Lichtensteiger (a sleeper on his list). He wasn't strong enough to handle the North's D-Line. He's fit for a ZBS but overall if he can't handle a senior college D-Line (exception of Sed Ellis) how can he in the NFL?

Comment

Originally posted by DraftKidWonder View Post
                              Wrong. Andre did great at his Pro Day, showing that starting the ball out lower in his dropback than high sped up his throw.
                              QB Woodson 'terrible' in Pro-Day workout
                              Entering the '07 season, Kentucky quarterback Andre' Woodson was viewed by most as a likely first-round pick who could challenge to be the No. 1 quarterback drafted. Despite showing improvement as a senior, his play the week of the Senior Bowl significantly damaged his draft stock and knocked him into the middle rounds.

Woodson chose not to workout at the NFL Combine and put all his faith in his on-campus workout with other Kentucky prospects. The plan backfired when Woodson did not perform well at UK's on-campus workout March 5.

According to scouts in attendance, Woodson was extremely disappointing -- the word "terrible" was used -- and pushed him further down draft boards all around the league.

We never were enamored with Woodson; we rated him as fourth-round prospect entering the '07 season and now view him as a sixth- or seventh-round pick. However, some desperate team probably will grab him in the fourth or fifth round because of his size, arm strength and intangibles.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X