No announcement yet.

Favre considering money-for-nothing deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favre has done everything a QB can do in this league. He has nothing else to prove. He is old, he will get tired, he could get seriously hurt.
    That doesn't matter. This is sort of a stupid example, but I still think it's valid... In the movie Rocky Balboa, Rocky fights one more fight when he's way past his prime. He holds his own all fight and starts to take some serious blows in the later rounds. His son tells him he's proven what he came to prove, but Rocky just responds "I gotta go out how I gotta go out." I'm one of those people who believe that you can't determine when a player should retire, and they should play as long as they desire.
    Favre might be wondering "what if" but he will be doing it on his yacht in the Caribbean.
    I don't think a yacht compares to football in the mind of Brett Favre, but who knows.
    If Favre loved to do this so much, then why cry about leaving the game and that whole emotional retirement.
    It's because he loved the game so much that caused him to cry... I'm not really sure what you mean by this last point.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
      If Favre loved to do this so much, then why cry about leaving the game and that whole emotional retirement.
      wut

Comment

I'm just saying, if he loved the game this much that he is willing to make the Packers' org a living nightmare, he shouldn't have retired in the first place.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Oh...I see what you meant now

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
            I don't see how the Vikings got tampering charges if Favre was retired. He should be able to talk to any team.
            They won't get charged. Peter King already said he sees no way they get charged, and I agree. Brad Childress and Darrell Bevell are friends with Favre.

Favre also said if the Vikings are getting charged then about 15 other teams should be to because all he was doing was talking with them.(and that the Packers knew about their realationship)

They just did that to drive all the attention away from their mess.
            Last edited by IlliniVikeFan23; 08-03-2008, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
              I'm incredibly surprised at the cowardice of the Packers' front office. What kind of team buys out a player simply because they are too afraid to play against him? And what does that say about their confidence in their own team? If I was a Packer, I would be quite perturbed from that respect. As someone said: their mentality should be to trade him ASAP and then beat his ass back into retirement.

Also, if Favre takes this deal, he loses a lot of respect--at least in my book. This entire charade has been about Favre's passion and desire to once again play professional football, and just like that, he'll take a buy out? Pathetic.

I say let's get this over with and focus on the relevant information regarding training camp progress!

I agree with you. Favre bascially looks like a sell-out if he takes the deal. He is already loaded...What is 20M more gonna do?

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                I agree with you. Favre bascially looks like a sell-out if he takes the deal. He is already loaded...What is 20M more gonna do?
                Are you trying to tell me that if someone paid you $20M to quit the game at age 37, that you wouldn't take it?

Everyone would be a sell out, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  Are you trying to tell me that if someone paid you $20M to quit the game at age 37, that you wouldn't take it?

Everyone would be a sell out, and there is nothing wrong with that.
                  He doesn't need to money at all. He is already set for life and can buy practically anything he wants. You can only play football for a short period of time, why not take advantage of that? He'd make 20M if he played two more seasons and then he would be done.

I want him to stay retired, so I don't know why I'm even saying this.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                    He doesn't need to money at all. He is already set for life and can buy practically anything he wants. You can only play football for a short period of time, why not take advantage of that? He'd make 20M if he played two more seasons and then he would be done.

I want him to stay retired, so I don't know why I'm even saying this.
                    He doesn't need to play anymore either.

Maybe he is set for the rest of his life, but maybe he wants to give the $20M to charity. Maybe he will give it to his great-grandkids and have them set for life too.

He's played football for a very long time. You get beat up a lot in the NFL season and it is very stressful, especially on a 37 year old body. What if he gets injured like Theismann or Everett? It's very possible. Why risk that chance? He has done everything in the game and won everything there is to win. The game can't offer Favre anything else.

Comment

We haven't played Pro football for the past 19 years and been the best QB over that time. We can't say what'd we do.

Comment

The only way I see Favre taking the money is if he doesn't want to put on another uniform. The money doesn't matter. It's $20 mil over 5 years so that's $4 mil a year. He could play for a season and sit the bench making 3 times that in a season then get a summer job running a camp or something if it was about the money. The money doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                          The only way I see Favre taking the money is if he doesn't want to put on another uniform. The money doesn't matter. It's $20 mil over 5 years so that's $4 mil a year. He could play for a season and sit the bench making 3 times that in a season then get a summer job running a camp or something if it was about the money. The money doesn't matter.
                          The difference is you aren't risking injury by staying retired and getting paid to do nothing. Plus Favre isn't sitting the bench for anyone, so it is a moot point.

Comment

If Favre doesn't take the deal, maybe they should offer it to their other quarterback.

I am fairly certain Aaron Rodgers would take $20 million to not play football!!

It's a win-win-win all around!
                            sigpic

------------------------------------------------
                            Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

- NYTimes, July 20, 2000

Comment

Working...
                            X