Training Camp/Preseason Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    Maybe the Ravens were better than out 99 defense, I'll take that one back. But the Bucs 2002 defense and 85 bears are the two best of all time. 2001 Ravens are probably #3.
    What makes the 2002 Bucs defense so great? Did you take Trent Dilfer to the Super Bowl? Did you not give up a single offensive TD in said Super Bowl? Did you achieve the record of fewest points scored in a 16 game season?

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
      Ravens had the best defense ever that could basically win games on its own sometimes. Vikings don't have that.
      They were not the 85' Bears.

And how do you know the Vikings might not be that good? They haven't even played a game yet. I really think that it's possible.

Comment

What makes the 2002 Bucs defense so great? Did you take Trent Dilfer to the Super Bowl? Did you not give up a single offensive TD in said Super Bowl? Did you achieve the record of fewest points scored in a 16 game season?
        We held the #1 offense in the NFL to just 21 points and intercepted Gannon a super bowl record 5 times.

The Oakland offense was much tougher than the Giant offense...don't even go there. Kerry Collins? He didn't even complete 60% of his passes in 2000.

How many hall of Famers were on the Ravens defense in 2000 other than Ray Lewis?

Tampa had these likely hall of famers: John Lynch, Warren Sapp, and Derrick Brooks.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
          They were not the 85' Bears.

And how do you know the Vikings might not be that good? They haven't even played a game yet. I really think that it's possible.
          Everyone is undefeated. Everyone has the "we are awesome" face. The Vikings back 7 can't touch the historic Bucs/Ravens defenses...don't even ****ing go there.

Comment

Everyone is undefeated. Everyone has the "we are awesome" face. The Vikings back 7 can't touch the historic Bucs/Ravens defenses...don't even ****ing go there.
            Wait and see. The Vikings might not be quite as good as the 2000 Ravens but I really think that they could be in the same discussion by the end of the year.

Comment

We held the #1 offense in the NFL to just 21 points and intercepted Gannon a super bowl record 5 times.

The Oakland offense was much tougher than the Giant offense...don't even go there. Kerry Collins? He didn't even complete 60% of his passes in 2000.

How many hall of Famers were on the Ravens defense in 2000 other than Ray Lewis?

Tampa had these likely hall of famers: John Lynch, Warren Sapp, and Derrick Brooks.
              Only reason you kicked the crap out of the Raiders was because they still had the exact same plays and offense that Gruden had just come from. How are you not going to beat them?

Hall of Famers is a chump argument. There are 11 other players on the field. It doesn't matter if Peter Boulware, Duane Starks & Tony Siragusa won't be in the HOF, we're talking about a single year where those players were on the top of their game.

Comment

Only reason you kicked the crap out of the Raiders was because they still had the exact same plays and offense that Gruden had just come from. How are you not going to beat them?

Hall of Famers is a chump argument. There are 11 other players on the field. It doesn't matter if Peter Boulware, Duane Starks & Tony Siragusa won't be in the HOF, we're talking about a single year where those players were on the top of their game.
                So you don't think Simeon Rice, Shelton Quarles, Booger McFarland, Greg Spires, Dexter Jackson, and Brian Kelly weren't on top of their game?

Comment

Bills 5th round pick Alvin Bowen suffered a severe knee injury in practice. No one knows how long he'll be out, but the entire season looks like a possibility.

Ko Simpson, Johnson, and Hardy all missed practices with injuries as well. I can't take another injury filled season like last year. I really hope beyond hope that the Bills can stay healthy

Comment

So you don't think Simeon Rice, Shelton Quarles, Booger McFarland, Greg Spires, Dexter Jackson, and Brian Kelly weren't on top of their game?
                    Doesn't matter, we should look at the defense as a whole and not "OMG are defense has better individuals." Besides the Trent Dilfer argument trumps all!

Comment

Doesn't matter, we should look at the defense as a whole and not "OMG are defense has better individuals." Besides the Trent Dilfer argument trumps all!
                      And as a whole, Tampa had a better pass rush and better pass coverage.

I'd take the Ravens run defense any day over tampa's, but tampa was a better team against the pass.

Comment

And as a whole, Tampa had a better pass rush and better pass coverage.

I'd take the Ravens run defense any day over tampa's, but tampa was a better team against the pass.
                        This argument is stupid, I'm going home.

Comment

Breaking News out of Vikings Camp!: We Suck.-Tarvaris Jackson

Source: The Minnesota Blows Gazette

The starting QB out of Vikings camp held a press conference today along with head coach Brad Childress and newly acquired defensive end Jared Allen. Unknown before this afternoon, it was very surprising to the media but a very anti-climatic beginning just reittirated what everybody already knew, "We suck as well as I do." Jackson began. "Why we have all this hype is beyond me." Brad Childress tragically died of a heart attack after screaming this statement, "Tarvaris is correct. We're nothing! I can't sleep, I can't eat, I s*** my pants constantly! And do you know why??? The Packers! We're going there week one! Why Goodell? Rearrange the division or something please Jesus don't make us play the Packers!!! Please Go--..." It was very tragice and understandable. Jackson then fled the stage using his only skill, his running ability. Jared Allen came onto the stage with his glasses on declaring many other problems on why they're going 0-16: "Well Pat Williams is backstage eating his weight in Baconaters while his protege, K-Will, went into cardiac arrest trying to keep up with Pat. Ray Edwards is facing 25-Life for mass killing the coaching staff at Purdue, a problem dating back to his college days. Bernard Berrian attempted suicide in his disbelief that the Vikings are actually worse than the Bears. Steve Hutcheison is on trial for something Bryant McKinee did which is God knows what and McKinee fled to Mexico. Madieu Williams is going on the IR. Antoine Winfield retires and Chester Taylor joins Al-Quida in a fight against the Vikings for he still isn't a starter. As for me, I quit. I'm going back to KC."
                          This was all very odd but everybody saw it coming I mean, come on. Adrian Peterson, Sidney Rice, and Cedric Griffen were too awesome to comment on.

This was all fiction. I don't want to get sued so this was all fake.

Comment

Saturday night Vikings practice

http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikings/...2night.htm

Just two days after a full contact scrimmage in River Falls, the Vikings trotted out for a semi-full contact practice, this time at the friendly confines of Blakeslee Stadium in Mankato.

Brad Childress chose to have the offense pound the run, seeing as how they don’t get such an opportunity during the usual shorts-and-light-shoulder-pads practices.

“We always do that 9-on-7 drill with no safeties and no wideouts, so we wanted to see how they fill that thing up,” Childress said. “We threw a couple little play actions in there, but wanted inside run, outside run and basically want to make sure guys are filling their lanes correctly.”

For the most part, the first team defense did just that. They filled every lane. In fact, if there was an official scorecard for Saturday night’s scrimmage, the result would be a unanimous decision in favor of the defense.

Still, the offense put together some highlights of its own…

Camp Notes

- Sidney Rice (illness), Garrett Mills (ankle), and Marcus McCauley (knee) all sat out.

- Bernard Berrian, Bobby Wade, Daniel Davis, Aundrae Allison and Jaymar Johnson all returned punts on Saturday night.

- After individual drills and installations, the entire squad moved into a jam-packed Blakeslee Stadium. They began with various one-on-one drills -- WR/CB, DL/OL, FB/LB -- before eventually moving to 11-on-11 and 7-on-7.

- During one-on-one CB/WR drills, Darren Sharper made a spectacular play on a ball after Aundrae Allison appeared to create separation after a double move. Brooks Bollinger launched the ball 40 yards to the endzone, but Sharper closed in at the last second to make a diving deflection.

- During RB/LB drills, Rufus Alexander burned Thomas Tapeh on a blitz pick-up. Tapeh got his revenge a few minutes later during FB pass routes when he juked Rufus and caught a pass for a healthy gain.

The team went to full squad, almost-full-contact practice with about one hour left in the session. Here are the notable plays:

- For much of the first 40 minutes in the stadium, Brad Childress chose to have the offense work on running the football. With players wearing full pads, he probably picked a good night to do it.

- RB Albert Young joined the first team offense for one snap and took a handoff through the left side of the first team defensive line. Bryant McKinnie cleared Jared Allen out of the way to create the hole.

- Tarvaris Jackson had a nice series against the second team defense when he found Visanthe Shiancoe working across the field for 12 yards and then audibled to a run on the next play, allowing Adrian Peterson to burst through an opening for 20+ yards.

- With the third team offense squaring off against the first team defense, Jared Allen ran around LT Chase Johnson, but John David Booty rolled out to his right and lobbed a pass to TE Braden Jones, who promptly allowed the ball to bounce off his hands…

- For the most part, the first team defense absolutely stuffed anybody who tried to run the football on Saturday night. It was a complete lockdown. Not to mention, E.J. Henderson at one point stripped AP, recovered the ball, and took it 20 yards to the house.

A little while later, with the ball spotted inside the second team offense’s 5-yardline, Kevin Williams blew through the line of scrimmage and tackled Maurice Hicks for a safety.

“In training camp, some days you win, some days you lose,” Brad Childress said. “Some days offense dominates the third-and-long drill… and some days the defense gets your goat. But the big thing is to never concede… You’re playing against good defensive guys.”

- Aundrae Allison was by far the star of Saturday night’s practice. He caught a handful of passes over 20 yards, and it seemed like he was routinely in the mix on 8 and 12-yard receptions as well.

“I’m the playmaker everybody’s not really paying attention to,” Allison said. “They’ll find out soon, hopefully, if I can continue to stay on the track I’m on right now. I’ve just got to stay confident, stay consistent and stay in my playbook.”

- Ryan Longwell knocked home 6-of-6 field goals, and he even bounced one off an unmarked police car that was sitting in the parking lot outside of the Blakeslee Stadium.

For his last field goal, Longwell measured one up from 51 yards and kicked it through the uprights with plenty of room to spare.

Backup kicker Steven Hauschka then came out -- told the offensive line to do an about-face -- and kicked an 87-yard field goal the other way.

Just kidding.

- Ray Edwards made an appearance in the backfield when he sprinted in almost untouched to force Tarvaris Jackson to dump a pass to Thomas Tapeh, who was tackled immediately for a 2-yard loss.

- The third team offense, with Brooks Bollinger, moved the ball well against the third team defense (young linebackers mixed with Letroy Guion, Otis Grigsby, Martail Bennett, Michael Boulware, etc…).

During this stretch, Maurice Hicks had a couple nice runs and a couple healthy gains on receptions. The more and more Hicks practices, the more it looks like he may be used in certain third down packages this year.

- DE Jayme Mitchell and DT Ellis Wyms both flashed on consecutive plays. Mitchell bull rushed Marcus Johnson to blow up a run play, and Wyms beat Brian Daniels to sack Gus Frerotte.

- Ryan Cook took all reps with the first team offense. He seems to have fought off Marcus Johnson for the time being.

- After being stuffed on a number of runs by the first team defense, Adrian Peterson finally busted one for 12 yards… But at the end of the play, Madieu Williams popped him hard, eliciting a buzz from the crowd.

- During 7-on-7 drills, Tarvaris Jackson threw three dump offs in a row before finally finding Visanthe Shiancoe for 15 yards up the seam. This is essentially a microcosm of the Vikings offense. Dink, dunk, dink a little more, and then BAM… Go downfield.

- During 11-on-11 drills -- 3rd-and-12 from own 35 -- Jackson took a QB draw up the middle for 20 yards on the first play. On the next play, Jackson found Shiancoe over the middle, but E.J. Henderson made the tackle two yards shy of a first down.

- All in all, Tarvaris Jackson did not make any glaring mistakes during Saturday night’s practice. He hasn’t thrown an interception in about three days, which is a positive sign.

Players who stood out positively on Saturday night:

- Tarvaris Jackson
                            - Aundrae Allison
                            - Maurice Hicks
                            - Bryant McKinnie
                            - The first team defense
                            - WR Nate Jones
                            - Visanthe Shiancoe

Nobody really stood out negatively, although it’s difficult to tell with linebackers and defensive linemen sometimes. You’d have to go look at film to really dissect those positions. KFAN doesn’t have that kind of access yet. Maybe in 2009...

Comment

Aundrae Allison has been the star of camp. He could really surprise alot of people this year.

Comment

I liked Allison a lot coming out of college. I gave him a 3rd round grade.

Comment

Working...
                                X