Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favre: Best thing is to part ways with Pack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre: Best thing is to part ways with Pack.

From PFT...
    FAVRE: BEST THING IS FOR US TO PART WAYS
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2008, 1:11 p.m.
    Brett Favre said this morning that he believes it’s time for him to leave the Green Bay Packers.

Prior to his second meeting with Packers coach Mike McCarthy in just over 12 hours, Favre told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen he believed the “best thing for this team is for us to part ways.”

Although he is now on the active roster, Favre is not expected to practice with the rest of the Packers this afternoon.

“We’re at a stalemate,” Favre told Mortensen. “Mike and I both agreed last night that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction. We all know the reason I’m here is because the commissioner reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It’s simple and complicated, both at the same time.”

According to Favre, he asked to talk to teams in the NFC North about a trade, and the Packers denied that request.

Favre also said he and McCarthy discussed a training camp quarterback competition with Aaron Rodgers, but that they’ve agreed not to go that route.

“Mike told me, ‘Hey, we’re a better team with you on it’ but wanted to know if I have a problem with an open competition,” Favre said. “I don’t have a problem with competing — you know that, but Aaron should be the starter right now because he’s been out here all this time. This is more than about an open competition and I can do that, absolutely, but this is going to be mass confusion and that’s not good for this team.

“I’ll practice my butt off, if it comes to that, and I think we all know what the end result will be, but this probably isn’t going to work. And I truly understand that if I was in Mike’s shoes, I’d see it basically the same way he sees it, I’m sure. And I think if he was in my shoes, he’d see it my way. I think we both agree on that.

“They want to know if I’m committed but I want to know if they’re 100 percent committed. The problem is that there’s been a lot of damage done and I can’t forget it. Stuff has been said, stories planted, that just aren’t true. Can I get over all that? I doubt it.”

Favre is clearly not happy with the Packers, and he’s clearly not going to have a productive relationship with Rodgers as a teammate when he’s publicly saying things like, “we all know what the end result will be” if the two of them compete. But is there any room for middle ground?

From Favre’s perspective, it doesn’t sound like it. Asked about the possibility that he could take the reported 10-year, $20 million marketing agreement offered by the Packers, Favre didn’t sound inclined to accept it, saying of the Packers, “they tried to buy me off to stay retired.”

Favre also told Mortensen, “So they can say they welcome me back but, come on, the way they’ve treated me tells you the truth. They don’t want me back, so let’s move on. I don’t know where it’s headed. We’ll see.”

We’ll see, indeed. But at the rate this is going, we might not see any time soon.

So, apparently the Packers are still desperately trying to get the Bucs to take Favre off of their hands so they can keep him away from Minnesota. Yet doing so would like result in a Jake Plummer situation where the Bucs would trade a conditional 7th rounder for Favre, who would likely just be forced to retire. (As opposed to playing for a team he doesn't like.) The question I have is, does this even sound plausible, in that are the Bucs prepared to take the PR hit associated with being an accomplice in forcing a legend like Favre to retire???
    sigpic
    WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
    PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
    NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
    Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
    Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
    MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
    PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
    Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
    Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
    ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
    Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
    TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
    InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
    Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
    EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
    EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
    Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
    BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
    Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

I took a flier on Favre in my fantasy football league a couple days ago, so I'm hoping that he goes to Minny and starts throwing bombs to Sid Rice (whom I also selected).
    Lord Commander of Walter's Kingsguard
    The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat
    THE WALTAHOLICS - "I'm kind of a maverick and just don't give a shoot."
    THE ANDREA McNULTY GANGBANG - "You come at the king, you best not miss."

There are no men like me. There's only me.

I may be a woman beater, but I ain't no pussy eater.

Sweeter than a jumper on a gay Ray Allen.

NFC East Champion New York Football Giants

Comment

Originally posted by the shock doctor View Post
      I took a flier on Favre in my fantasy football league a couple days ago, so I'm hoping that he goes to Minny and starts throwing bombs to Sid Rice (whom I also selected).
      If all of your eggs are in the Favre basket at this point, you might consider picking up Shiancoe off of waivers (if you have roster space) as Favre's TE's are usually worth their weight in fantasy football gold.
      sigpic
      PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
      NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
      Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
      Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
      MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
      PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
      Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
      Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
      ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
      Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
      InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
      EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
      BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
      Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Ted Thompson should be hanged for the way he has treated Favre.
        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
          I don’t blame Ted for not wanting to bring him back. Now if Favre continues to insist he only wants to play for their division rival, he should sit on the bench until after week 1 and then traded to Minnesota. Give him no practice or anything if you really want to stick it to him.

Comment

Favre should be hanged for not being a man at his word.

Thompson can't kill A-Rod's confidence. The team is in a different direction.

If Favre didn't want to retire, he shouldn't have retired, it's his fault.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

You obviously never lived in WI. Favre has pulled this show for the 3rd year in a row (albeit not on this scale), heck, the rumblings started almost 5 years back.
              And now for something completely different

Comment

I agree with you Matt (apart from not being a man of his word and being hanged, for me that is abit strong)

Brett put us in this situation and is the only one to be blamed for the whole debacle.

Sure the franchise and Thompson in particular, while saying the right things externally, has in my opinion handled this situation wrong but only through the position they have been put in by Favre.

Sure

Comment

Originally posted by packman_jon View Post
                  You obviously never lived in WI. Favre has pulled this show for the 3rd year in a row (albeit not on this scale), heck, the rumblings started almost 5 years back.
                  Yeah but there have also been constant rumors of Thompson/McCarthy trying to get Favre to "retire" since 2006?
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X