Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big reason why I didn't think Favre would be a Jet

...the Salary Cap

The Jets are a projected $1.8M over the cap.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

If Schefter is right and they cut Pennington, according to him they gain another $2M in the cap, which puts them at $0.2+.

Now you take on a $12M contract...how does this work? Could the NFL reject this trade if the Jets' can't afford it? Do I have this all wrong?

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

Question 1.13
    So...what happens if a team goes over the Salary Cap?

Answer: The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

If a team releases or trades a player and the signing bonus acceleration puts a team over the Salary Cap, the team will have seven days to conform with the Salary Cap. However, they may not sign any players until there is room to do so under the Salary Cap.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

I know the full $12M won't go up against the cap, but some of it will (3-5M?). I don't understand how this can work.

Comment

I think Teams know of ways to manipulate the salary cap. Look at the Colts, they have the highest paid players at like 4 of the positions.

Comment

Booyah!

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary.html
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Should I lock the thread now? lol

Comment

David Barrett and his $3.6 million will likely be cut too. Seeing how he is awful and playing with the 3rd stringers

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
              That's such an odd subject to devote a website to

Comment

Restructure the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                  That's such an odd subject to devote a website to
                  There is like one website per team...maybe..i dunno i found a NY Giant one too.

Comment

vb, you were just saying a while ago you didn't want Favre now you have a Favre sig?

Comment

Originally posted by IlliniVikeFan23 View Post
                      vb, you were just saying a while ago you didn't want Favre now you have a Favre sig?
                      Yes, although I don't necessarily like the move. I support the management and the team. It's not like I'm gonna stop rooting for the team now. They are by far my favorite team in any sport. I support Favre.

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                        Yes, although I don't necessarily like the move. I support the management and the team. It's not like I'm gonna stop rooting for the team now. They are by far my favorite team in any sport. I support Favre.
                        I support the troops, I just hate the war. I get it.

Comment

Actually this is more like I support the war (Jets), but I can't stand these goddamn troops they bring in (Favre). Accept for the really fat ones (Jenkins).

Comment

RANDOM COMMENT: ****, I forget to watch the Hard Knocks premeir on HBO.

Comment

You can't base a decision off of the cap. Teams can always cut dead weight and restructure contracts for the short term.

Comment

Working...
                              X