Torre turns us down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torre turns us down

Joe Torre rejected a $5 million, one-year contract to return as manager of the New York Yankees on Thursday.

Tough Act to Follow

Whoever succeeds Joe Torre, when the likely Hall of Fame manager leaves the Yankees, will have some big shoes to fill. Among his accomplishments in New York:

• 1,173-767 record
    • Four World Series titles
    • 10 AL East titles (9 straight from 1998-2006)
    • Two-time AL Manager of the Year (1996 and 1998)
    • Reached postseason all 12 seasons
    All-time managerial wins leaders Manager Wins
    Connie Mack 3,776
    John McGraw 2,840
    Tony La Russa 2,375
    Bobby Cox 2,255
    Sparky Anderson 2,194
    Bucky Harris 2,159
    Joe McCarthy 2,126
    Joe Torre 2,067

The Yankees offered Torre a one-year deal with a base salary of $5 million and incentives that would have increased his salary to $8 million based on postseason performance. Under that offer, if Torre reached the World Series in 2008, an option for 2009 would have vested.

"We felt we needed to go to a performance-based mode," team president Randy Levine said. "We thought it was very fair. It clearly was at the top of the market, but we respect Joe's decision."

Torre, who had held the job since 1995, made an unannounced trip from New York to the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., accompanied by general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost. Levine said Torre turned down the offer during the meeting, which lasted about one hour.

"It is now time for the New York Yankees to move forward," Levine said.

Torre made $7.5 million this year, the final season of a $19.2 million, three-year contract.

Bench coach Don Mattingly is the leading contender to replace Torre. Yankees broadcaster Joe Girardi, the NL manager of the year with Florida in 2006, is another top contender.

Cashman said there will be a full search for a replacement.

Just 10 days ago, the Yankees were bounced out of the first round of the playoffs for the third straight year.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3069115

Not changing this sig until the New York Jets win the AFC East!
    Not changing this sig until the New York Jets win the Super Bowl!
    Not changing this sig until my username changes to Jets20196!
    Not changing this sig until Manchester United goes back to the Champions League!

I don't blame Torre. A 1 year deal is an extreme lack of respect. Mattingly will be the next manager.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I'm sad that torre left, but I don't blame him at all either. a 1 year contract is bull****.
      Not changing this sig until the New York Jets win the AFC East!
      Not changing this sig until the New York Jets win the Super Bowl!
      Not changing this sig until my username changes to Jets20196!
      Not changing this sig until Manchester United goes back to the Champions League!

Comment

I'm shocked. I guess Torre was tired of being the whipping boy for Yankee's front office. The contract was a decent contract. He would make making 5 times more then a lot of managers in the MLB if he didn't even make the playoffs next season for the Yankees.
        Carolina Panther's GM

1. #17 - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
        2. #37 - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
        2. #43 - Jonathan Hefney, FS, Tennessee
        3. #74 - John David Booty, QB, USC
        3. #82 - Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
        4. #107 - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

Comment

Why wasn't Brian Cashman fired? He's the one who sucks. Torre did all he could with this crap team.
          2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Its about time somebody said FU to Steinbrenner.
            Walter got PWN3D
            Rams GM

Picks
            2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
            33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
            65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
            101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
            137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
            168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
            180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment

Well the Yankees had 2 franchise players and they both bounced in the playoffs and everyone else are a few years away from a nursing home. Joe Girardi is the best choice as manager but he isnt a whipping boy so he wont get it.
              If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
              Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Working...
              X