• Show
Clear All

• candyman82
    replied
    He can't have many years left

Leave a comment:

• Adam Mac
    replied
    He won't be on any of my fantasy teams... the Cardinals have so many weapons and one week blow up and the next do squat... Seems like most of their scores are TDs if they do score

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Kicking is a very off and on kind of thing. It's tough to do consistently.

Leave a comment:

• NoNonsenseCoach
    replied
    Chalk up his chip shot over time FG this week against a must win 49ers game.

Leave a comment:

• NoNonsenseCoach
    replied
    Thought i'd bump this after this week

Leave a comment:

• jimmyp
    replied
    Both australian football (drop punting) and rugby (place kicking - use of a kicking tee is allowed), just at college level, so I appreciate maybe more than some the crap these guys put up with. Keep in mind though in these sports kickers have to stay on the field during regular play, which is probably a good thing as there's no time dwell on a bad kick as you might be making the next tackle.

As for cold weather, it was 37 degrees at Denver, not sure how that affects distance. Sauerbrun's opening kickoff did, as Madden/Michaels said, looked like he kicked a frozen brick or something.

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    Where did you kick?

Jeff Reed's would have been good from 55, you're right. I don't think you can kick a 65-yarder in cold weather.

Leave a comment:

• jimmyp
    replied
    Yes Walter, Elam's dropped a few yards of range, but he gets his pension soon.

As I was explaining to a friend the other day after this game, and as someone who used to kick (albeit in another code) the further out you go, exponentially more things go wrong. These guys are on a totally different level, but even still 55 yards, ouch.

More interesting though was Jeff Reed's 65 yard Mile High hail mary. Whenever I tried those on Madden 07, John would always say, "I don't think a mule could kick it that far." Credit to Reed, it was straight, just about 10 yards short.

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    That kick probably would have been good from 49 or 50. 55 was too much to ask from anyone, including Elam.

Leave a comment:

• NoNonsenseCoach
    replied
    I know it's a lot to ask a kicker, but he's supposed to be an Elite kicker... in the class of Elam and those guys. I wouldn't have posted the topic on Jeff Reed or Lawrence Tynes.

Still, I see what you're saying. I don't expect him to make every kick by any means, but when the game is on the line I expect a team captain to step up his game.

Leave a comment:

• jimmyp
    replied
    55 yards is a tough ask in any book. What makes it seem maybe worse it the last few weeks have seen quite a number of 50+ game-winners. Rackers is currently at 10-15 in FG this year, but I think he's had quite a few long bomb tries, to my crappy recollection, he's had at least 3 50+ so far this season.

On the other hand compare him to Elam, who is more or less responsible for the Broncos being .500 and not .000. If you're having to rely on your kicker to win you more the the odd ball game, chances are you should be lining up other team members for the chopping block, (i.e. WTF was with Boldin passing for a 2 PT conversion?)

Leave a comment:

• NoNonsenseCoach
    started a topic Neil Rackers

Neil Rackers

I don't know his exact statistics, but since he made 40 FGs 2 years ago and went to the Pro Bowl has Rackers fell off the boat? I know he's a captain of the Cardinals, but in the last two years when the games on the line it seems like he doesn't come through. Obviously this week from 55, (understandable even though long kicks are supposed to be his forte') the Bears game last year, and I know of at least one other but can't put my finger on it.

Was Neil a one year wonder? Is he overrated? Do the Cardinals need to at least bring in a new kicker next season to give him competition? All I know for sure is in the last two years the man has not impressed me.
Working...
X