My thoughts on Walter's mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on Walter's mock

Really bored so I want to critque Watler's new 08 mock. I'd like to do this to illustrate why some picks imo are good and some are bad. More or less, get us in draft thinking mode.

1. MIA: Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

Apparently, Dorsey isn't as bad of a fit in Miami's 3-4 hybrid as I originally thought. However, I do have somewhat of a problem for a 3-4 team to draft a DL here. It's not a knock on Dorsey, and I don't think he is the best fit in this defense. I'd prefer them to draft Jake Long here, but if they feel Dorsey is the best player available and fits their defense then I have no problem with it.

2. NE (f/SF): Darren McFadden RB Arkansas

I really want to first of all say I don't see the Pats trading down simply because 1) It's too expensive for any team to do. 2) No player really worth trading up for, which is usually a QB.

I don't think Chris Long will be the pick. He is a perfect fit for this team, but they already have Ty Warren and Richard Seymour as starters, with Jarvis Green as a capable rotation guy at DE. It just wouldn't make sense to draft a DE when he wouldn't start. I think it is too high for NE to draft Laurinaitis or Jenkins, they need to get fair value.

So the pick comes down to Jake Long or D-Mac. Jake Long can play right tackle immediately, even though Nick Kazcur has had a hell of a year. We all know what Darren McFadden can do, and Maroney is injury prone. I'd take Maroney just because of the sheer value of the pick, but I wouldn't rule out Jake Long either. Both would be good value for this pick.

3. OAK: Chris Long DE Virginia
    I love Walter's creativity here. Oakland needs a playmaker, they need value for the pick. They would like to get D-Mac, but that doesn't happen here. It comes down to Jake Long and Chris Long. I'd personally take Jake Long because I feel he is the better player, but it's not like they are losing out on talent because Chris is a heck of a football player too.

4. STL: Jake Long T Michigan
    Easiest pick in the draft.

5. NYJ: Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio STate
    Walter shows great creativity and innovation with this pick. Gholston has top 10 potential, not sure he is a top 5 pick as of right now, but in which other was should the Jets go here? This pick makes a lot of sense. I might even take Gholston over Chris Long here (who has ability to play OLB in teh 3-4 since he dropped down to 266 lbs.)

6. ATL: Matt Ryan QB Boston College
    You take the best QB in the draft here. Ryan as of now is the best QB in college football.

7. CIN: James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State
    This pick has to be Laurinaitis or Calais Campbell. I think they should go with Laurinaitis here. They need a sure thing on defense and they need a leader.

8. MIN: Brian Brohm QB Louisville
    Minnesota must address QB in the draft or offseason, we know this. Personally, I would trade the #8 overall pick for Derek Anderson (which would be a heck of a deal for Cleveland to get back into round 1 and have a very high pick). But they should draft the best QB right now, and it is a coinflip between Brohm and Woodson as of now.

9. BAL: Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
    I think Jenkins is the BPA and he feels a need. Their QB situation is a mess right now, so personally Woodson would be the pick here if I am Baltimore.

10. KC: Calais Campbell DE Miami
    I really don't think DE is a need for Kansas City, especially when they have a huge need for OL. I would go with Sedrick Ellis here, the DT out of USC. Ryan McBean has been a pleasant surprise for them, but Ellis is a stud and I wouldn't pass on him.

11. CAR: Dan Connor OLB Penn State
    I think there are a lot of good ILBs and you can find a very good OLB in round 2 and 3 in this draft class, so I'd pass on Connor here. Carolina can't pass up on either Woodson or Kenny Phillips here. David Carr has been a huge bust for them, Jake Delhomme won't ever win a Super Bowl, and Vinny Testaverde is a great story but I don't see him playing when he is 47. Smith will lobby for Woodson like Ray Lewis lobbied for Haloti Ngata.

12. CHI: Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky
    Chicago gets a cold steal here. Woodson is a very poised QB, but has suffered from having streaky accuracy this season.

13. NO: Aqib Talib CB Kansas
    I think Sedrick Ellis is a better player than Talib so that would be my pick, but I would never see Talib in a Saints uniform and the pick makes a lot of sense so I like the creativity here.

14. PHI: Sam Baker T USC
    Can't disagree with this pick, but they have to consider the best WR in the board, Malcolm Kelly/DeSean Jackson at this spot. Tough decision and I think it is the right pick but Philly must address WR.

15. DEN: Sedrick Ellis DT USC
    I like the pick of Ellis, but I personally wouldn't pass on Kenny Phillips here. Tough pick for Denver, it basically depends on the bigger need area which imo is S.

16. BUF: Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
    Like Bowe to Kansas City this is a great fit.

17. ARZ: Kenny Phillips S Miami
    I wouldn't pass up here on Jonathan Stewart, but Phillips is a heck of a player and they are getting great value.

18. HOU: Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
    I like this pick as you know, but they should also consider DeSean Jackson, would be a perfect fit opposite Andre Johnson.

19. SD: Frank Okam NT Texas
    I think San Diego could use an upgrade at right tackle so I'd take Ryan Clady here, but thats just me. Derrick Harvey would make for an interesting selection. If San Diego loses a lot of games towards the end of the year, don't be surprised if they make a move to trade up and get James Laurinaitis. Okam is a safe pick. They need to replace Jamal Williams eventually.

20. Quentin Groves DE Auburn
    I think this is a little too high for Groves, and I think he is too small to play DE in the 4-3. I don't think this is a very good fit personally and I think they have to address WR here considering who is on the board. Also, they could use OL and I would consider Clady here as well.

I am just doing the top 20.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

The top QB situation is tough. Andre Woodson seems more like the type of player that Minnesota likes Culpepper-Jackson-Woodson.

Atlanta's head coach, Petrino, coached Brian Brohm in college so he might want to stick with his guy. Brohm had a great year under Petrino so they might focus more on his Junior year than his senior.

Matt Ryan is a stud and a leader. I think he'll be a great pro one day and any team in need would be lucky to have him. I couldn't see him slipping out of the top 10, but if ATL takes Brohm, maybe KC or BAL would grab him.

Comment

A little low for Woodson
      Walter got PWN3D
      Rams GM

Picks
      2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
      33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
      65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
      101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
      137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
      168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
      180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Matt.

The reason I went OT over WR for the Eagles is because Andy Reid seems to put more stock into his offensive line than his receiving corps, but I really could see him going either way.

You could be right about the Chiefs; defensive end isn't the biggest need, but Campbell would be great value at No. 10, don't you think?
        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
          The top QB situation is tough. Andre Woodson seems more like the type of player that Minnesota likes Culpepper-Jackson-Woodson.

Atlanta's head coach, Petrino, coached Brian Brohm in college so he might want to stick with his guy. Brohm had a great year under Petrino so they might focus more on his Junior year than his senior.

Matt Ryan is a stud and a leader. I think he'll be a great pro one day and any team in need would be lucky to have him. I couldn't see him slipping out of the top 10, but if ATL takes Brohm, maybe KC or BAL would grab him.
          Playing the race card...everyone thinks Woodson is mobile because he is black...um no. He isn't very athletic, or maybe it is because he makes the decision to run the ball a second late in the pocket. He is by no means a Tavaris Jackson type of QB. He is more like a Kellen Clemens. Kinda athletic but not really.

And Walter, Campbell is good value at #10 overall for KC, but I think they have way too many needs to address at a #10 than to go with CC.

Comment

If Jared Allen leaves, they'll need an end.
            2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
              If Jared Allen leaves, they'll need an end.
              Yeah, but it still isn't a bigger need over OT.

Comment

I agree with that actually. It was a tough call between Campbell and Baker, but I ultimately chose the former because he's a higher-rated prospect.
                2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

I agree with that actually. It was a tough call between Campbell and Baker, but I ultimately chose the former because he's a higher-rated prospect.
                  It's a good pick, I mean you can't really complain about either, its all going to come down to what KC's head scout feel is the better prospect.

Comment

Its so rare that both of you agree
                    Walter got PWN3D
                    Rams GM

Picks
                    2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
                    33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
                    65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
                    101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
                    137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
                    168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
                    180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment