History of ringtones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of ringtones

A ringtone or ring tone is the sound made by a telephone to indicate an incoming call. The term, however, is most often used to refer to the customizable sounds available on mobile phones. This facility was originally provided so that people would be able to determine when their phone was ringing when in the company of other mobile phone owners.

A phone only rings when a special "ringing signal" is sent to it. For regular telephones, the ringing signal is a 90-volt, 20-hertz, AC wave generated by the switch to which the telephone is connected. For mobile phones, the ringing signal is a specific radio-frequency signal.

A telephone ring is the sound generated when an incoming telephone call is received. The term originated from the fact that telephones notified the user to an incoming call by repeatedly striking a bell or bells, producing a ringing sound.

This "Magneto" bell system is still in widespread use; newer telephones use electronic sounders to produce other noises, but the term "ring" is still used. The ringing signal sent to a customer's telephone is AC at around 90 volts (at 20 hertz in North America, because of the use of 60 Hz mains; other regions with 50 Hz mains use 25 Hz); modern telephones electronically produce a warbling or chirping sound. The signal is sent for every ring and allows phone operators to provide several services with different kinds of rings (for example, rings with a shorter interval between them might be used to signal a call from a given number). When a home phone rings, it may carry Caller ID information and present it on a screen.

Thanks for the info!
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

I don't really have any special ringtones on my phone - just the regular ring. I never saw the point of having a musical ringtone because I'd just get tired of it.
      2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

LOL... this is the most rambling bunch of nonsense since the Unabomber's manifesto

Comment

Hahahaha
          2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

(thanks to the spammer for a solid topic. Much better than the Paris Hilton talk)

Anyways... My ringtone is a Frank Caliendo impression of John Madden. I've had it for a while and it never gets old lol. You can get ringtones on his website for free if you guys are interested.

Comment

I use Madden 02 by the way.

Comment

Working...
              X