Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You can also make a drink out of it. Yesterday I took the low fat cottage cheese, added oranges and pineapple, put it in the mixer, mixed it and added some water and made a drink.

    Comment


    • Whew I'm up and ready to start my first real workout in a looooooong time. One of my buddies who is a trainer is going to take me through a workout regiment today he made for me. Oddly enough all of my friends are workout nerds so I think I have a leg up there. I'll post later tonight with another update!

      Comment


      • I need a good elliptical routine. Should I just do interval training or fat burning for 30 minutes. Or some custom run that someone can recommend? Eventually I would like to do 45 minutes, but for now 30 is fine. People tell me I should worry about my heart rate on there and honestly I'm not sure how much I should be. It seems like I get nothing out of keeping it at 70% max for 30 minutes. I like spiking it to 90% for 2-3 minutes at a time then slowing down to 70-80%. Is this healthy? My leg muscles never feel sore at the end (i'm giving creatine credit for this) and I'm not sure if I'm working out hard enough.
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




        Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
          I need a good elliptical routine. Should I just do interval training or fat burning for 30 minutes. Or some custom run that someone can recommend? Eventually I would like to do 45 minutes, but for now 30 is fine. People tell me I should worry about my heart rate on there and honestly I'm not sure how much I should be. It seems like I get nothing out of keeping it at 70% max for 30 minutes. I like spiking it to 90% for 2-3 minutes at a time then slowing down to 70-80%. Is this healthy? My leg muscles never feel sore at the end (i'm giving creatine credit for this) and I'm not sure if I'm working out hard enough.
          Interval training will bring up your endurance the fastest and should be safe unless you have a history of heart disease or something of that nature. If you can spike to 90% for 2-3 minutes, that's awesome (but I would suspect you've actually got a higher max HR and you're actually at a lower percentage). Try going back and forth for 3 minutes of your spike and 3 minutes of a slower, calmer pace. If you can do that for 30 minutes, you'll be in good shape. You can either then bump up the plan to 45 minutes, like your goal, or lower the times of the rest intervals.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Alastair View Post
            Interval training will bring up your endurance the fastest and should be safe unless you have a history of heart disease or something of that nature. If you can spike to 90% for 2-3 minutes, that's awesome (but I would suspect you've actually got a higher max HR and you're actually at a lower percentage). Try going back and forth for 3 minutes of your spike and 3 minutes of a slower, calmer pace. If you can do that for 30 minutes, you'll be in good shape. You can either then bump up the plan to 45 minutes, like your goal, or lower the times of the rest intervals.
            Thank you. I will try that next time.
            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




            Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

            Comment


            • Depends. Interval training if done correctly shouldn't last more than 15 minutes because you're just physically unable to continue, alternating between elliptical levels 3 and 18 every 30 - 45 seconds is what I do. It's designed to be at the high level you are pushing your hardest and at the lowest level you are doing nothing more than casually walking.

              I like intervals, but wouldn't do it more than once per week if I were trying to add muscle. But the cardio where you keep your heartrate at like 150ish for 45+ minutes, that's like all fat you burn.

              It really comes down to preference, but if your goal is to get bigger I wouldn't do this on the same day you do legs because that will just siphon the muscle off of them if you do a lot of resistance training on them followed by intense cardio. I find it actually easier to push myself harder and forget the target heartrate because just keeping myself at 150 is boring and requires focus, where I have to keep looking down to make sure it is good... It's easier to just run.

              Edit - To clarify, I don't think it is possible to maintain peak effort on one of the highest level of an elliptical for 3 minutes multiple times in a half hour. You could try harder than when you are on the lower level, but it won't be your best effort each time. The lower time increments let you dig deep for the burst and get the heartrate spike.
              Originally posted by Daniel
              Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

              That's how you sound.
              lmao

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                Depends. Interval training if done correctly shouldn't last more than 15 minutes because you're just physically unable to continue, alternating between elliptical levels 3 and 18 every 30 - 45 seconds is what I do. It's designed to be at the high level you are pushing your hardest and at the lowest level you are doing nothing more than casually walking.

                I like intervals, but wouldn't do it more than once per week if I were trying to add muscle. But the cardio where you keep your heartrate at like 150ish for 45+ minutes, that's like all fat you burn.

                It really comes down to preference, but if your goal is to get bigger I wouldn't do this on the same day you do legs because that will just siphon the muscle off of them if you do a lot of resistance training on them followed by intense cardio. I find it actually easier to push myself harder and forget the target heartrate because just keeping myself at 150 is boring and requires focus, where I have to keep looking down to make sure it is good... It's easier to just run.
                I'm not trying to necessarily add muscle. I'm looking to lose body fat (i want abs) and maybe add some size.

                Also i need to add some ab work in and was thinking I had time on cardio day. Is this a good idea? If so what do you recommend as a 10-15 min ab routine?
                WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




                Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

                Comment


                • Losing fat, I would recommend mixing up the cardio in that case because both have good benefits, Interval training has shown to hit receptors in the abdomen that trigger fat burning, so that is a plus for that one... Just you can't do it a whole lot and expect your body to keep up. How many days do you want to do cardio / what other body parts are you doing that day if any?
                  Originally posted by Daniel
                  Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

                  That's how you sound.
                  lmao

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                    Losing fat, I would recommend mixing up the cardio in that case because both have good benefits, Interval training has shown to hit receptors in the abdomen that trigger fat burning, so that is a plus for that one... Just you can't do it a whole lot and expect your body to keep up. How many days do you want to do cardio / what other body parts are you doing that day if any?
                    Right now I only have 1 day for cardio and that's all i do at the moment. It's my shortest day which is nice. I added it 1 month ago and went from 3 days a week to 4. I don't really want to add any more days. But I would love advice.

                    Monday = Squats/Legs
                    Wed = Bench/Arms
                    Thursday = Cardio
                    Friday = Deadlift/Shoulders
                    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




                    Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

                    Comment


                    • I would keep Monday as it is, not add any cardio... Or if you want to do cardio, do line jumps... Where there is a line on the ground and you jump back and forth over it, only allowing your toes / front of your foot to hit... Very explosive calf workout that builds up a sweat.

                      Wednesday, I would add like 10-15 minutes of light cardio, like the 150HR kind.

                      Thursday, I would do the interval training...You can try the longer version, but I really like the short 15-minute version where it's fast pace alternating and I think it is better overall.

                      Friday, same thing as Wednesday with adding 10-15 minutes of light cardio.

                      If you wanted to do an ab workout, I would do this:

                      Bench Crunch
                      Side Bend (with weight so that you're getting 20+ on each side)
                      Leg Raise, the kind with bringing your feet directly vertical while lying on the ground
                      Hip Flexor Leg Raise, lying on your side raising one leg (like 10-20 times) then switch sides
                      Side Hyperextensions, no weight just focus on extending the whole way down and then coming up so that you squeeze your other side at the top (like 10-20)

                      If you have one of those ab wheel things, you can do that here. If not, the yoga position with your feet and hands on the ground, but you're curved and looking up at the ceiling -- hold this while taking 10+ deep breathes, you'll feel the ab contraction.

                      Then if you want, plank complex. Plank on your left side, right side, and then front. Left and right will obviously be shorter than the front, after this type of ab workout... I doubt the side will last any longer than 45 seconds, but push for it and it'll pay off. Front could be a minute or longer. You can assign your own marks for this, just try to improve over time.
                      Originally posted by Daniel
                      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

                      That's how you sound.
                      lmao

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                        I would keep Monday as it is, not add any cardio... Or if you want to do cardio, do line jumps... Where there is a line on the ground and you jump back and forth over it, only allowing your toes / front of your foot to hit... Very explosive calf workout that builds up a sweat.

                        Wednesday, I would add like 10-15 minutes of light cardio, like the 150HR kind.

                        Thursday, I would do the interval training...You can try the longer version, but I really like the short 15-minute version where it's fast pace alternating and I think it is better overall.

                        Friday, same thing as Wednesday with adding 10-15 minutes of light cardio.

                        If you wanted to do an ab workout, I would do this:

                        Bench Crunch
                        Side Bend (with weight so that you're getting 20+ on each side)
                        Leg Raise, the kind with bringing your feet directly vertical while lying on the ground
                        Hip Flexor Leg Raise, lying on your side raising one leg (like 10-20 times) then switch sides
                        Side Hyperextensions, no weight just focus on extending the whole way down and then coming up so that you squeeze your other side at the top (like 10-20)

                        If you have one of those ab wheel things, you can do that here. If not, the yoga position with your feet and hands on the ground, but you're curved and looking up at the ceiling -- hold this while taking 10+ deep breathes, you'll feel the ab contraction.

                        Then if you want, plank complex. Plank on your left side, right side, and then front. Left and right will obviously be shorter than the front, after this type of ab workout... I doubt the side will last any longer than 45 seconds, but push for it and it'll pay off. Front could be a minute or longer. You can assign your own marks for this, just try to improve over time.
                        Cool thanks Swag. Do I do cardio before or after weights?
                        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




                        Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

                        Comment


                        • ok **** you guys

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Tango View Post
                            ok **** you guys
                            I saw the post. I'm just not the right person to respond to it. Sorry.
                            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator




                            Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Tango View Post
                              ok **** you guys
                              Haven't read it, so can't judge it.

                              Comment


                              • I've never seen that book. I know earlier that I put up an anatomical weightlifting guide, but that's the only book I've put any serious reading into.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X