No announcement yet.

The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know any good rotator cuff strengthening exercises? Gotta get that MPH up

Comment

• Originally posted by football2ky View Post
      Anyone know any good rotator cuff strengthening exercises? Gotta get that MPH up
      I covered it a bit here in a previous post:

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
      As far as the exercises go, focus on internal and external rotation. The exercises should like this:

To ensure that you're not recruiting the wrong muscles, really focus on making sure that your elbow doesn't move from the starting location and only pivots. If you're starting out, you may want to roll up a hand towel and pin it to your side with the elbow. Your pec is going to want to cheat for you so don't let your elbow roll forward on the internal rotations. You'll also want to make sure your forearm stays level as any upward or downward movement can let your bicep or tricep do some of the work. This is not an exercise to try and get one rep maxes with. If you tear one of these tendons, you're looking at a lot of rehab and possibly having it never heal correctly. Try to aim for a weight that allows you to hit 10-15 reps per set.
      When I had my gym membership, I was using a cable system with 20-30 lbs. With rotator cuff exercises, I can't stress how important form is. Any deviations from doing it correctly will recruit other, larger muscles into the exercise and destroy the benefit. When these exercises become too routine, you can challenge yourself by performing the same rotating motion, but bringing your elbow to a set point away from your body. For example, do a set with your upper arm 15 degrees away from your body, progress it all the way up to doing the rotations with your upper arm parallel to the ground.

Finally, you mentioned getting your MPH up. Are you a baseball pitcher? If so, don't rely on your rotator cuff to provide the speed or whip to your arm. You'll end up damaging not only the cuff, but the ligaments in your elbow. At the beginning of your whip, try to get the joints of your arm all at 90 degrees. Upper arm should be parallel to the ground, forearm perpindicular, and back of the hand facing the ground with the ball pointed skyward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
        I covered it a bit here in a previous post:

When I had my gym membership, I was using a cable system with 20-30 lbs. With rotator cuff exercises, I can't stress how important form is. Any deviations from doing it correctly will recruit other, larger muscles into the exercise and destroy the benefit. When these exercises become too routine, you can challenge yourself by performing the same rotating motion, but bringing your elbow to a set point away from your body. For example, do a set with your upper arm 15 degrees away from your body, progress it all the way up to doing the rotations with your upper arm parallel to the ground.

Finally, you mentioned getting your MPH up. Are you a baseball pitcher? If so, don't rely on your rotator cuff to provide the speed or whip to your arm. You'll end up damaging not only the cuff, but the ligaments in your elbow. At the beginning of your whip, try to get the joints of your arm all at 90 degrees. Upper arm should be parallel to the ground, forearm perpindicular, and back of the hand facing the ground with the ball pointed skyward.
        Yeah I am a pitcher, I dont really on the cuff very much I try to throw with my lower body as much as possible. Creating separation between the lower and upper helps create velocity. I already do the 90 degree stuff with my arm, I actually have never had a sore arm. That being said I was reading a study that said about 53 percent of velocity comes from the cuff. They said strengthening the cuff could really help your velocity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Deaner View Post
          I skipped abs yesterday, because seriously, I hate doing abs. It just hurts, and I'm still chubby so it's not like they're gonna magically appear.
          This. I'll have abs if I lose weight. Crunches ain't doing squat for me right now.

Comment

• At least you two realize this. Instead of the *****es doing nothing but abs.
            Originally posted by Daniel
            Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
            lmao

Comment

Yeah I am a pitcher, I dont really on the cuff very much I try to throw with my lower body as much as possible. Creating separation between the lower and upper helps create velocity. I already do the 90 degree stuff with my arm, I actually have never had a sore arm. That being said I was reading a study that said about 53 percent of velocity comes from the cuff. They said strengthening the cuff could really help your velocity.
              I would say core strength trumps all for pitching velocity. I'm not talking crunches either. Do some serious hardcore dynamic plank and trunk rotational exercises and you'll start picking up velocity. Speed is generated from the hips and legs and diverted into the arm via the core muscles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
                I would say core strength trumps all for pitching velocity. I'm not talking crunches either. Do some serious hardcore dynamic plank and trunk rotational exercises and you'll start picking up velocity. Speed is generated from the hips and legs and diverted into the arm via the core muscles.
                This is exactly what my coach at my velocity camp and my Dad have been telling me. Now I just gotta start getting a routine, I will google some good dynamic plank work and trunk rotational exercises.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                  At least you two realize this. Instead of the *****es doing nothing but abs.
                  One of my friends I workout with is like this. I tell him every single day that unless he starts dieting and hitting the treadmill with me he's just gonna have a really muscular gut, but nobody ever listens.

Comment

• Just pulled 500lbs for a single deadlift. Very happy.
                    JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS CMD V

Comment

This is exactly what my coach at my velocity camp and my Dad have been telling me. Now I just gotta start getting a routine, I will google some good dynamic plank work and trunk rotational exercises.
                      If your coach can't help you, and you don't trust google, you can post it here and I'm sure we could come up with something. I don't know much about baseball or baseball workouts, but if you just want a strong core I could do that lol

Originally posted by The Deaner View Post
                      One of my friends I workout with is like this. I tell him every single day that unless he starts dieting and hitting the treadmill with me he's just gonna have a really muscular gut, but nobody ever listens.
                      Yeah, people refuse to listen. Girls are even worse. They do endless abs, so I figure I'll be nice and tell them that if they want abs they really need to do legs instead, and they get offended and think I'm calling them fat.

Originally posted by NYJETS80 View Post
                      Just pulled 500lbs for a single deadlift. Very happy.
                      Very nice sir. Never been that high myself for actual reps, killed my joints doing the immovable weights for a week and then decided never again lol...and deads at any weight always killed my hands to such a degree where I would just have to drop it from pain
                      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                      lmao

Comment

• Somehow I have a bunch of Greek Yogurt set to expire tomorrow, so I took all 6 of them and dumped them into a blender. With a fist full of blue berries, 1/4 of a pineapple, half a squeezed lemon, and then 2 scoops of probiotics.

Now I feel really sick, but it was worth it.

That's how you sound.
                        lmao

Comment

• How common would you say people who take steroids are at your local gym? There seems like a lot of juicers to me.

Comment

• Went to a random gym to do legs. I figure I'm just gonna mooch off free trials until I go to school.

It was a pretty clean and fancy gym, but idk, it's kinda lacking. Only one squat rack (I was the only one using it, so sall good) and no hyperextension thing, calf or hip flexor machine.

They have one hamstring and quad machine, but they feel so weird. I try to change all the levers and seat positions, but it still ends up being painful so I didn't do it.

So I just used the good ole dumbbells and did a bunch of random stuff

Edit: They also had a lot of these fancy stuff

Last edited by RoflDogs; 07-26-2013, 09:26 PM.

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Is it worth trying to get ripped without using steroids?
                              http://bloochat.com/walterfootball <------------- WF.CHAT HERE

Comment

• Originally posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
                                Is it worth trying to get ripped without using steroids?
                                Eh. If you don't take it to extremes, then no. You'll never look like the guys that are absolutely shredded in magazines and television without using gear.

You can still improve how you look and have a nice physique, but you won't look like those guys if you're just casual with it.

That's how you sound.
                                lmao

Comment

Working...
                                X